Star Trek: Picard

Caporegime
What I always find funny in some star trek episodes. I think it's happened in all series, is that the ships firing phasers, miss.
Surely even at high impulse speeds tracking would be simple as basic physics. How they miss is beyond me.

Countermeasures to stop the hits presumably, i know some trek games like klingon academy had "ecm" systems to stop every shot hitting, guessing its like that in the shows as well, though never really mentioned.

Trek has always been ropey about how shields and weapons work, I was watching an episode of ds9 the other day, 1 hit took the defiant shields to 90%, and the next shot was somehow a direct hit...hows that work?

Direct hit to me would imply a hull impact, so hows that occur If shields are at near full power?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems OK as a series for me,but until I finish the whole season I will not make a proper judgement - some of you moan too much and have no patience at all.Lots of older sci-fi series had 20 to 26 episodes,with many standalone "filler episodes" and took as many of those to establish the crew..with 4 episodes people are already wanting all the answers. B5 took until the second season,to even really start moving forward,and then when you look back you see all the foreshadowing in the first season.

I bet if it was like a 1990s Star Trek tv series,people would be moaning that it was too much like a 1990s Star Trek series,and they have just rehashed old Trek,etc and not moved with the times like The Expanse,etc. If it has too much pew-pew people would moan its too much pew-pew,and if its too more talking and exposition,its too much talking and exposition. I still remember all the people whining about TNG not being "proper Trek" as it wasn't like TOS,DS9 not being "proper Trek" as it was set on a space station and was a ripoff of B5(and B5 was a ripoff of DS9),Voyager was rubbish because it had a female captain(I remember it was controversal thing at the time) and 7 of 9 was "sexing up the series",Enterprise was rubbish as the ship looked like a DS9 ship,etc. Literally every single modern Star Trek series has started with people complaining about it....irrespective of whether the complaints were justified or not.

Man of Honour
Countermeasures to stop the hits presumably, i know some trek games like klingon academy had "ecm" systems to stop every shot hitting, guessing its like that in the shows as well, though never really mentioned.

Trek has always been ropey about how shields and weapons work, I was watching an episode of ds9 the other day, 1 hit took the defiant shields to 90%, and the next shot was somehow a direct hit...hows that work?

Direct hit to me would imply a hull impact, so hows that occur If shields are at near full power?

and don’t forget the battles where the ships had no shields, yet other episodes the shields hold up forever.

Caporegime
and don’t forget the battles where the ships had no shields, yet other episodes the shields hold up forever.

In tng the shields were a big bubble that projected a large distance and and around the ship, and in nemesis they seemed virtually skintight to the ship. Never understood how they were meant to work, they supposedly dampen the impacts but that changed where needed in the episode.

I think sometimes its down to scripts and effects not being on the same page, in way of the warrior for example you had ktinga ships firing red phasers out of their torpedo bay, and in voyager you had a sequence where they get attacked by an old d7 firing torpedoes which tuvok somehow identifies as disruptors.

Last edited:
Soldato
In tng the shields were a big bubble that projected a large distance and and around the ship, and in nemesis they seemed virtually skintight to the ship. Never understood how they were meant to work, they supposedly dampen the impacts but that changed where needed in the episode.

I think sometimes its down to scripts and effects not being on the same page, in way of the warrior for example you had ktinga ships firing red phasers out of their torpedo bay, and in voyager you had a sequence where they get attacked by an old d7 firing torpedoes which tuvok somehow identifies as disruptors.

Star Trek technology moves at the pace of the plot. Its never been a proper hard sci-fi series or attempted to be consistent...the closest of the old series which attempted that was B5,and even B5 only managed consistency with the same showrunner and was written more like a book than a series,and all the races had technological tiers which influenced their own technology. Star Trek has too many series,and too many films with too many showrunners and writers to be able to maintain consistency over so many decades. That is why the bridge in the Enterprise NX01 looks more advanced than the original Enterprise.

Soldato
After this epsidoes I'm decided. I'll watch it as a like Sci fi, but it's awful. Just awful.
Not because of the sets, not because of the actors, imo it's just the writing.
Need I say more than the slippy sliding and Picard awful French villain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That happened because buttons and switches is all they could make back in the 60s. It isnt right to want new shows to stick to the same level of technology as the original show displayed - it's just not believable.

Have to agree, said it numerous times that sticking to those interior and exterior designs just looks out of place in modern series or movies. It's either stick to "canon" to appease the trekkies or update it and endure the whinging.

When the enterprise d was updated for the remastered TNG set in cg I recall someone on YouTube claiming that it had a few too many windows. Apparently he had sat and counted them all, :rolleyes:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That happened because buttons and switches is all they could make back in the 60s. It isnt right to want new shows to stick to the same level of technology as the original show displayed - it's just not believable.

