Best Chromium based browsers?

Soldato
I've been trailing Edge and yes it's fast, but I feel it's a little rough round the edges.

Chrome is Chrome... but what about Brave, Vivaldi and Opera.

What have people tried and what are people using?

Soldato
I've been trailing Edge and yes it's fast, but I feel it's a little rough round the edges.

Chrome is Chrome... but what about Brave, Vivaldi and Opera.

What have people tried and what are people using?
Tried all those briefly, but since they are Chromium based they can't be changed with WindowsBlinds which I am using, due to finding the browsers bland and boring otherwise. But, I am using Opera GX for Twitch viewing otherwise it is Firefox all the way. ;) :p

Soldato
OP
What I find rough about Edge is for example, whilst a page is loading if you scroll you get blackness as the page renders. (graphical corruption)

I've just installed Brave and it definitely seems like a good browser. Will give Vivaldi a go as well.

I'm impressed with Brave.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love Vivaldi, it has the customisation of the old Opera Blink browser( not surprising since it was made by some of the old Opera developers) but Chromium based, never had any issues.
Probably the best Chromium based customisation browser out there.

Forgot to say also has good forum support over at Vivaldi website forums, btw I use it on Linux as well :) .

Over at Vivaldi blog, some good articles on privacy and spyware etc ,https://vivaldi.com/blog/

Soldato
What I find rough about Edge is for example, whilst a page is loading if you scroll you get blackness as the page renders. (graphical corruption)

I've just installed Brave and it definitely seems like a good browser. Will give Vivaldi a go as well.

I'm impressed with Brave.

I don't get that with Edge at all.

Brave is good too but their rewards for watching ads are pitiful

Soldato
Out of all the 'other' Chromium based browsers the new Edge has become my daily browser at work. With a mixture of FF and Edge at home due to how Twitch really doesn't like behaving on FF.

Associate
Forgot which are chromium based
But used vivaldi, brave, edge, Sr iron, slim browser, comodo dragon, midoori
And loads of others

So which is best? xD

Dunno if it's Win10 playing games, but Edge is dirt slow due to ads and Brave kinda hangs. Only these 2 since installing 10. Brave is good if you liked Chrome as it's so similar. It does lack some of Chrome's features though. The built in blocking is why i am trying it.

Soldato
So which is best? xD

Dunno if it's Win10 playing games, but Edge is dirt slow due to ads and Brave kinda hangs. Only these 2 since installing 10. Brave is good if you liked Chrome as it's so similar. It does lack some of Chrome's features though. The built in blocking is why i am trying it.
Use unblock origin for Edge to remove
The adverts
And not sure any 1 was best
I switch a out from one to the other
Regularly

Soldato
So which is best? xD

You defo using Edge Chromium not old Edge? I find it really snappy.

Do have an example of when it was sluggish?

Soldato
So which is best? xD

If your icon is still the blue E your on the old version and not the newer chromium one.

Soldato
As above, the new icon for Chromium Edge is not a solid blue colour and gradually shifts to green. It feels far more polished than the old Edge and I've uninstalled Chrome as it also feels nicer to use over that.

Out of all the 'other' Chromium based browsers the new Edge has become my daily browser at work. With a mixture of FF and Edge at home due to how Twitch really doesn't like behaving on FF.

FF is my main browser and I don't have any issues with Twitch, what sort of problems do you have? I did have a problem last night but worked out it was due to uBlock Origin's latest update which fixes 1st party tracking blocking but caused it to block a bit too much on Twitch.

Soldato
FF is my main browser and I don't have any issues with Twitch, what sort of problems do you have? I did have a problem last night but worked out it was due to uBlock Origin's latest update which fixes 1st party tracking blocking but caused it to block a bit too much on Twitch.

Streams take longer to start and can potentially lag and the bitrate seems to drop more often on FF, using Edge streams loads straight away and the bitrate stays at it's max setting. It may be down to using Frankerzface but that is used on both browsers. Placebo or not but generally Twitch performs better on Chromium based browsers.

Other people have been having issues with it too: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/f98xhq/why_is_firefox_so_ing_bad_for_viewing_twitchtv/

Associate
You defo using Edge Chromium not old Edge? I find it really snappy.

Do have an example of when it was sluggish?

If your icon is still the blue E your on the old version and not the newer chromium one.

Yeah, turns out i'm on the old Edge. Bit disappointed in Win10 again, shock horror. Was under the impression all MS apps would update with Win10, but apparently not. I'll download the new Edge now (thanks), but it won't be my primary browser as cba with customisation etc, just want it to work, which Brave does. Well, well enough for the time being, sigh.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, turns out i'm on the old Edge. Bit disappointed in Win10 again, shock horror. Was under the impression all MS apps would update with Win10, but apparently not. I'll download the new Edge now (thanks), but it won't be my primary browser as cba with customisation etc, just want it to work, which Brave does. Well, well enough for the time being, sigh.

They will update eventually but MS are gradually rolling it out rather than pushing it out to everyone and realising there are issues. At the moment you have to download it manually but it will replace the old Edge. Eventually this will come through windows update.

Back
Top Bottom