• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
I hope they aren’t gonna charge over £1000 for these new cards .

Not all of them, no, but they will charge £1,000+ for the 3080 Ti. The 2080 Ti set the bar at £1,000 and after almost 18 months on the market and as it nears EOL (presumably) it hasn't reduced in price (finding a £950 price for a particular base card on a random website is not a price reduction). The bar is now set and Nvidia/the market will never go back; the market has spoken on that and clearly people are prepared to pay it.

Now you might get a graphics card at £750 with the performance you want from the next generation (probably 2080 Ti performance), but four figure cards are here to stay I'm afraid.

Soldato
four figure cards are here to stay I'm afraid.
In which case I'll be sticking to 1440p for at least a couple more years, where the xx70/xx80 should do nicely for high frame rate gaming.

Too bad the high end Ti models have doubled in price since the 980Ti, pretty ridiculous tbh but since i don't game at 4k it doesn't bother me too much, i just won't buy them.

Soldato
I can't say anything bad about my 2080 to the 2nd one zotac has been stellar like my zotac 970 not a problem . But 1000 notes for a card is absolutely not on. Fell sorry for the ppl that went though 3 of these cards . Looking forward to the new cards but not the ££££.

Associate
In which case I'll be sticking to 1440p for at least a couple more years, where the xx70/xx80 should do nicely for high frame rate gaming.

Too bad the high end Ti models have doubled in price since the 980Ti, pretty ridiculous tbh but since i don't game at 4k it doesn't bother me too much, i just won't buy them.

It is absolutely fair to say the no one needs a XX80 Ti card to have a very good gaming experience. I am running a 1070 Ti now for 18 months as a stop gap solution, but it has served me very well on my 1440p 144hz monitor. Cost me £380 new with decent factory OC. I only want something better because for future proofing.

The one thing about the £1,000+ cards that no one seems to realise is the change to the target audience over time. I don't have the data to back this up but it's logically sound, which is to say that the average age of the dedicated PC gamer has increased over the years. Said average PC gamer is probably now in their 30s, and like most people on average will now be earning more than they did in their 20s and have more discretionary income for their hobby. I now fall fairly well into that average, and I see the people around me throw considerable money at their hobbies that I would have considered mad as a young adult. Nvidia know this, and they have asked for four figures from customers over time (starting with Titans as the toe in the water), and increasingly people said 'yes, I will pay that'.

The non-dedicated PC gamers should look at four figure graphics cards the way I look at my cyclist friends and their carbon fiber bikes - that's fine for them but not for me thanks. As alluded to above regarding my 1070 Ti card, you can still get a good card for a lot less money and the existence of a £1,000+ card doesn't change that for you.

I'm not happy with the £1,000 cards by the way, but I understand why they exist. To use another analogy, I don't get put off buying a £40 New watch just because there are Rolexs on offer as well. I know it's not quite the same with graphics cards because the £1,000 cards might slowly pull up the average card prices for all tiers below, but it's still a useful way to thing about it that is fairly true.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is absolutely fair to say the no one needs a XX80 Ti card to have a very good gaming experience. I am running a 1070 Ti now for 18 months as a stop gap solution, but it has served me very well on my 1440p 144hz monitor. Cost me £380 new with decent factory OC. I only want something better because for future proofing.

The one thing about the £1,000+ cards that no one seems to realise is the change to the target audience over time. I don't have the data to back this up but it's logically sound, which is to say that the average age of the dedicated PC gamer has increased over the years. Said average PC gamer is probably now in their 30s, and like most people on average will now be earning more than they did in their 20s and have more discretionary income for their hobby. I now fall fairly well into that average, and I see the people around me throw considerable money at their hobbies that I would have considered mad as a young adult. Nvidia know this, and they have asked for four figures from customers over time (starting with Titans as the toe in the water), and increasingly people said 'yes, I will pay that'.

The non-dedicated PC gamers should look at four figure graphics cards the way I look at my cyclist friends and their carbon fiber bikes - that's fine for them but not for me thanks. As alluded to above regarding my 1070 Ti card, you can still get a good card for a lot less money and the existence of a £1,000+ card doesn't change that for you.

