Full new system needed £3k to £4k

Associate
Hey guys,

I bought a very high end PC from overclockers about 8 years ago, I've done a few bits to it over the years but its sadly time to retire it.

I'm really out of the loop with the latest tech so looking for some pointers.

I mainly play games like Rust which regularly freezes on me now even in Potato mode. However a new system will let me enjoy some more modern games too!

Can anyone recommend a build from the overclockers store, I will need new monitor, keyboard and mouse and 7.1 headset also so literally a full set up.

I would like to repurchase with overclockers as I was really impressed with their service many years ago, I had an issue with a graphics card and they upgraded it for free in the store in about 10 minutes time, I think they won my loyalty from then!

I must admit now I'm earning a lot more I do like some of the bling RGB stuff I'm seeing so Asus Strix kit does have me tempted!

Any opinions are welcome

Edit: I'm willing to spend a bit of extra cash for a bit of future proofing

Soldato
Lumi - Please build it yourself - it's rewarding but more importanly you'll get more performance.

I recommend a 3950x and 2080ti build.

one of the nutters will spec you up shortly, have fun!

Associate
OP
Lumi - Please build it yourself - it's rewarding but more importanly you'll get more performance.

I recommend a 3950x and 2080ti build.

one of the nutters will spec you up shortly, have fun!

Hey thanks, I'm thinking of buying an overclocked bundle and having a go at putting it together I'm sure YouTube will have some videos for newbies at self building. If someone could recommend a shopping list that would be amazing

Soldato
Hey thanks, I'm thinking of buying an overclocked bundle and having a go at putting it together I'm sure YouTube will have some videos for newbies at self building. If someone could recommend a shopping list that would be amazing

most welcome - the 3950x and most Ryzen chips are pretty much running close to Max speed - Don't buy binned chips your literally paying 40% more for 3-5% IMPROVEMENT AT MOST. I suggest buying individual parts, an NVME drive is a must ( it's much faster version of SSD ) theres endless building guides on youtube - just avoid the verge :p - if you get stuck please ask that's what this forum is for, go for 1440p rust looks beautiful with everything on max!!

forgot to add buy a Superflower PSU

Associate
OP
most welcome - the 3950x and most Ryzen chips are pretty much running close to Max speed - Don't buy binned chips your literally paying 40% more for 3-5% IMPROVEMENT AT MOST. I suggest buying individual parts, an NVME drive is a must ( it's much faster version of SSD ) theres endless building guides on youtube - just avoid the verge :p - if you get stuck please ask that's what this forum is for, go for 1440p rust looks beautiful with everything on max!!

What Power PSU would I need to run a 2080 Ti? Biggest I can see for superflower is 650W platinum rated

Soldato
What Power PSU would I need to run a 2080 Ti? Biggest I can see for superflower is 650W platinum rated

heres a quick build no expenses spared build - ie balls to the walls - you can make adjustmesnts as needed - the monitor is personal taste - it's quiet expensive you can always get a triple monitor setup instead

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £4,247.82 (includes shipping: £28.02)

Associate
OP

Wow that's great thank you for spending the time to do that much appreciated

Soldato
A 1200w psu for a 2080ti?!

@Lumi - you don't need to spend that much on a system and I would steer clear of the 3950X for gaming as you're not going to see much improvement over a 3700X. Get a decent motherboard, a 3700X and then when AMD release their next gen chips you can upgrade then if you like - they're not that far away really. When spending on a gaming machine, after a certain amount of £'s spent there's diminishing returns in performance. You want the best bang/per-pound-spent.

To answer your question about the power supply for a 2080ti I'd get a 750w Seasonic or Superflower unit with a good warranty. That'll guarantee a good amount of headroom. Corsair have some good units too with decent warranties but they don't make their own units where-as Seasonic and Superflower do and are mostly very well regarded.

@faceman123 - I don't agree with that at all, seems like you're spending his money for the sake of it, sorry.

@Plec, @tamzzy , @EsaT , @Danny75 might be able to help with a full system - I'd wait until you get a few more ideas before committing to spending that amount of money. I'd do a build for you but I don't have the time right now.

Soldato
^^ I agree with Ted on the cpu/psu. A 3700X is more than good enough. The best way to go about it is buy what you need today. You can easily upgrade or buy a new setup in the future. That way you keep up to date with hardware. By the time you need a 16 core cpu for gaming AM4 will be long past it's sell by date.

Soldato
A 1200w psu for a 2080ti?!

@Lumi - you don't need to spend that much on a system and I would steer clear of the 3950X for gaming as you're not going to see much improvement over a 3700X. Get a decent motherboard, a 3700X and then when AMD release their next gen chips you can upgrade then if you like - they're not that far away really. When spending on a gaming machine, after a certain amount of £'s spent there's diminishing returns in performance. You want the best bang/per-pound-spent.

To answer your question about the power supply for a 2080ti I'd get a 750w Seasonic or Superflower unit with a good warranty. That'll guarantee a good amount of headroom. Corsair have some good units too with decent warranties but they don't make their own units where-as Seasonic and Superflower do and are mostly very well regarded.

@faceman123 - I don't agree with that at all, seems like you're spending his money for the sake of it, sorry.

@Plec, @tamzzy , @EsaT , @Danny75 might be able to help with a full system - I'd wait until you get a few more ideas before committing to spending that amount of money. I'd do a build for you but I don't have the time right now.

