Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTV

GTV

Associate
Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

I was hoping forum members can share some advice in regards to my next career move. Given that there are many hiring managers on this forum, it would be the best place to ask to get your thoughts and views.

To give you some background, I am a trainee chartered accountant in the UK. I have already time qualified with my training file completely signed off but just need to exam qualify, and the earliest this can be done by is August 2020. This will mean I will be fully qualified by August 2020 if I pass the remaining exams. My current issue is that last month I was told I was being made redundant and unfortunately there were no finance roles at my level in the business, that I could apply for. I was offered a non-finance role but decided to reject this, as I want to progress my career in finance. Given that the company I worked for is currently cutting costs, it means it's very unlikely a role at my level will come up soon if I decided to take the non-finance role short term to then move internally into a core finance function role. I therefore thought it was best in this case to take the redundancy and move on.

After taking the decision to leave the business, I am currently in a dilemma as to whether I should finish off the final three exams I have remaining, stay unemployed and then look for a role ? Or should I be securing a job as soon as possible as having a gap in my CV of 7 - 8 months, would work against me when applying for jobs later.

I can comfortably support myself financially over the coming months and my previous employer has covered all my study support fees. Any advice

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
Wouldn't finding a role after you're fully qualified be easier, as I imagine if you're in-house, hiring a trainee is more tricky?

Ideally you'd go somewhere else as a trainee and continue studying it. Is that not an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom