Things I don't like (TIDL) thread

Caporegime
Do you really believe it would bother me if that was indeed the case? Obviously I'm going the speed limit (probably just over) when it annoys me. But you keep on assuming I'm driving like a granny and won't pull over - and I'll keep going slower if the situation warrants it.

And just exacerbate the problem. It's also amazing how often I've spoken to someone I've been stuck behind who assumed they were doing the limit and weren't.

Man of Honour
Do you really believe it would bother me if that was indeed the case? Obviously I'm going the speed limit (probably just over) when it annoys me. But you keep on assuming I'm driving like a granny and won't pull over - and I'll keep going slower if the situation warrants it.

I'm exactly the same, usually I'm normally a bit over the speed limit but if somebody gets close I also slow right down.

Caporegime
When my work colleague picks up my mug at the top so his fingers are all over the bit i put my mouth to...

Seriously, i don't know where you fingers have been. Just pick it up using the handle, or at the very least further down, like a normal person.

Caporegime

I hope you aren't one of those that speed up as soon as they overtake you as well :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It's likely you assume you do. You're also assuming you're correct. As I said, its amazing how many people get it wrong.
You're literally calling me stupid :) If someone shows aggression around my speed, I will check my speed (as in, what I'm doing and what I should be doing) before getting defensive.

But I guess lots of people are bullish and stubborn so will just assume they are right.

E: TBF 95% of my driving is the same familiar routes I've done hundreds of times.

Caporegime
You're literally calling me stupid :) If someone shows aggression around my speed, I will check my speed (as in, what I'm doing and what I should be doing) before getting defensive.

But I guess lots of people are bullish and stubborn so will just assume they are right.

E: TBF 95% of my driving is the same familiar routes I've done hundreds of times.

No, if I was calling you stupid I'd be pretty clear about it. I'm saying a lot of people clearly assume the limits and get them wrong. Or don't care. Hence why people end up with speeding tickets or being pulled over by the police for causing an obstruction.
There multiple threads over in motors about the 40mph morons that clutter the roads. They're the prime example.

Soldato
It's also amazing how often I've spoken to someone I've been stuck behind who assumed they were doing the limit and weren't.

That really would be amazing, considering that probably 99.9% of the people we drive behind are complete strangers that we'll never know or converse with. What do you do, overtake them Dukes of Hazard style and block them off. Then, tap their drivers window with your ring and scowl at them over your gold rimmed sunnies?

Not only are you finding yourself driving behind people that you know, but amazingly lots of these people drive so slowly that you have to have a word with them about it afterwards?

Do you even own a car? :p

Caporegime
That really would be amazing, considering that probably 99.9% of the people we drive behind are complete strangers that we'll never know or converse with. What do you do, overtake them Dukes of Hazard style and block them off. Then, tap their drivers window with your ring and scowl at them over your gold rimmed sunnies?

Not only are you finding yourself driving behind people that you know, but amazingly lots of these people drive so slowly that you have to have a word with them about it afterwards?

Do you even own a car? :p

Or you know...You end up next to them at lights or the same destination. Plus the town I live in has fewer than 200 people so it's fairly easy to bump in to the same person repeatedly.

Permabanned
Never in my life have I ever spoken to someone that was driving too close when we pulled up at the lights, nor arrived at the same destination. And if a town has less than 200 people in it, it's not a town it's a village.

Caporegime
"Excuse me mate, can you lower your window please? I just need to tell you that you were driving at 28mph in a 30mph zone, get a grip"
"But my speedo was showing 30mph!"
"No mate, I've got F1 computers in here and they're bang on"

Or...They're driving at 40 in a 60 and already have their window down and I have my roof down?

Permabanned
It held a market. Therefore town.

It's less than 200 people. It could hold a tent and be considered a circus. Inbred bearded ladies and all.

And as for speed. Just because a road is posted at X miles an hour, does not mean you have to drive at X miles an hour. And if you're right up someone's arse because they're not driving at X miles an hour, you're a ****** who probably spends most of his time on motoring forums blithering on about how awful everyone else's driving is compared to yours. Almost as insufferable a bunch as the ones that never shut the **** up about non-existent road tax.

Caporegime
It's less than 200 people. It could hold a tent and be considered a circus. Inbred bearded ladies and all.

And as for speed. Just because a road is posted at X miles an hour, does not mean you have to drive at X miles an hour. And if you're right up someone's arse because they're not driving at X miles an hour, you're a ****** who probably spends most of his time on motoring forums blithering on about how awful everyone else's driving is compared to yours. Almost as insufferable a bunch as the ones that never shut the **** up about non-existent road tax.

No, you don't. But if the traffic conditions allow you should. Otherwise you're intentionally inconveniencing other people which is nothing short of being a ****.

Soldato
On the subject of tailgating etc, yesterday I had my first play with a car equipped with front-facing radar and adaptive cruise control. I had a good poke around to see how it thinks and I was really quite impressed.

First I worked out when to pull out to overtake efficiently, I.e. before the system began to slow me down as I approached the car in front. Then I noticed that when it wasn't possible to overtake the car in front and the system kicked-in and slowed me down, when it eventually became possible to overtake, when I indicated to pass, the system would apply more throttle even before I changed lane.

Really clever stuff (mind you, we still point at helicopters around here :)).

Anyway, back on topic...

Permabanned
No, you don't. But if the traffic conditions allow you should.

Says who? If by "traffic conditions allow" you mean to say, "there's little traffic, so I think other people should be driving how I expect them to".

Otherwise you're intentionally inconveniencing other people which is nothing short of being a ****.

I wish I was so important that I had to be everywhere yesterday. If not going the maximum posted speed limit is inconveniencing, you might want to have a look at yourself. And realise you're not as important as you think you are. Because I tell you what... being followed up the arse by a self important ****** in a sports car who simply isn't happy because other people dared to be on the road today and are not following the rules insofar as he alone seems to understand them is acting more the **** than someone who you've determined is "intentionally inconveniencing" you because they're not driving how you think they should drive.

Caporegime
Says who? If by "traffic conditions allow" you mean to say, "there's little traffic, so I think other people should be driving how I expect them to".

I wish I was so important that I had to be everywhere yesterday. If not going the maximum posted speed limit is inconveniencing, you might want to have a look at yourself. And realise you're not as important as you think you are. Because I tell you what... being followed up the arse by a self important ****** in a sports car who simply isn't happy because other people dared to be on the road today and are not following the rules insofar as he alone seems to understand them is acting more the **** than someone who you've determined is "intentionally inconveniencing" you because they're not driving how you think they should drive.

Says the law. Since you're determined to act like a coffin dodger here's a link for one...

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/why-driving-too-slowly-is-dangerous

"However, driving too slowly or braking without good cause is an offence, coming under the scope of ‘inconsiderate driving’. This is defined as driving a vehicle on a road or in a public place without reasonable consideration for other people."

If you weren't so short sighted and ignorant you might realise that you darling tends to impact multiple people. Try using your rear facing mirrors and you'll often notice more than one car being held up.

Back
Top Bottom