The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
LOL!

And for those of you who don't know who Eric is... He's Zwift CEO.

He's usually listed as 'Co-Founder' but technically he isn't as John Mayfield did much of the early work solo (Zwift started as just a solo graphical training aid for him, not as an online social & training platform).

This thread on Slowtwitch is the first the World saw of 'Zwift' :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL!

And for those of you who don't know who Eric is... He's Zwift CEO.

He's usually listed as 'Co-Founder' but technically he isn't as John Mayfield did much of the early work solo (Zwift started as just a solo graphical training aid for him, not as an online social & training platform).

This thread on Slowtwitch is the first the World saw of 'Zwift' :cool:

That is a great little read!

Soldato
It’s interesting how far ahead of everyone else at the time he was thinking and also how long it took to come to market, I’m thinking late 2015ish I was starting on Zwift.

Soldato
Ah, fair enough. Can't help you with that! I've previously had my eyes lasered but now need glasses, I do generally ride with mine on, but don't technnically need them to see for riding/chatting etc, just suffer from a lazy eye that's worse when I'm tired in the crappy lighting in my garage. With glasses on it's not as bad... Although I do remove them when things get a bit sweaty and will then generally put them back on when cooling down... I don't ride with glasses outside.

Nope, you'd never have 'won'! Even if using someone elses account was 'allowed', you didn't even class as finished as you got removed from results as race requires a HRM. So you could never have 'officially' won (official results are from ZP not Zwift as Admins/organisers can influence results there) ;)

But yeah, due to draft in Zwift there are times 'slow' groups will catch faster ones... It's all part of racing and one of the main differences between 'real' racing - the draft. You don't really get small breakaways in Zwift able to stay away from a pack of chasers for very long...

4zuvlCM.jpg

Good numbers anyway buddy, 301W NP, although the Vortex does tend to over-read a bit when surging/sprinting I found the average power numbers only really at most 10-15% over 'real' numbers in the worst cases. But mine was quite carefully calibrated. Guy doesn't seem to be on Strava (or paired his ZP account to Strava) to dig into the numbers and data any more than that. Looking at a 5m/1m/15s you didn't sprint? I'd expect bigger numbers from you! ;)

How are you seeing it on ZP? I can't see it at all.

I didn't save it as it was my mate's dad's account so would mess up his settings.

I definitely did a sprint haha, I looked upand saw mad w/kg but as I said was seated.

Makes me want to get a setup before next winter for sure.

Soldato

I didn't save it as it was my mate's dad's account so would mess up his settings.

I definitely did a sprint haha, I looked upand saw mad w/kg but as I said was seated.

I can't believe the difference in being able to cope with training indoors with a proper set up. Previously I had a Kurt Kinetic with a big screen, but struggled with anything over an hour to stay entertained, but even with Zwift just on the right of me whilst I watch TV/Film etc the change in gradient/power requirements just stops your legs getting bored and tired for the longer stuff. Granted 3 hours would probably be quite boring, but I did over 2 hours on Sunday and only stopped because I'd done what I needed to do and was pretty tired.

Nothing beats riding outdoors with some mates though, unfortunately since moving I've not found any similarly capable cyclists over this way yet and the one I was planning to ride with has moved to the USA!

Soldato
Did anyone listen to the zwiftcast with Eric Min, CEO of Zwift? Lots of interesting questions but my ears pricked up at his all but confirmation that the Tokyo Olympics course is the next world :eek::D

Soldato
@SoliD even with Zwift and riding in a strong bunch where people are bantering in the chat... I still cannot bring myself to do more than 2 hours on it. I done 100KM on Sunday morning and it's the first time in what, 4 years+ on Zwift, that I've done that much. Absolute chore. Give me 5 hours outside with a mate or two any day of the week it's just not even comparable.

@GSVBagpuss the chat is that it will be a paid for world. As in, not included in your already over priced sub to Zwift every month. There is also massive hassles in using anything "Olympics" in terms of licensing so we shall see if they can navigate that. I'd rather they fixed their mess of a game and made what they have decent rather than adding yet another "world" to it.

Soldato
It’s interesting how far ahead of everyone else at the time he was thinking and also how long it took to come to market, I’m thinking late 2015ish I was starting on Zwift.
Yeah but if you read his comments in there he wasn't doing it for anyone else. It was just a home project to make his own turbo training less boring. I think he took quite a bit of convincing to roll it up into a product that was marketable and that's probably where the other 'founders' probably came into it and pushed it forwards. The concept, foundations and great graphics where largely already there long before the 'platform'.

Interesting to see how trainers have developed around Zwift too and how the market is now so huge in those countries where weather is variable.
Yup great read and really interesting to see his early thoughts around it. I mean look how progressed those graphics are (comparable to what we have now), but equally look how bad the UI is!

What's great I think is to see how unconcerned he was about making money from it. Steering was in there, before there where even other riders!

