Electrical mechanical engineer/fitter, want to move on to something different

Soldato
Evening all!

Ok so where do I start...
Let's start with some info on myself and education.
So I'm 26 years old, finished school (didn't do well at all!) Then went to college, did mechanical engineering and got my NVQ level 2, then got a job at my current job as a packer, then got into a better role, which I still do now as a electrical mechanical engineer/fitter.

I build and repair drum motors for converyor systems, now it dosent pay to bad, 25k a year, 39hour weeks and on salary. However there is nowhere else for me to progress, I've been thinking about a complete career change for a while now.

I would like to get into software development or coding etc, is this something you need to go to university for or something? I should also state I have a young family so taking a pay cut is something I can't really do, so I feel that's going to be a big problem.

So where would you guys suggest I start? I seen a course for £999, obviously I don't want to be spending that sort of money at the moment without knowing if I'm trying to get into something that's just not possible for me.

My IT knowledge is also quite slim, I've built a few PC's the usual PC gamer stuff but nothing software related etc

So yeh where would I start? Online course? YouTube?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom