**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Permabanned
The more I see of the S20 I wanna try it as a current iPhone user.

The regular S20 anyway.

Don’t know why but yeah.

Been way from Android for several years

I am exactly the same. Been testing a Samsung A71 this week and blown away by it.

Biggest problem with switching is finding a great Apple Watch and AirPods Pro alternative.

Soldato
I am exactly the same. Been testing a Samsung A71 this week and blown away by it.

Biggest problem with switching is finding a great Apple Watch and AirPods Pro alternative.

The S20+ is £200 more, but has 5G and is eligible for the free samung buds on preorder. I'm still debating it all with myself but it's probably the one I'd get as I don't need the camera on the ultra (nor the larger size).

Caporegime

Why do you need an Airpods pro alternative? I'm using them with my S9+ and they work great.

You are right about the watch though, nothing really beats the Apple Watch 5.

Hopefully Samsung release the Galaxy Watch 2 in August.

nam

nam

Soldato
got to try out and the S20+ and Ultra today at the samsung store in Westfield. Not much of a difference in size between my S9+ and the S20+ , was impressed by the S20 Ultra and would definitely go for this as my next upgrade

Man of Honour
OP
A question i have not seen asked or seen an answer for" did they upgrade the audio" ie the dac ? does anyone know this.

The DAC wasn't bad to begin with anyway, what issue did you have previously? It's no LG quad DAC but the S10 (example) is more than powerful enough to drive my Sennheiser HD650 comfortably for sure. Not that it matters a huge deal for the S20 since there is no headphone jack and the USB-C headphones currently available are not really geared towards enthusiast audio peeps. Those that are will likely be using Type-C DAC matchboxes anyway?

Associate
The DAC wasn't bad to begin with anyway, what issue did you have previously? It's no LG quad DAC but the S10 (example) is more than powerful enough to drive my Sennheiser HD650 comfortably for sure. Not that it matters a huge deal for the S20 since there is no headphone jack and the USB-C headphones currently available are not really geared towards enthusiast audio peeps. Those that are will likely be using Type-C DAC matchboxes anyway?

I am just interested if it is any different to my current note 9

Man of Honour
OP
Ah in that case you will have the exact same sound. The Buds+ are better so once you get those the sound will be better still. It's the BT IEMs that are doing the bulk of the processing of audio.

Caporegime
I keep seeing these Samsung phones come year on year, being tempted by camera, then seeing the price and what I pay now and I just can't do it.

All I care about on a phone is a camera. And as expected the ultra is the one with the best cameras.

I'm not bothered about 5g, 120hz screens etc.
In fact all I really want from my s7 is a better camera

It isn't slow, the screen is fine. 4g is all I need.
I can only see 5g as useful if you tether

The zoom is really appealing. But it's not 1000 pounds appealing

You can get a 4G S20 I think.

Caporegime
But if all you care about is the camera just buy a nice camera.

Wanting a good camera on a phone means doesn't mean you just care about the camera, not exactly practical carrying two devices or having to transfer a photo just to upload it to instagram or whatever.

Associate
Wanting a good camera on a phone means doesn't mean you just care about the camera, not exactly practical carrying two devices or having to transfer a photo just to upload it to instagram or whatever.

Pretty much this. Not only do you need to charge two devices all the time if you may need the camera, you also need to carry them both around as well. (You also need to worry about loss/destruction of one or both devices)

I don't know about you, but I typically carry Keys, Wallet, Travelcard and Mobile in my pockets and they're full from that already. Carrying an extra device is often impractical. So having a device you do carry around with you (mobile) that also has a Camera capability that does really well (especially in terms of what we've seen so far in what it can do), and it's going to be miles better to just look after the one device.

Although if we take Spit's post literally, then if you REALLY ARE just after a good imaging device, the Camera does beat the mobile (easily), no doubts there. :)

Associate
Have a dslr but rarely use it .
Heavy, impractical, cumbersome.

So true, but if I'm heading to do some photography then I'll take my dslr though got to admit the phone camera is very good and very handy.

Is the upgraded camera on the S20 (not considering an Ultra) worth swapping an S10 in for? I'm probably thinking not but in truth have no idea.

Soldato
Is the upgraded camera on the S20 (not considering an Ultra) worth swapping an S10 in for? I'm probably thinking not but in truth have no idea.

Gut feel is that the S20 and S20+ camera will not be much of an improvement over the S10 series. It's a question I'm waiting to see answered as well.

Back
Top Bottom