Haha well from your screenshot I tracked down the user (searched on ZP) then saw the events he'd ridden, seeing that at the top of the list. I could've gone the other way - looked for an event at the time you said then gone through them to find him but much quicker/easier to find a rider then see what events they rode, rather than going through 10+ events!

I could see from your screenshot you hadn't got a HR so knew under the event he'd have been Filtered out (knowing that KISS require a HRM to be part of results), so knew when I saw the grey HR on his result that I had the right guy, also the numbers compared to his previous rides.

If you goto the Event page next to the rider list (Race results) there's a button next to Results you can click on 'Filtered' it'll show you all the riders removed from the first results. You can apply different filters at the top there for various things, like only seeing specific CAT's.
h8TURvt.jpg

At the top of the Race page (not the rider results) you can also click on 'Unfiltered' and that'll give you the rider results split by the races (in this case CATs) without filtering, can see you coming in 5th in B then:
eNwuPRY.jpg ddnsjje.jpg
You can see the individual rider times then, but that can be only part of the story for a 'mixed' race like this, where the CAT's start in different pens but are in the same race. For those it's better to filter by 'LIVE' at the top of the Race screen as that will show you gaps between all riders and their finishing times across all CAT's together:
5U6LgOH.jpg
VlKHZvH.jpg
On there you can also see the classification riders entered (can see you entered D) then the CAT that your result appeared in - ie where you should have entered (B). I tend to use this screen more than the other.

Hope that helps explain how I dig into results a little...

Nothing beats riding outdoors with some mates though
I totally agree with the earlier part and this bit. For me I don't consider or ride Zwift really as a replacement to outside riding. For me they're different things. I'm usually on Zwift because I can't ride outside - weather/time commitments/convenience, rather than it replacing an outside ride.

But equally without Zwift I know I'd be riding more outside... While my overall amount of mileage (and fitness) would also drop a large amount as I'd be riding 'less'. So for me although Zwift is different riding, it's still a large part of my riding and fitness. I know without it I'd be enjoying my outside riding less - as I'd have less power & fitness!

Last edited:
Soldato
This winter the new turbo+zwift has been invaluable, since I have moved at the beginning of October I don't think there has been 3 days in a row where it hasn't rained! It's not been mega cold which is nice! although I can't complain as the mud is my favourite conditions for CX, so can't have everything!

Soldato
And tonight was comparing the Rotor inpower numbers to the Neo.

238w Neo average to 244w inpower. Max power very close 1128w Neo to 1131w inpower.

There’s a million variables compared to the Quarq so I won’t speculate as that would be silly. At face value the Quarq was 1% higher comparing (Inpower 2.5% higher and Quarq 3.5%). The crank based meters reading higher in both instances which is what you’d expect.

I have some baseline figures now so can monitor and it will be obvious if there is any major issue, I think the Quarq will settle down and perhaps come a little closer and I don’t expect the Rotor to change. Rotor even say you don’t need to calibrate it before every ride.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well getting into Zwift more now, but my god its not very user friendly in terms of the UI, logging out then back it, route planning etc.

I am still in awe of people who can type and still ride hard :)

Soldato
Yippee for Windows, upgraded my laptop to latest win 10 and have lost direct Bluetooth connection. No issue prior to upgrade and can't find a definite fix. So ordered an ant stick!

Soldato
What is the best/easiest way to overlay two fit files of a recording to compare the power data overlay?

I imagine it’s a little fiddly to get the start points right bang on with each other & otherwise the whole lot will be slightly out.

Soldato
What is the best/easiest way to overlay two fit files of a recording to compare the power data overlay?

I imagine it’s a little fiddly to get the start points right bang on with each other & otherwise the whole lot will be slightly out.

You can do it on Zwift Power, came across this the other week. Here's a guide on using it...
https://zwiftinsider.com/zwiftpower-dual-recording/

Soldato
Tour of Sufferlandria 2020... finished!

byGHYUyh.jpg

Today's 3 hour climbing-fest was very tough on cooked legs. I stood still on the pedals going into the final warm down and both legs were shaking top-to-bottom from lactic.

I doubled up on Wednesday (19th) to have Thursday off the bike (circuit training night).

I've ridden it on the "focused" option which is middle difficulty, so a few workouts are 100% with the rest tweaked down a bit. Anyone who has tried all those stages at 100% (the Nuclear Option) must be mad.

Soldato
There is a bug on the Titans Grove descent after the KOM.
I got dropped on the descent yesterday as I was doing orange numbers and the bunch were doing 2wkg and/or coasting :p I was full on trying and the bunch was just riding away. A proper WTF moment in my garage at 6 in the morning.....

Then in the group I rode in after that, I was having to do 3.2 or more just to stay with them. Again, as they coasted or spun the pedals at 1wkg. Love this game man.

I "won" another sprint on Friday though and then won from a break with 1 other guy on that Innsbruck tour stage 2 thing on Saturday. We were up the road for over an hour so both times up the innsbruck KOM. Nice to do something that isn't a bloody sprint as usual.

Back
Top Bottom