which ones(speakers)?

Associate
I am after a 2.1 system for my pc . Just games with a little utube and the odd movie now and again . I have it down th 3 that can all be found new for under £75 . Trust Tytan 2.1, logitech z623 and the creative kratos s5. Cant make my mind up . I am not bothered about audiophile quality as i have my kef reference based system for that . just want some punchy little speakers that don't sound awfull . What do you guys recon??

Soldato
I think I'd go for the Logitech's of the three you've mentioned.

Those Creative Kratos speakers have too many negative comments. There was a thread about them not so long ago and a few people had issues with them.

Associate
OP
I think I'd go for the Logitech's of the three you've mentioned.

Those Creative Kratos speakers have too many negative comments. There was a thread about them not so long ago and a few people had issues with them.

Thanks. I went in a completely different direction in the end and bought a pair of Edififier R1850db active bookshelf speakers . After reading up on 2.1 (gaming sysems) it seems that their ability to play music is minimal. And allough i said it was not a concern i know it will bug me . Also the Edifiers have a sub out so i can add one if wanted . And they have an optical in. which is nice!

Ree

Ree

Associate
Thanks. I went in a completely different direction in the end and bought a pair of Edififier R1850db active bookshelf speakers . After reading up on 2.1 (gaming sysems) it seems that their ability to play music is minimal. And allough i said it was not a concern i know it will bug me . Also the Edifiers have a sub out so i can add one if wanted . And they have an optical in. which is nice!

how are they? been looking to get the same speakers or go the 2.1 route also.

Soldato

I think you made the right choice. Bass won't be as strong, but the overall sound quality is far better with any decent stereo speakers.

Good choice of connections with those speakers. Optical input, subwoofer out and Bluetooth.

I did consider mentioning stereo speakers as being an alternative choice and being a better choice for music use; but thought for mostly gaming and movie use, cheap 2.1 speakers do OK.

I've used cheapish 2.1 speakers in the past many years ago. I have stereo speakers now, similar in size to the Edifier's. I could never go back to using 2.1 speakers; but then, my main use for the speakers is music.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Have not got them yet. They are still in the post. Monday delivery. But i shall report back when i have had them a couple of days to listen to.

ah np. had the edifer 1850's in my basket umpteen times and keep not getting them.

Soldato
Just ordered a set of these myself to replace some Aego Ms that after over a decade have finally started to throw in the towel.

Delivery is due tomorrow, i'm no audiophile but I could give a quick summary when they arrive.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Just ordered a set of these myself to replace some Aego Ms that after over a decade have finally started to throw in the towel.

Delivery is due tomorrow, i'm no audiophile but I could give a quick summary when they arrive.

yeah i would be interested in your opinion. i think iam just looking looking for a nudge to finally make the purchase.

Soldato
Ok they're pretty huge compared to the Aegos that replaced them. I really wasn't prepared for just how huge and there was quite an involved rearranging of my desk to accomodate them.

Now I have them I have a couple of questions:

1. My motherboard doesn't have an optical out so i'm left to choose between the old fashioned line out or bluetooth. I know bluetooth likes to compress data so my question is which is going to result in better sound quality?

2. Are they just plug in and go or do I need to go through some kind of calabration sequence with them? At the moment they sound much nicer in the high range than the Aegos but lower down there doesn't seem to be as much "punch" to the bass they're putting out. The Aegos however had a dedicated sub so is that the reason?

Thanks.

Soldato
Initial thoughts an hour in: huge step up for music quality, the high end clarity difference is just staggering and it's so much crisper than anything the Aegos could do.

The low end seems to be lacking a bit somewhat, as said above I don't know if i'm just not calibrating it correctly.

Associate
OP
Initial thoughts an hour in: huge step up for music quality, the high end clarity difference is just staggering and it's so much crisper than anything the Aegos could do.

The low end seems to be lacking a bit somewhat, as said above I don't know if i'm just not calibrating it correctly.

If your old sub is still working you could try it with Edififier R1850db's that would help the low end ?

Soldato
Ok they're pretty huge compared to the Aegos that replaced them. I really wasn't prepared for just how huge and there was quite an involved rearranging of my desk to accomodate them..

That is the thing with stereo speakers; they have to be somewhat larger than what you get with 2.1 speakers. Small satellite speakers that come with 2.1 speakers, just aren't capable when it comes to lot of the mid range frequencies. There tends to be a hole where what the upper frequencies of what the subwoofer is capable of and what the satellites are capable of.