I'm not happy with the £1,000 cards by the way, but I understand why they exist. To use another analogy, I don't get put off buying a £40 New watch just because there are Rolexs on offer as well. I know it's not quite the same with graphics cards because the £1,000 cards might slowly pull up the average card prices for all tiers below, but it's still a useful way to thing about it that is fairly true.

You may have a point there about life stages. I guess Nvidia are smart enough to have researched their audience. 6 years ago staight after uni I bought a 1070, I could just about spare the cash to buy one, then a number of promotions later I bought a house furnished it until I had nothing left to buy and bought a 1080ti. Now buying a £1000 card would not be of any issue, as with some of my other hobbies. It's still not nice though because the same series cost a lot less previously.

But I guess it alienates the potential future generation of pc gaming. They can get the full 4k hdr console experience for £400-500 later this year but you'd need to drop £1500-2000 if you want that on a PC.

Soldato
Sorry I agree & disagree with this :D
due to I now see a lot of 18 to 30 year olds with very expensive (£1000+) stuff that you didn't used to see so much years ago

Examples like £1000 Mobile phones, £1000+ large Screen TV's, expensive cars, Expensive Electric bicycles, etc

I agree that every PC gamer I know is very old :p (there all around 48 to 54 :o)

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope they aren’t gonna charge over £1000 for these new cards .

sorry mate i need to rephrase that for you,

"I know its going to be over £1000 but i hope they aren't gonna charge over £2000 for these new cards. "

if they are 50% faster than 2080Ti, you can bet nvidia will hit us with the bill plus service charge. :D

Associate
Sorry I agree & disagree with this :D
due to I now see a lot of 18 to 30 year olds with very expensive (£1000+) stuff that you didn't used to see so much years ago

Examples like £1000 Mobile phones, £1000+ large Screen TV's, expensive cars, Expensive Electric bicycles, etc

I agree that every PC gamer I know is very old :p (there all around 48 to 54 :o)

This is true, but I bet most of these youngsters are in debt up to the eyeballs. The lad over the road from me makes me laugh, leasing his A45 AMG, expensive watches, latest iPhone etc... but renting at an extortionate rate and works in a call centre. Crazy.

Im probably going to go for whatever the flagship card is this time out and now I've really gotten back into PC gaming... so I hope the performance jump is big!

Soldato
This is true, but I bet most of these youngsters are in debt up to the eyeballs. The lad over the road from me makes me laugh, leasing his A45 AMG, expensive watches, latest iPhone etc... but renting at an extortionate rate and works in a call centre. Crazy.

Im probably going to go for whatever the flagship card is this time out and now I've really gotten back into PC gaming... so I hope the performance jump is big!

Access to cheap credit is incredibly easy. Most companies have realised that and prices things accordingly.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Access to cheap credit is incredibly easy. Most companies have realised that and prices things accordingly.

It's a kick in the balls to anyone like me who refuses to go into any debt (other than mortgage). On the plus side, because I don't think any of the GPU's are worth what they are charging it means I get to pay even more off my mortgage and become debt free even quicker :D

Man of Honour

I don't really care what they price them like especially the top end "ultra" cards but the way they've had a top end card then one below that priced as a near high end card but on what is really mid-range specification comparatively would make me feel like a mug if I bought it. Personally don't care if the top end Ti/Titan is silly money I'll buy it if I need it but otherwise a card that is reasonably high end at a reasonably high end price is where I would spend my money and that just hasn't existed in awhile.

Soldato
To be honest a launch at GTC feels too soon. They aren't under any pressure to get new cards out at all.

When is big Navi due? And CyberPunk delayed until Sep... it feels too soon to have a launch next month.

Only if we start seeing big deals on the 2000 series do we know something is coming.

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed, consumers only have themselves to blame. I'm hoping a double 5700XT power card is available but I'm expecting it would cost a small fortune. Would be nice to crank everything up on Cyberpunk.

Soldato
Only if we start seeing big deals on the 2000 series do we know something is coming.
You would only see big deals if they have a huge stock of them. Plus after a new series is released they normally take around 2 or 3 months to get up to stock

(There was hardly any good deals on the 1080ti about the cheapest ones I remember was £600 and then the prices went up)

Back
Top Bottom