Have to agree, said it numerous times that sticking to those interior and exterior designs just looks out of place in modern series or movies. It's either stick to "canon" to appease the trekkies or update it and endure the whinging.

I seem to recall those fancy-dan 'advanced' touchscreen interfaces working out really well in the STD episode "An Obol For Charon" after the computer went screwy and started translating everything into different languages ;) I reckon the crew would have been pining for some nice physical buttons, toggle switches and sliders by that point!

And I wouldn't mind (NARRATOR: yes, he would), but there's current day real world reasons for not sending a spacecraft up with absolutely state-of-the-art computer hardware and control interfaces. Sometimes it's because it needs to be hardened against radiation, sometimes it's a weight and packaging deal, and sometimes it's because it's just fancy enough to break.

When the enterprise d was updated for the remastered TNG set in cg I recall someone on YouTube claiming that it had a few too many windows. Apparently he had sat and counted them all, :rolleyes:

Well, to be fair several studio models depicted the Ent-D in the original production and the remaster, along with a CG one for certain shots in the remastered episodes that needed redoing. And the 4ft model deliberately didn't match the original 2ft and 6ft models because they altered it to get the Ten Forward windows into the saucer rim.

RQZSGjV.png

Commissario

ST has never been consistent with shields and weapons.

The logical answer would be that the shields probably aren't originating from a single emitter source*, how else would you get something to cover the hull especially in something like the Galaxy Class where the ship can split in two or more (and only an idiot would design something vital with only one source**, so a hit might weaken the overall strength of the field by X amount, but also weaken some areas a lot more as the emitters have to reset/recharge or damaged ones are taken offline automatically and the computer re-balances the array.

But like so much trek "technology" it's entirely down to how lazy the writers are with the story this week, and has been since the original series, a bit like how certain parts of the ship (usually ones they've already got a set for...) seem to get hit a lot more often than others.

*Assuming the "deflector dish" is basically for protecting the ship in normal flight where you don't need the full shields, but do need something very powerful at the front of the craft.

**We'll assume at this point the guy who designs the shields is a different guy to the one who decides that they don't need/over current/surge protection on the controls in use on the bridge, as the crew is so much cheaper to replace than a gold pressed latinum 3amp fuse.

Soldato

I know but people were moaning over that too(it can't mantain consistency due to the long timespan of the series over 50 years and modern day technology has changed) - its just people get too caught up in the minute details with Star Trek,and TBH if you look at the TOS,the new series did end up more violent and darker in certain aspects(it was a 1960s series after all). So I find it weird people are expecting a 2020 Star Trek series to be exactly the same as series from the 1980s and 1990s,when the 1980s and 1990s Trek series were much different from TOS.

The characters have to have zero changes from 20 to 25 years ago.....even if they watched their beloved series they would find from the first series to the last series characters change. Data changed from his first apperances to his last...Worf changed,Sisko changed,7 of 9 changed....its literally called character development and not all of it will go positively.

Star Trek fans have moaned at every new Star Trek series after TOS. TNG wasn't proper Trek as it was not like TOS,DS9 was not proper Trek as it was a space station(Sisko is a Kirk ripoff people were saying,and it was too much like B5 apparently according to commentors),Voyager was worse than TNG(and it was apparently pandering to people as the captain was a female and had a Native American character),Enterprise was rubbish as it was not TNG and the tech looked more advanced,the ship looked like it was from DS9,etc.

Literally years later the same fans say...oh in retrospective it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

This is why we never had a new series for so long,and why the reboot films just decided to do a big middle finger to the old fans(they made more money than any of the old ones off the back of new viewers),who moan about everything and call it is awful as they nitpick on everything...people are even moaning this is a weekly show,and its too slow.

Yet,where were the same lot when we had 20~26 episode seasons,which moved at the rate of an anaemic snail with tons of filler episodes? Babylon 5 anyone? I honestly think they should just not bother making new Trek series sometimes. Its impossible for showrunners to be able to satisfy literally every nitpick.

Last edited:
Soldato
BTW,if people want to see how some of the funny parts of TNG involving Picard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GyP7i6mNxs

Some of its cringe-worthy.

Out-take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ8iJsA6HU

Yes,that is Patrick Stewart wearing a hat,singing a song from a musical as Picard on the set.

Patrick Stewart actually was a bit of a joker on TNG....that french impression comes across more as him,than something a writer came up with him.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My favourite Star Trek is TNG, DS9 and Voyager. The rest are just not no way near as good as far as I am concerned. Star Trek Picard included (so far).

In order to make this show more enjoyable I have decided to consider it a different universe and not the one the Picard and Starfleet I remember are from. It does help make it more enjoyable for sure. Will definitely continue watching.

Back
Top Bottom