Ideally, pairing larger speakers, such as those the size of the Edifier's with a subwoofer in a 2.1 set of speakers, would provide better coverage of frequencies. But then, you end up with larger satellite speakers, which a lot of people don't want when it comes to 2.1. They would prefer small speakers on desk, while having bass as well.

It's a compromise. Convenience of smaller speakers on the desk and more bass, for overall better sound quality.

Increased clarity with the Edifier's, will likely be because Aego satellite speakers don't have tweeters. I'm not certain of that though, as I have never seen behind the mesh covers. Size of the satellites look to be too small to accommodate tweeters as well. Tweeters cover the high frequencies.

Bass will be stronger with Aego's, because as you've mentioned, they have a subwoofer. Again, physics. Edifier's have 4" woofers, which can only go so low. For stereo speakers with stronger bass, you'd need larger speakers. To come close to what a smaller subwoofer is capable of, they'd need to be considerably larger.

Now I have them I have a couple of questions:

1. My motherboard doesn't have an optical out so i'm left to choose between the old fashioned line out or bluetooth. I know bluetooth likes to compress data so my question is which is going to result in better sound quality?

2. Are they just plug in and go or do I need to go through some kind of calabration sequence with them? At the moment they sound much nicer in the high range than the Aegos but lower down there doesn't seem to be as much "punch" to the bass they're putting out. The Aegos however had a dedicated sub so is that the reason?

I'd probably just use the motherboard's audio. Unless it's either noticeably poor compared to using Bluetooth, or there is some interference being picked up by the motherboard audio.

No calibration required, except maybe just adjust the treble and bass knobs until you get the sound you want.

Associate
OP
Riught . I have spent a couple of days with the Edifier 1850b's. I am coming from a cheap creative 5.1 set up that cost about £40 10 years ago. And on the other side of things i have a compitent audio system . Kef reference model 3.2 powered by a pair of audiolab 8200mb's . sources are a rega sarurn cd. A gyrodec se with an audiomods 5 arm and a dynavector 20x2, A tom evans microgroove plus x and audiolab m dac. so i have both extremes to compare. Now the edifiers. They are well made and quite heavy. Well heavier than i was expecting about 4 kg each. Sound wise the are milles away from a gaming 2.1 or 5.1 system . Very musical and and detailed,picking out detail that just did not exist with the creative speakers. I am using the optical out from an x570 mother board and must say that the on boad dac is actually ok . I have tested them with the mother board dac and audiolab m dac and it obviously sit somewere in the middle, closer to the Audiolab than the motherboard,allough i think this shows the lack of quality on the realtec side than the dac in the speakers. These speakers do produse bass but the 4" drivers start to sruggle as the volume goes up. You just can't expect such small drivers to move enought air but as they have a sub out this is not an issue. Peronally i would highly recommend them . I paid £112 for mine including delivery and would still recomend them at their £150 rrp .. Oh and i have just ordered a Whafdale Diamond SW 150 subwoofer to partner them,so i have got my my original wish to get a 2.1 system. Thease are so good it would be a shame not to give them the full audio rage ....

Soldato
Riught . I have spent a couple of days with the Edifier 1850b's. I am coming from a cheap creative 5.1 set up that cost about £40 10 years ago. And on the other side of things i have a compitent audio system . Kef reference model 3.2 powered by a pair of audiolab 8200mb's . sources are a rega sarurn cd. A gyrodec se with an audiomods 5 arm and a dynavector 20x2, A tom evans microgroove plus x and audiolab m dac. so i have both extremes to compare. Now the edifiers. They are well made and quite heavy. Well heavier than i was expecting about 4 kg each. Sound wise the are milles away from a gaming 2.1 or 5.1 system . Very musical and and detailed,picking out detail that just did not exist with the creative speakers. I am using the optical out from an x570 mother board and must say that the on boad dac is actually ok . I have tested them with the mother board dac and audiolab m dac and it obviously sit somewere in the middle, closer to the Audiolab than the motherboard,allough i think this shows the lack of quality on the realtec side than the dac in the speakers. These speakers do produse bass but the 4" drivers start to sruggle as the volume goes up. You just can't expect such small drivers to move enought air but as they have a sub out this is not an issue. Peronally i would highly recommend them . I paid £112 for mine including delivery and would still recomend them at their £150 rrp .. Oh and i have just ordered a Whafdale Diamond SW 150 subwoofer to partner them,so i have got my my original wish to get a 2.1 system. Thease are so good it would be a shame not to give them the full audio rage ....

Been looking for 3.2 wanting to upgrade from my 2.2

Back
Top Bottom