Post Your Garden!

Soldato
How is it progressing? :)

The grass is up but rather patchy at the moment - some areas came up earlier than others. Will nip out and get a picture but it's nothing to write home about.
PS
We had some massive downpours of rain and I think it washed some of the seed off and had to cover exposed seed but sooner less seed than more. Where you see the thick grass that it where I ran string line to get the meter squares and although I tried not to seed over seed I still did by the look of it. The bare patches have lots of new grass in them but not high enough to stand out
Give it another two weeks and it should took 10 times better.

414306974.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
It's so much more enjoyable mowing the lawn with a reel mower compared to a rotary. Although the one I used is a manual, the cut so much cleaner. I fear I would be way too obsessed with maintaining it and would want to cut it every other day should I buy a powered one. But if there are any manufacturers reading this and have a demo unit that want to send my way I would be happy to test it out and review it! :D

The grass is currently around 2.5" tall I think, so not your typical height for reel mowing, but I may slowly bring the height down slightly over the next few weeks to train it at a lower height going into next spring.

4PZneeY.jpg

MtW5Ydw.jpg

Associate
It's so much more enjoyable mowing the lawn with a reel mower compared to a rotary. Although the one I used is a manual, the cut so much cleaner. I fear I would be way too obsessed with maintaining it and would want to cut it every other day should I buy a powered one. But if there are any manufacturers reading this and have a demo unit that want to send my way I would be happy to test it out and review it! :D

The grass is currently around 2.5" tall I think, so not your typical height for reel mowing, but I may slowly bring the height down slightly over the next few weeks to train it at a lower height going into next spring.

Damn that's green grass!

Was pleased with mine after a couple of feeds but that's impressive.

UkhYlcY.png

Associate
Kaka please tell me what seeds/technique you use to make it green!

A healthy thick lawn will give you that green look. I do like perennial rye grass though as its very fast to establish and does give that dark green colour when watered and feed well. Kentucky blue grass is another which arguably produces an even more deeper green colour, however takes much more longer to germinate. The advantage kbg has over rye is that it is a spreading type and is able to repair and fill in bare patches itself, whereas rye is more of a clumping type so you'll need to seed bare patches. Both are cool season grasses so well suited to our climate.

There is quite a bit more to cover in keeping it green all year round, so if there is something specific you want to know just ask.

Damn that's green grass!

Was pleased with mine after a couple of feeds but that's impressive.

Thanks. I will swap my patch of grass for your view. :cool:

Soldato
I'm about to try and sort my lawn out. We've a few patches but it's a fairly small garden, so I might just seedthe whole lawn.
nD1QQqo.jpg

I did it last year but the results where a bit poor. Can anyone tell me how to do it please? Last time I roughed up the patches with a fork and dropped on a healthy amount of seed then covered with compost and pressed down by walking on it. Then just watered daily when we didnt have rain. The grass did grow but was quite thin in comparison to the amount of seed I threw down.

Last edited:
Associate
I've never covered seed up and compressed before, just given it a good watering once sprinkling seed down to help it get into the soil naturally, but putting more down than needed is always good as it accounts for birds eating it, duff seeds that don't germinate etc.

Soldato
I'm about to try and sort my lawn out. We've a few patches but it's a fairly small garden, so I might just seedthe whole lawn.

I did it last year but the results where a bit poor. Can anyone tell me how to do it please? Last time I roughed up the patches with a fork and dropped on a healthy amount of seed then covered with compost and pressed down by walking on it. Then just watered daily when we didnt have rain. The grass did grow but was quite thin in comparison to the amount of seed I threw down.

Might just be the angle the picture was taken but man your decking looks high. Can you see over the back fence when sat down? :p

Our grass seems to only have an inch or so of soil before it hits sand / builders rubble, its never looked great but would be a lot of work to dig it out.

Soldato
Might just be the angle the picture was taken but man your decking looks high. Can you see over the back fence when sat down? :p

Our grass seems to only have an inch or so of soil before it hits sand / builders rubble, its never looked great but would be a lot of work to dig it out.

No cant see over fence when sitting down, but yeah our garden drops away to the left as we on a hill. It's about a foot or so drop to lawn left of pic, right of pic is just above lawn level. No one can see in from the road pic just makes it appear worse than it is, red Robin's this time next year will be be higher. It's not an issue though or else wed just put big trees at the end of garden.

Soldato
It's been 17 days since I posted the last picture -(further up this page.)- This is grass today - Looking across the grass it looks fine but from above you can see the patches - The day after the seed was sown we had torrential downpour and it washed the seed away which is why I have solid sections of grass because after doing the front lawn I made sure I spread it evenly.- All I am going to do now is watch it grow - cut it if it needs it then wait till next spring and reseed the sparse areas.

It looks very green at the moment and it's fine grass as I used bowling/putting green seed. The lawn gets very little foot traffic.

414316088.jpg

414316089.jpg

Soldato
nD1QQqo.jpg

Looks great :)

Where is the table and chairs set from please

Soldato
Who’s started mowing this year?
Mine is in desperate need of a mow but it’s so damp still. Was going to do this afternoon as it looks to be sunny today but now the forecast has changed and we’ve got rain in a couple of hours.... lol

Back
Top Bottom