Floods-Winter 2020

Soldato
I live in the South East, I can't remember it ever flooding.

I feel bad for the poor people who are being affected by this though, it looks awful and more rain on the way.

Lets see, its flooded in Lewes a few years back, Uckfield too, both serious. There was flooding around Chichester the A27 was basically closed for huge lengths passed a fire engine pumping out flood waters. Masses of flooded fields.

n.b. you're probably safer taking a diesel through a flood like the van earlier as no electrics to cut out, was in a massive cloudburst once that turned the road down the hill into a raging torrent, huge waves from idiots driving at full pelt through it, electric warning light/charging light came on in the dash and the engine started lacking power/dying, thought I wasn't going to make it, got back eventually though. Petrol engine in the car...

Man of Honour
n.b. you're probably safer taking a diesel through a flood like the van earlier as no electrics to cut out, was in a massive cloudburst once that turned the road down the hill into a raging torrent, huge waves from idiots driving at full pelt through it, electric warning light/charging light came on in the dash and the engine started lacking power/dying, thought I wasn't going to make it, got back eventually though. Petrol engine in the car...

No guarantees with diesel either - someone I know flooded the engine on their work van recently (last lot of flooding not this) wasn't even that deep and it cut out due to water getting in and it is a fairly high up intake on that van (600mm wading depth) = 5 grands worth of repairs.

Man of Honour
If flood water ever reached me there would also be Angels in the sky blowing Trumpets, or at the least, a beardy bloke at the top of the hill building a big boat with Animals queueing up to get onto it! :p

For the last 40 years Mrs Poole will say the same thing "What if we had floods like that?" and I also say "Well Noah would be floating past since we live on a hill".
She always responds "You never know".

But seriously back in 1980 areas were getting flooded so when we bought our house I purposely opted for houses on a hill.
I've never understood people buying property next to the sea, canals or rivers.
However I've never known anybody getting flooded next to a canal or I've never seen the canal any higher than it normally is!!! - they must have a big drain hole or something.

Man of Honour
For the last 40 years Mrs Poole will say the same thing "What if we had floods like that?" and I also say "Well Noah would be floating past since we live on a hill".
She always responds "You never know".

But seriously back in 1980 areas were getting flooded so when we bought our house I purposely opted for houses on a hill.
I've never understood people buying property next to the sea, canals or rivers.
However I've never known anybody getting flooded next to a canal or I've never seen the canal any higher than it normally is!!! - they must have a big drain hole or something.

I live less than a mile from the sea. We have had some minor flooding where I am, mainly busting drains but nothing major. We had an epic burst pipe a few weeks back that took out water and flooded much worse than the current weather. The environment agency sends me texts because my property is situated in an area that is a flood risk but it has not flooded in at least the last 100 years and im not even 100% sure why or how they have my number.

Soldato
OP

A Canal is not a river, it is basically a big water tank. A canal will not overflow any more than your loo cistern will, because it has an overflow run off

Often the problem with canals is lack of water rather than a surplus. Each time a lock is operated, water is lost and has to be replenished. Sometimes this comes from a river or streams, but in some causes it actually has to be pumped.

See https://www.croftonbeamengines.org/

Soldato
I think the reason that rivers burst their banks whereas canals do not is because rainwater from the surrounding land all naturally runs-off into a river (hence why the river initially formed) whereas canals are man-made in areas where this doesn't happen.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51620992 finally... some of us have been saying how silly it is for awhile...

Indeed. Building on flood plains, destroying marshes, dumping sewage and felling all the trees.

My hometown had a massive estate built on the edge around the river/brook that eventually runs through the town. Over the course of two years from the majority of the building being complete, two streets and dozens of houses that back onto said river/brook flooded several times, causing massive damage to their ground floor let alone gardens.

Associate
The council recently re-tarmac'd my road and pavement. But the goats that did it did the pavement at some horrible incline so the water can't run out of my driveway like it used to. So anytime it rains even slightly my driveway turns into a lake. Does that count? Still waiting on them to 'fix' it.

Soldato
Taking to my brother who lives on a 65ft boat on the canal and asked if they flood - He says not as about every few miles is a weir that drains off into streams/brooks etc.
He did say he is getting dizzy as the boat is about 2" higher than normal.

Back
Top Bottom