*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
I was dithering over getting sky Q but everything I reads is a 24 month contract. i'm apparently a diamond VIP, having been w/ them over 15 years, and it seems the VIP perks are all offers to give them more money for something. I understand the usual pay increase things but the one that ****ed me off was them forcing sky sports HD onto me despite not having an HD dish/box, so I cancelled it. if the next increase is stupid, i'll probably bin my contract and send my digibox to Beamish.

Soldato
I was dithering over getting sky Q but everything I reads is a 24 month contract. i'm apparently a diamond VIP, having been w/ them over 15 years, and it seems the VIP perks are all offers to give them more money for something. I understand the usual pay increase things but the one that ****ed me off was them forcing sky sports HD onto me despite not having an HD dish/box, so I cancelled it. if the next increase is stupid, i'll probably bin my contract and send my digibox to Beamish.

There's nothing amazing about SKYQ at all, it's nothing to get excited about, it's worked well for me, but it doesn't improve the terible programming, the constant adverts, or the never-ending price rises for the same or lesser content.

Well, the longer you stay anywhere, the more they take the ****. So your experience sounds about right. I've never had to sign up for longer than 18 months, and I wasn't a Diamond VIP, it sounds like they make you think you're getting better treatment when the reality is they're over-charging you and taking you for a mug.

Horrible company.

My SKY bill would have gone up by £6 P/M if I'd have stayed with them, i'm having to stomach £2 extra for fibre until November sadly, also locked into deal for pay as go mobile £10 P/M until August - going to go elsewhere with that as well. I don't want to give them a penny.

Last edited:
Soldato
24 month contracts appear to be becoming the norm for a lot of services now, all the new and existing customer renewal officers on BT broadband and TV seem to be 24 months. It's almost as if the progress being made to make it easier and cheaper for people to switch services and not be overcharged is being undone in other ways...

Soldato
i'm dithering w/ fibre but again they was 24 months on a contract. out city's getting fibre rolled out, so I should have fibre by the end of 2021 at the latest, assuming all goes well. I don't know what speeds/fees go w/ that though. if I wasn't locked to a silly contract i'd sign up straight away, but on general principles i'm not going to tie myself to a 24 month deal when there's a chance I might get fibre rolled out to me anyways a lot earlier than that. knowing my luck it won't, lol, but I can live w/out. hyperfast internet is a luxury not a necessity for me.

Soldato
24 month contracts appear to be becoming the norm for a lot of services now, all the new and existing customer renewal officers on BT broadband and TV seem to be 24 months. It's almost as if the progress being made to make it easier and cheaper for people to switch services and not be overcharged is being undone in other ways...

Both my renewals with SKY and BT were 18 months, not 2 years, and they're very recent. There's tons of Fibre deals less than 2 years. It's also no use talking to SKY and just accepting when they tell you either, you have to stand your ground, and demand better deals and always be prepared to leave altogether.

You've go to shop around, stand your ground and be prepared to leave any provider.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm long out of contract on Q now and well overdue a repricing, paying something like £130/month at the moment....

Got offered ~£115 including Netflix which still seemed like a lot, for everything except the obscure channel packages + 'superfast' broadband as I'm in the sticks....

Said I'd think about it.....

Soldato
I'm long out of contract on Q now and well overdue a repricing, paying something like £130/month at the moment....

Got offered ~£115 including Netflix which still seemed like a lot, for everything except the obscure channel packages + 'superfast' broadband as I'm in the sticks....

That's a ludicrous amount to be paying for SKY TV. I'd check what your "superfast" actuallty entails.

Caporegime
I do wonder what Sky's long-term business plan is. More and more people are going to move to streaming services, from my generation (1980s) and later generations.

Watching 40 mins of TV stuffed with 20 mins of adverts just doesn't appeal any more.

Mum is getting used to Freesat and once I've sorted a new recording box, I don't think either of us will miss Sky too much.

Just got to decide between one of the (overpriced) official new Freesat recorders, or a generic satellite receiver (with a bit more setup and manual EPG updates).

Soldato
Just spoken to Sky to have movies removed from my current Q package, been told that if I have them removed my sky sports discount will also be removed (I currently pay £14 for sports) so sports will go up to £30+

I questioned that I was unaware the two packages were tied together & according to sky I agreed this when I signed up.
I certainly have no recollection of this being mentioned when signing.
Told me about the price rise in April, another £4pm,, taking my package to £80. Only signed a new deal back in July & its already gone up from £62pm in that time. Only change has been moving my Netflix account over to them.

This could well be my last year with them, need to look into alternatives.

Soldato
Just spoken to Sky to have movies removed from my current Q package, been told that if I have them removed my sky sports discount will also be removed (I currently pay £14 for sports) so sports will go up to £30+

I questioned that I was unaware the two packages were tied together & according to sky I agreed this when I signed up.
Told me about the price rise in April, another £4pm,, taking my package to £80. Only signed a new deal back in July & its already gone up from £62pm in that time. Only change has been moving my Netflix account over to them.

SKY are full of ****, they'll tell you anything.

Soldato

******* told me the same thing and I also don’t remember being told they were linked

Soldato

Wow is this a serious post? Crikey.

I pay £43 for sky q with all channels except sport and Multi room. Even 43 makes me cringe.

You best start haggling. Sign up as a new customer in your wife's name or something

Soldato
Funny how having the rampant and sheer **** you audacity of adding £1 to your bill for "HD" is enough to push you over the edge in terms of deciding to end your relationship with Sky once the 18 months deal I subbed to in November last year runs out. Cos somehow it is now exactly £1 more costly for them to transmit exactly the same beam up to a satellite than it was yesterday.

Soldato
Funny how having the rampant and sheer **** you audacity of adding £1 to your bill for "HD" is enough to push you over the edge in terms of deciding to end your relationship with Sky once the 18 months deal I subbed to in November last year runs out. Cos somehow it is now exactly £1 more costly for them to transmit exactly the same beam up to a satellite than it was yesterday.

For many of us it is one increase too many - I've been with Sky for a lot of years and with each pay increase I say I'll leave - this time I'm actually going to do something about it.
We all know that the price increases are usually down to Sky paying stupid money for football rights and then passing those costs on to everyone using the platform, if they use Sports or not.

In a month's time I'll be 31 days from end of contract - I'll then go into negotiation. I'm stripping everything back, don't want multiroom - does mean I'll lose UHD, but let's be honest, there isn't a ton of that. Will also go back to sharing my MIL's Netflix subscription and get rid of Ultimate on Demand. If I don't see the same kind of price that a new customer would get, I'll leave.
BT can give me everything I want - all the Sky channels I watch, HD, a recordable box.

Back
Top Bottom