BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
So I got my desktop survey results back for FTTPoD I was pleasantly surprised that it ‘only’ came in at £4,500 but the distance to the aggregation node is listed as 2000-2,999 metres passing 9 properties. This makes no sense to me as I can’t believe that much engineering work would cost so little and if you travel 2-3km in any direction from my house you go past significantly more than 9 properties. What am I missing or might that distance be a typo?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
So I got my desktop survey results back for FTTPoD I was pleasantly surprised that it ‘only’ came in at £4,500 but the distance to the aggregation node is listed as 2000-2,999 metres passing 9 properties. This makes no sense to me as I can’t believe that much engineering work would cost so little and if you travel 2-3km in any direction from my house you go past significantly more than 9 properties. What am I missing or might that distance be a typo?

That's a pretty good price given the distance, I have no idea how they come up with those numbers.

As my desktop quote was just over double that for a 200-400m run.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The 9 properties are those on/near the existing distribution point for your property. The total number of properties passed on the entire route from the headend to your house isn’t relevant as they can’t tap into the fibre feeding your DP.

That is a low figure but Openreach may be aware from recent works that the ducts are clear and pulling/blowing fibre is the only significant labour required. You’ll find out for sure after paying for the field survey.

Caporegime
It would be interesting to know how much you'd pay for a business leased line in construction costs. We quote all the time and a desktop Survey for business is around £295. Monthly prices are way higher, but it's rare we see survey costs of over the £2,800 contribution. Of course some are way over, but these are very rural. Mind you there's rarely a fibre node in residential areas.

Soldato
The 9 properties are those on/near the existing distribution point for your property. The total number of properties passed on the entire route from the headend to your house isn’t relevant as they can’t tap into the fibre feeding your DP.

That is a low figure but Openreach may be aware from recent works that the ducts are clear and pulling/blowing fibre is the only significant labour required. You’ll find out for sure after paying for the field survey.

I guess that explains the number of properties. Do you happen to know if they give you the addresses post survey so I can do a little ‘campaigning’ with them?

Re the low figure, following some efforts from village residents, about a year ago we persuaded the council to fund a new FTTC cabinet to be placed on our village green by BTOR about 100m away instead of 3km where another one is that we were previously connected to. This involved running fibre on overhead lines some distance to this new cabinet. Would any of this do you think have an impact on the anticipated reasonable costs?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Todays update from Cerberus, is there is no updates and I am still currently waiting on Openreach (BT) to assign somone to a onsite survey so the next update is due next week.

Associate
If I swap from BT to, say, Zen, is it straightforward to keep my number the same? And again if I go back to BT in a year or two? I am out of contract with BT and so far I am not being offered a decent deal by them.

Associate
Just moved to BT from Virgin as I now have FTTC in my area, currently getting 50/10 on my speed tests.

One thing that is disappointing, no modem mode on the router

Associate
Been on BT Fibre for donkeys. Been rock solid. They are now offering me Halo 2 250 fibre for a few extra quid. I dont use a bt hub, ditched that years ago. Do i need to upgrade my router or anything for this service?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I have approached AA ISP, as Zen have now released me from my contract and will be offering a full refund.

So, while I need a tempory service while waiting on the one of the new lines I will see what they can do.

Also what stats do people on here get with a Line attenuation of 15/16 dB? (It should be a 350-400m line) As since the last time Zen requested (Two weeks ago) a reset on my line its been on a 6.1 dB SNR target which has lost a bit more sync speed.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Now that's interesting, as thats nearly more 30Mb than my current sync speeds I get with a lower line attenuation.

Caporegime
Yeah I've always been quite impressed because it's definitely on the upper end of what that distance should be achieving. The line is on a Huawei cabinet with an Openreach filtered faceplate.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Mines also on a Huawei cab and the Openreach enigneer updated all the socket and faceplate on his first visit, I'll see what AA ISP can offer/do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom