Geforce Now - Out Of Beta

Soldato
I’ve been having fun playing Rocket League and Hitman in the evenings. If I had the hardware I’d play it locally even if it was only 720p/60 but that’s not possible for me at the moment so this works well enough. I’ve had a few hitches leading to a sudden drop in stream quality and the colours seemed very washed out but on the whole I can’t complain too much for £5/month.

That said... The whole faff of installing the game every time you start it needs addressing ASAP as it kills the plug-and-play vibe but I hear they’re working with Valve on better Steam integration.

Associate
I've been really impressed with this. I've been running it on my shield and using a PS4 controller. I can detect a very small amount of input lag and it's made couch gaming very viable. Sure, I could go out and drop £2000 on a high end HTPC but this is perfectly good enough. If I want maximum quality on a silky smooth g sync monitor, I'll go to the study and game.

Soldato
To be honest I fail to see what market this is aimed at. Its why these services continue to fail and no one has cracked it. PC gamers the type on this forum may use it but thats a minority that wont keep this afloat because the PC Games market is still small compared to the console market. The console owners wont know what it is unless its marketed right but would need millions to make it a success. How do you convert someone who has £500 ready for the next gen console to convert to a subscription service with no hardware. Financially it makes sense but culturally people prefer the hardware and you would need to educate the millions of console owners. To me these services are still too early. You would need the whole country on a stable 50Meg connection so that your platform has a good chance of surviving. We've still got areas of the country averaging 2Meg speeds or still cant get fibre.

I don't see how you can't see who this is aimed at? Not everyone can afford to build a dedicated gaming rig, but most can afford a small Netflix-like subscription, and do have the bandwidth via mobile/home.

Anyone involved I IT infrastructure will be able to tell you how absolutely massive "as a service" offerings are to businesses.

Associate
Anyone had problems with running games that they own through Steam? The VM pops up when i choose a game and then asks me to login to Steam. I login and then SteamGuard says it's detected a new PC and i need to enter a code from an email they will send. Email never arrives though :/

Soldato
I don't see how you can't see who this is aimed at? Not everyone can afford to build a dedicated gaming rig, but most can afford a small Netflix-like subscription, and do have the bandwidth via mobile/home.

Anyone involved I IT infrastructure will be able to tell you how absolutely massive "as a service" offerings are to businesses.

Most people can afford a £500 console (quite often two consoles) and then games at £40 a pop plus a month sub on top. A subscription service like this it needs things like TV advertising and media attention otherwise it will fail.

With regards to your last comment its swings and roundabouts and I've worked through times when the business has gone for a service then done a complete turnaround and converted to in-house as the "as a service" fails to deliver. Especially when it goes bust leaving said business high and dry as there "as a service" suddenly disappears.

Associate
Gutted diablo 3 has been removed...

I could play it max resolution just with the nvidia shield 2019 and decent internet and have recently sold my gaming PC..

Soldato
Had a play tonight - using my Samsung tablet (SM-T580, Android 9) and OnePlus 5T (Android 9), with a variety of input devices:
Switch Pro, DS4, Xbox One (Bluetooth) and Steam Controller, plus an old Logitech MX5500 Bluetooth mouse and a cheap miniature keyboard.

I had a selection of games across a few platforms available (Borderlands 3 on Epic, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor on Steam, Division 2 on Uplay and Anthem on Origin).

I also used the brilliant Power A Moga clip with my phone and the XBone controller, which although heavy, was by far the most mobile/portable solution.

Tried Borderlands 3 on the tablet, using M&K (horribly laggy and unresponsive - but could be due to the age of the M&K), then the Xbox controller (left stick kept drifting unless I clicked L3 to stop and movement was extremely slow).
DS4 worked great, albeit only recognised as a 360 controller with incorrect button mapping - I believe Android 10/Q fixes this, so I'll update my Tablet tomorrow and give it a try.
Switch Pro was also slow - I expect I'm missing a setting to increase sensitivity.

I also had a try with Steam Big Picture mode and the Steam Controller worked far better.

First impressions were slightly disappointing, but promising - I need to have a more thorough play with controller settings or source a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard set that isn't from nearly two decades ago.

I've also found out that Android 10 allows PS4 remote play with the DS4 connected to the tablet, so it looks like my opportunity to play is no longer restricted by when The Wife lets me access the lounge TV.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
My friend who sits next to me at work has been playing around with it this morning on the work wifi, honestly quite impressed by how well some of the games run.

Witcher 3 and ARMA 3 seemed to run really well, even after we cranked the settings up in ARMA. He also noticed that he gets a better ping on WOW compared to his home computer, he said it sits around 30-40 at home, but was getting 8 at work.

Activision Blizzard pulled their games out. They probably realised how good/successful this could be so will probably launch their own...

I'm not convinced about online MP games, certainly FPS at least... Overwatch was unplayable before it was pulled (I tried it during GFN beta using Shield).

Caporegime
I wish their frontend was better, why can't it look at your list of Steam games then just add the compatible ones automatically into the Geforce Now library?

Soldato
shocked that even more developers have left geforce now. i dont get it nvidia just provide an infrastructure to run the games on, people still have to buy the games to play them. its getting worrying, i know some publishers want people to buy the game multiple times to play it on different platforms like buy the game on steam then buy it again on stadia and buy again on geforce now if you want to play on those platforms. publishers being too greedy?

Back
Top Bottom