• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Modern warfare bugged since December on Vega cards. Sights are all blocky making it hard to track people, it's not as bad with pre September drivers but still there

Soldato
I don't have any problems with the 2020 drivers.:rolleyes:

Lucky, I built my dad a rig with a 5700XT as well as having a 5700XT in my rig, Built a rig with a 5600Xt for a work friends son and all of us have had issues with the 2020 drivers, There are dozens upon dozens of threads on both AMD's forums and on Reddit about the various issues the 2020 drivers have caused Navi cards, Mainly black screen issues though.

Soldato
So because you don't everyone else must be lying then eh? :rolleyes:
I have a 5700xt Nitro with a tweaked win10 install. Ever since late December 2019 to now I've not seen any issues . I had problems with around October 2019. It only got better late November/December until now. So, me saying I don't have any problems comes from someone who actually did.

Lucky, I built my dad a rig with a 5700XT as well as having a 5700XT in my rig, Built a rig with a 5600Xt for a work friends son and all of us have had issues with the 2020 drivers, There are dozens upon dozens of threads on both AMD's forums and on Reddit about the various issues the 2020 drivers have caused Navi cards, Mainly black screen issues though.
I only had BS issues around the 19.10 drivers and has since went away. I use to have PC startup black screen issues as well but later found out it was do to a capacitor issue with an old Samsung 840 SSD that I had. Once I replaced that win10 shutdowns were almost instant. When before it would take up to 10-15 seconds to shut down.

It would do that for weeks on end until it got worse. Startups would black screen more often and reboots would blackscreen as well. I had to hold down the power button to get it to shutoff 1st then power on again to restart kind of deal. At this point things got progressively worst. I though I had some additional odd 5700xt blackscreen issue that wouldn't show itself unless I boot up or reboot the pc. But I never read reports of this issue.

I did some research online and stumbled across an article about it and was elated to discover it was the ssd. Even though the ssd never regressed in performance the capacitors were going bad. Whatever the power circuitry was it would only seem to act up during some sort of power cycle. As long as the SSD was on it seem to work. However, I cannot say for certain how often it was the SSD or those drivers when I was getting black screens during desktop.

But since it was replaced everything has been working pretty good. What shocked me was that using a usb to transfer data was much faster then I ever noticed before. For example I installed MS Office from usb and it installed within 2 seconds!!! I was like, "what happened...I'm seeing the next screen saying everything is done but I never saw the install??" LOL, come to thing of it, I had this SSD the year it came out, I have had issues with very slow usb transfer of data, even to another driver for the past 3 years. I simply dealt with it. Now, I started backing up my data on usb and everything is much faster and consistent now. No odd slow downs.

Ok, this post is turning into a narrative. I'll end it here but I did want to share my experience/discovery.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have a 5700xt Nitro with a tweaked win10 install. Ever since late December 2019 to now I've not seen any issues . I had problems with around October 2019. It only got better late November/December until now. So, me saying I don't have any problems comes from someone who actually did.
I will say it again. So because you don't any issues right now, everyone else must be lying then eh? :rolleyes:

Associate
I will say it again. So because you don't any issues right now, everyone else must be lying then eh? :rolleyes:

Nope, he's just saying that he's not having issues. There are people having issues and also people not having issues. Reporting only one side of the situation misrepresents what is actually happening.

Associate
just go bacck to your last working drivers im on 19.10.2 working fine :p;)

Permabanned
It's worth mentioning that for me at least Instant replay's completely broken, with it on in the background I can't even watch a Youtube video as it's a slide show, that's with Replay set for 10 minutes at 80 mbps.

I just noticed that for some reason the replay buffer was set to disk storage (default?), changing it to system memory seems to fix it.

Soldato
I assume all the issues with the 2020 drives are only affecting navi cards? Ive not had a single issue with any of the 2020 drivers with my Vega 56

Yes
Black screens are navi only, any driver issues from the new UI like buggy relive or something will affect all cards

For me, 2020 drivers have also been running great on my VEGA 64

Soldato
There are dozens upon dozens of threads on both AMD's forums and on Reddit about the various issues the 2020 drivers have caused Navi cards, Mainly black screen issues though.

OK black screen posts on Reddit end up in 4 categories.
a) Trolls who repeat the same post every month.

b) Muppets who do not listen insisting on trying to use 450W and 500W PSU 10+ year old PSUs, because the 7950 & FX8350 worked with it.

c) Those who do not want to listen to any advice. There were a couple over the weekend that everyone and his dog said to them update the damn B350 bios, but refused because "updating BIOS is dangerous". Yet the same time got a 5700 bought a Ryzen 3600 also. Or those who insist on using PCIe riser cables but again refuse to go to the bios to manually set PCIe 3.0 even on X570. No riser cable supports 4.0. Others just updated they monitor also with their cards using crap cables which when replaced all was fine. Fresh installation of windows 10 to latest version resolved issues also.

d) Those who listen to advice and come back saying that their issue was fixed.

Statistically the significant majority having issue with 5700/XT have AMD B350/450/X370 motherboards. Have yet to see someone with geniuine issues having X470, X570 or Intel motherboards.

But I wait to see the "Nvidia drivers are crap" posts when the first PCIe 4.0 NV card come out this year. Then they will blame themselves for not manually setting 3.0 into the bios on the 350/450/370 boards, or blame AMD chipset & motherboards?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
We saw it in this forum few weeks back and the guy insisted that it wasn't that the issue. :rolleyes:

Yep. There have been a couple also who just went ahead and changed it to a nvidia gpu and that fixed it. We have highlighted the looping possibilities of both b) and c) above but you can only lead so many horses to water. I would bet there are many switchers out there who have a ropy system being masked by the gpu with underlying issues just waiting to poke out.

Soldato
Yep. There have been a couple also who just went ahead and changed it to a nvidia gpu and that fixed it. We have highlighted the looping possibilities of both b) and c) above but you can only lead so many horses to water. I would bet there are many switchers out there who have a ropy system being masked by the gpu with underlying issues just waiting to poke out.

As said. Waiting for the 4.0 NV cards to hit the market. We going to have a laugh. :)

Back
Top Bottom