Whilst I agree it's an expensive build OP did state he want's the best - and was willing to spend more, why a 1200w - Just to allow potential future upgrades - Could always stick as Second 2080ti eventually

It seems he likes keeping his builds for 8 years old - whilst a 3700x is more than enough - the 3900x is essentially double the CPU

Soldato
@faceman123 - I'm afraid I don't agree and I'd always counsel responsibility when advising someone to spend over £4k - at the very least explain that by 'best' you're talking about maybe a few frames per second. And by the time a second 2080ti makes sense, new cards will be released rendering a second gpu moot and besides, there are too many issues with SLI to recommend it as a viable option. The fact is that the OP could get effectively the same gaming performance by spending considerably less.

Soldato
@faceman123 - I'm afraid I don't agree and I'd always counsel responsibility when advising someone to spend over £4k - at the very least explain that by 'best' you're talking about maybe a few frames per second. And by the time a second 2080ti makes sense, new cards will be released rendering a second gpu moot and besides, there are too many issues with SLI to recommend it as a viable option. The fact is that the OP could get effectively the same gaming performance by spending considerably less.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm just purely specing him the BEST and most future proof today, Whilst a 750w PSU is fine today the options a 1200w would offer op are much better for longevity.

if op does gaming soley then your statement stands however anything else and the 3950 leaves the 3700x in the dust

Soldato
The above recommended builds by faceman are massively overkill, spending a lot of money for little to no benefit.

1200W's is 2-3 times the power requirement of the average gaming PC, even one running a 2080ti and a 8-12c Ryzen.

Here's an idea for a lot less money:

Total: £2,187.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)

1. Meshify case for airflow, but you could swap it out if you dislike the design.
2. 3700X is an 8c16t cpu, there will be little to no difference between it and a 3950X in gaming, if you ever want to upgrade to a higher core CPU you could do so in a couple of years when the 4000 series is out.
3. The Patriot Viper RAM is solid, there will be very little difference in real world performance compared to the 8Pack stuff for almost double the price. It could be worth getting 32GB now over the 16GB listed however, as RAM prices seem to be on the rise and you've plenty of budget.
4. Teamgroup NvME SSD, same deal as I listed under 3.
5. 2080S is 80% of the performance of a 2080ti for substantially less money, although you could also consider saving by opting for a 5700XT or 2070S. The one I selected was in large for the 5 year warranty while being one of the better priced models.
6. A good 650W PSU is more than ample for the rig and will be for years to come, going for a 1200W PSU for a gaming rig is ridiculous.
7. Gigabyte X570 Elite is a fantastic motherboard, there's zero point in spending more money on the likes of the Master unless you specifically need the features it offers. You could even save money and opt for an MSI B450 Pro Carbon or Tomahawk MAX and see no performance difference for actual gaming.

You can pick up a Windows 10 key for a couple of quid if you look around.

The monitor is a suggestion, ultrawides are great but might not be for you. I'd recommend looking at a good 1440P screen if you'd rather a more traditionally sized monitor. That being the case I'd recommend the Pxio PX7 Prime which can be had for £400, review here:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime

If you are not comfortable with building yourself, you could take whichever spec-list you settle on to OCUK and they'll build it for you for a fee.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 3700X will perform more or less the same as a 3950X if you are just gaming. No point having a 16 core cpu with half or more of the cores sat there doing nothing.

The B450 Gaming Pro Carbon is a solid B450 board. If you want X570 then you would want to be looking at the MSI X570 MEG Unify if going with MSI.

Solid 750W psu from Corsair. You can also switch it to multi-rail which is what I would do with a high end setup like this.

There are alternatives with the SSD like the 2TB 660p but it is out of stock. You also have the Sabrent Rocket, but it isn't sold on here.

CoolerMaster AIO with ARGB. The case also has 3 ARGB fans and added a 120mm ARGB for the rear. The MSI board does have a 5V header but not sure if you would need a splitter cable to run the AIO and rear fan (RGB isn't really my thing).

You can get a splitter cable from CoolerMaster for ARGB fans:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cool...ddressable-rgb-fans-and-strips-fg-02r-cm.html

The case itself has a controller for the 3 front fans.

Also there are new gpu's coming from Nvidia this year, so maybe not the best time to be buying a 2080 ti.

Total: £2,376.61 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Associate
OP
The above recommended builds by faceman are massively overkill, spending a lot of money for little to no benefit.

1200W's is 2-3 times the power requirement of the average gaming PC, even one running a 2080ti and a 8-12c Ryzen.

Here's an idea for a lot less money:

Total: £2,187.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)

1. Meshify case for airflow, but you could swap it out if you dislike the design.
2. 3700X is an 8c16t cpu, there will be little to no difference between it and a 3950X in gaming, if you ever want to upgrade to a higher core CPU you could do so in a couple of years when the 4000 series is out.
3. The Patriot Viper RAM is solid, there will be very little difference in real world performance compared to the 8Pack stuff for almost double the price.
4. Teamgroup NvME SSD, same deal as I listed under 3.
5. 2080S is 80% of the performance of a 2080ti for substantially less money, although you could also consider saving by opting for a 5700XT or 2070S. The one I selected was in large for the 5 year warranty while being one of the better priced models.
6. A good 650W PSU is more than ample for the rig and will be for years to come, going for a 1200W PSU for a gaming rig is ridiculous.
7. Gigabyte X570 Elite is a fantastic motherboard, there's zero point in spending more money on the likes of the Master unless you specifically need the features it offers. You could even save money and opt for an MSI B450 Pro Carbon or Tomahawk MAX and see no performance difference for actual gaming.

You can pick up a Windows 10 key for a couple of quid if you look around.

The monitor is a suggestion, ultrawides are great but might not be for you. I'd recommend looking at a good 1440P screen if you'd rather a more traditionally sized monitor. That being the case I'd recommend the Pxio PX7 Prime which can be had for £400, review here:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime

Thank you for your help will do some comparison and have a look at the parts you suggest!

Back
Top Bottom