Poll: **** The official Apple Watch Series 5 thread ****

Will you buy the Apple Watch Series 5?

• Total voters
Soldato
Ok, was going to start another thread but Ive started loads in this part of the forum lately so thought I would try and keep it to in here. Looking for more help. So far Ive got loads of help with other Apple products since lockdown started. I now have an old iMac working perfectly, a set of AirPods on the way and an iPhone 11 about to be ordered.

This brings me to the Apple Watch. I have a set of circumstances which I'll describe and hopefully all you guys who have Apple Watches will be able to offer some advice.

As said I will soon be back with Iphone and have AirPods and essentially fully back to apple. I have also started regular exercise again and walk a few miles a day and have also started couch to 5k. I like to track what I do and listen to podcasts while Im doing it. At the moment thats done by having 3 apps open on my phone and a pain in the arse set of bluetooth headphones. My wife has a Garmin watch which just makes life so much easier so I was thinking of getting one. They are about £150. However given my recent purchases I was thinking of maybe looking at the Apple Watch? Im not sure if its appropriate though. I have a ticwatch Pro smartwatch that I wore for a couple of weeks and promptly discarded through extreme frustration. I could sell that and put it towards an Apple Watch. Would a second hand one be sufficient for me? Im concerned that if I get an old one and really like it I may wish Id got a newer one, equally it could be total overkill for my needs and I may not want to wear it all the time. Im struggling to decide and was wondering what everyone else did with theirs and how they have integrated it into their everyday life or is it just a nice gadget to have?

An always on watch that can control my AirPods and tell me my step count as well as record all my proper exercise does appeal though. Im motivated to exercise by seeing my progress and improvements so in that respect it would be good but I suppose technically a £50 Fitbit would do that too....

Soldato
Does anyone have any thoughts on the above? I now have the AirPods and Iphone and first run with them today went really well. I have also seem a series 3 Apple Watch for £185. Does that represent good value for money for my needs and what would I be missing out by getting this above a series 4 or 5?

Soldato
Does anyone have any thoughts on the above? I now have the AirPods and Iphone and first run with them today went really well. I have also seem a series 3 Apple Watch for £185. Does that represent good value for money for my needs and what would I be missing out by getting this above a series 4 or 5?

I'd avoid the 3, plus i'm sure you can get them used for around £100, you could always get one used and see if you like it enough to spend more, should get most of your cash back.

I'd say the 4 was a decent step up from the 3, the 5 from the 4 less so.

Soldato
I'd avoid the 3, plus i'm sure you can get them used for around £100, you could always get one used and see if you like it enough to spend more, should get most of your cash back.

I'd say the 4 was a decent step up from the 3, the 5 from the 4 less so.

Yeah maybe thats an idea if they can be had that cheaply. Maybe I should just get the Garmin and be done with it!

Soldato
The Apple is good, especially if you're in the ecosystem. Note though that you need to use Apple Music for standalone music on the Apple watch, whereas some Garmin watches will allow Spotify playlists to be synced.

I suppose it depends on budget too, you mentioned that Garmin at £150, any idea which one that is as there's a big range.

The main question you want to ask yourself is do you want a fitness watch thats a bit smart, or a smart watch which will do most of the fitness side.

I had a Series 5 Apple watch and sold it for a Garmin Fenix 6, however that's at the top end of the range and i only really made the change because of the extended battery life for some long 50 mile runs i'm working towards. Otherwise the Apple watch was fine for general running around and even for marathons.

If i was in your shoes, i'd look for a used/refurbed Series 4. Should get it for around the £150-£200 mark. Give it a few months and see how you get on with it. If you love it then i'd hold off till September when the Series 6 is out and i would expect that to be a bigger jump than the 5 would be.

Soldato
The Apple is good, especially if you're in the ecosystem. Note though that you need to use Apple Music for standalone music on the Apple watch, whereas some Garmin watches will allow Spotify playlists to be synced.

I suppose it depends on budget too, you mentioned that Garmin at £150, any idea which one that is as there's a big range.

The main question you want to ask yourself is do you want a fitness watch thats a bit smart, or a smart watch which will do most of the fitness side.

I had a Series 5 Apple watch and sold it for a Garmin Fenix 6, however that's at the top end of the range and i only really made the change because of the extended battery life for some long 50 mile runs i'm working towards. Otherwise the Apple watch was fine for general running around and even for marathons.

If i was in your shoes, i'd look for a used/refurbed Series 4. Should get it for around the £150-£200 mark. Give it a few months and see how you get on with it. If you love it then i'd hold off till September when the Series 6 is out and i would expect that to be a bigger jump than the 5 would be.

It was a fairly low end Garmin I was looking at just to perform the function of recording my exercise when I do it. Id take off my normal watch when exercising and put the Garmin on. Then I thought "If Im spending £150 anyway should I just spend a bit more.....?". I love a gadget but I have no real idea if I would use a smartwatch to any great extent. I had a Ticwatch Pro and didn't really get on with it but like so many things I have no doubt that the Apple eco-system will make it so much better to use.

At the moment I am in the process of switching back to Iphone (I have the phone and am porting over all my apps etc) and just got a pair of AirPods. Already the exercise experience is so much better than couple of weeks ago when I was using cheap bluetooth headphones with my Samsung Phone. For example this morning I popped the Aipods in, switched the iPhone on and launched Runkeeper and Counch to 5k and I was out the door in 30 seconds. I can only see the Apple Watch making that better by doing the Runkeeper part at least. I wouldnt be against recording my step count and heart rate and all that jazz if I had a watch that I wore all the time but thats unlikely to be a Garmin. I think maybe the refurb series 4 may be the way to go but I can't say Ive seen many of them. Im selling the Ticwatch Pro to limit my expenditure as soon a s I work out what its worth!

Soldato
I'd either stick a wanted post on here/avforums where there's a decent community, otherwise Ebay is your best bet, can usually pick up one when ebay push their 10/20% off selected seller offers.

I think the problem is that the 5 wasn't a big enough jump, so the S4 owners aren't upgrading which limits their availability, i think this shows by the discounts which often pop up on the S5

Soldato
I'd either stick a wanted post on here/avforums where there's a decent community, otherwise Ebay is your best bet, can usually pick up one when ebay push their 10/20% off selected seller offers.

I think the problem is that the 5 wasn't a big enough jump, so the S4 owners aren't upgrading which limits their availability, i think this shows by the discounts which often pop up on the S5

Yeah I must get back on AV Forums, was on there are few years back in the pre-marriage and kids days when Home Cinema was an option open to me!!!

Associate
The always on display on the series 5 is a game changer, completely changes the watch. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom