Star Trek: Picard

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wil Wheaton got so much flack like Tilly did from fans who thought he was a pointless cringe character. Now everyone is OK with him.

What did the actor say:

Its common knowledge to the extent even robot chicken parodied it! He has talked about it too - he really got it hard from tons and tons of fans.

The fact is Trek fans have been moaning and whining about all the series we have been talking about,saying the characters have been cringe,the shows have been destroying the legacy and even to the extent of bomb and death threats. Even DS9 was called crap compared to TNG and Ira Steven Behr himself says his view for the show was validated and the fans were wrong. The same fans who were slagging off DS9 saying it wasn't TNG and there was a backlash.

EVERY series is moaned at defiling the legacy of the previous one. Too many here have selective memory and rose tinted glasses at the repeated "backlashes" we have seen at every new Trek series,because it wasn't 100% what the previous series was like. It makes me wonder why some here even watch Trek,if its just backlash after backlash everytime a new one comes on.

Lol. Why are you repeating yourself? I get what you are saying. But that does not change anything I said. I don’t care about what others thought. I liked Wesley, loved 7 of 9. T’Pol was ok, just could not stand her rubber duck lips (why do girls think that looks attractive?).

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol. Why are repeating yourself? I get what you are saying. But that does not change anything I said. I don’t care about what others thought. I liked Wesley, loved 7 of 9. T’Pal was ok, just could not stand her rubber duck lips (why do girls think that looks attractive?).

Maybe I am being unfair to you,but its just deja vu I have seen at every new Trek series launch since TNG,and I can't remember anyone which hasn't had fans piling into it. So at this point sometimes its hard to say whether its a real dislike or because its of a general sentiment doing the rounds at the time. I also remember watching Watchmen and thinking it was not a bad series,but it had some mega backlash on the internet after 1 to 2 episodes,when the story hadn't been setup fully.

Caporegime
Maybe I am being unfair to you,but its just deja vu I have seen at every new Trek series launch since TNG,and I can't remember anyone which hasn't had fans piling into it. So at this point sometimes its hard to say whether its a real dislike or because its of a general sentiment doing the rounds at the time. I also remember watching Watchmen and thinking it was not a bad series,but it had some mega backlash on the internet after 1 to 2 episodes,when the story hadn't been setup fully.

Now that is true. So many people write-off Watchmen as woke garbage but it really wasn't and in fact was the best series of 2019.

And you are right that every trek has had pushback and new shows often aren't given a chance now. Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG are pretty naff, but at the time people stuck with it as there was very little other sci-fi to watch at the time. Now people have loads of options.

I at least gave it half a season before complaining :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OMG and i thought the Nerd Level in the Star wars thread was high, this is off the scale.

Picard atm is a crap show, and about as Star Trek as killjoys.

Caporegime
Same, Wesley made sense as a character against Picard. He worked, he had story progression. He was all Picard hated then grew up inspired by him. could have given him more episodes....

When your main character is the captain of one of the best series of trek it should do him justice... Maybe it will?

Tilly is a joke. Always will be. Even in 30 years. She's the worst. Typical uncomfortable airhead genius nonsense. Cliche.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Same, Wesley made sense as a character against Picard. He worked, he had story progression. He was all Picard hated then grew up inspired by him. could have given him more episodes....

When your main character is the captain of one of the best series of trek it should do him justice... Maybe it will?

Tilly is a joke. Always will be. Even in 30 years. She's the worst. Typical uncomfortable airhead genius nonsense. Cliche.
Maybe Cat has a crush on her, that's why he cannot see this :p

Soldato
Maybe Cat has a crush on her, that's why he cannot see this :p

Nah,7 of 9 baby! :p

It is just deja vue I am having since Wesley had the same backlash - I remember it was cool to hate on the Wesley character.

Now that is true. So many people write-off Watchmen as woke garbage but it really wasn't and in fact was the best series of 2019.

And you are right that every trek has had pushback and new shows often aren't given a chance now. Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG are pretty naff, but at the time people stuck with it as there was very little other sci-fi to watch at the time. Now people have loads of options.

I at least gave it half a season before complaining :)

I will wait until it ends,and even despite people moaning about Discovery,we had Ansen Mount's Pike in season 2 who was fantastic.

In an era where old series took 26 episodes just in one season to build up steam,would people within 2 episodes be judging any of the older Treks as failures - I suspect not.

But I remember how long TNG took,and many series do need to find their feet,so perhaps I am just patient. 10 episodes is really nothing for Trek. Picard is more like a Trek mini-series.

LOL,people said the same about Wesley - typical uncomfortable child genius nonsense. For fans you will have ignored much of what the actual actors said. Wesley according to fans of the era,was a rubbish child genius knowbody wanted. What did Wil Wheaton say:

What I was hearing back in the old days were older people who were just sort of predisposed to not like a young character on a show. I think the writers could have navigated around that and made him more relatable, instead of like an idea, but they had a hard time overcoming a lot of that stuff. And when I was a kid it was very hard. It was hard not to take that personally. Kids are awkward. Kids are insecure. I spent 50 hours a week doing Star Trek when I was a kid. That was really my life. To go to conventions back then and have people criticizing me and attacking me personally instead of maybe talking about the writing, it was hurtful.

More perspective:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/120022/why-did-people-hate-wesley-crusher

Wesley Crusher is the reason the article "Creator's Pet" on TVTropes used to be called "The Wesley":

He nearly killed the show in the fans' eyes, by being an Insufferable Genius and an admitted Canon Sue for Gene Wesley Roddenberry. Whenever the other characters weren't praising him undeservedly, they were rudely dismissing him undeservedly, depending on which one would make him look better. Even worse was the 1987 Writer's Strike, which left the network sitting on a ton of unused "Wesley Saves The Day" scripts as most of what they had to work with. (Ironically, these episodes are generally considered So Okay, It's Average, making him marginally more likable when he's the focus character, as opposed to when he's given such a large role in other episodes.) It got so bad that even Wil Wheaton, the actor who played him, hated his guts. He became a bit more bearable with the 5th season episode, "The First Duty", where he screws up big time by participating in an illegal stunt that gets a schoolmate killed and then attempting to cover it up, and for once he isn't Easily Forgiven, or otherwise allowed to get away with it. Instead, this leads to him being bawled out by Captain Picard and getting that school year's marks voided. Eventually he was Put On A Shuttlecraft and the character disappeared from the series, only coming back for the near-final episode Journey's End, and finally being cut out of a cameo appearance on Star Trek: Nemesis.

tl;dr: Gene Roddenberry liked the character far more than the fanbase did. He tried to fix that by making him look better than he was at the expense of other characters. This backfired.

He was called a "Canon Sue". The fanbase hated Wesley....and the actor got the hate in the realworld as a child.

Janeway was hated too:

Garett Wang said:
If you can allow Captain Picard to bawl his eyes out for 10 minutes over the death of his relatives in the opening of the film Generations, then how on earth can you not allow Captain Janeway the chance to show some genuine emotion?

The only possible reason for why Berman did this lies in the various death and bomb threats that were sent to the Voyager production offices at Paramount Studios over the decision to have a woman in command of a starship. Maybe he was afraid of the backlash of a male-dominated America and molded Janeway into a tough-as-nails Captain devoid of human emotions.

The Trek fanbase just fixates on characters and hates them. This was well known back in the 1990s even before the internet was widely used as it was reported in magazines.

OMG and i thought the Nerd Level in the Star wars thread was high, this is off the scale.

Picard atm is a crap show, and about as Star Trek as killjoys.

Its not nerd level to point out all the nerds/dorks are moaning- and it has been shown EVERY star trek series,ie,TNG,DS9,Voyager and Enterprise has had the same moaning since the 1980s onwards.

Its well known how much of a backlash TNG had in its early seasons,people said it was crap,DS9 had a backlash,Voyager had death and bomb threats as Janeway was a women....these have all been talked about by the Trek alumni over the years.

Trek fandom just loves moaning about every new series as the worst. Its a tradition that EVERY new Trek isn't Trek. One has to ask if it is so crap,why do sci fi fans keep watching Trek? :p

Even DS9 wasn't considered "Trek enough" and there was a backlash - the showrunner said so,and I remember it.

It shows you how much so called sci fi fans have short term rose tinted specs on - I expect a lot of the fans who were around when TNG,DS9,etc were on,were part of the backlash back then but have forgotten it all.

The fact is Star Trek through all its series has been a reflection on the era it has been set in(its a very liberal minded series). TOS and its multi-racial and multi-country crew,and its reflection on the cold war(why they had a russian onboard) and racial segregation. TNG reflecting on the end of the cold war and the move towards more collaboration between powers,ie,why you see the Federation and Klingons at peace. DS9 and Voyager reflecting on having women,and minorities into command situations,ie,the equal rates fight. Enterprise reflecting on the war on terror(the temporal cold war),and the current series reflecting on the world we have today(more wars,lack of faith in the traditional systems,move towards conservatism,and people and countries being more self focused).

It is why each series felt different to the previous ones...as the world changes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ma man... :D

She aged really well, still looks great at 52!

Well she has,and so has Heather Graham.

My wife doesn't know who Jeri Ryan is, and have never seen Voyager, and as soon as she was on screen she said: "She's had work done"

She might have done,but if so she has had a good surgeon. OTH,I have met people in their 40s and 50s who look much younger than that,so its not always surgery,but good genes and a good lifestyle. Stress,smoking,bad diet,etc all can cause effects on skin,and people with certain face types age better.

It is possible, I did not observe too closely as nothing seemed too out of place, unlike Jolene Blalock's lips :p

Look at Famke Janssen now(she was in TNG).

Soldato
OP
There's nothing wrong with duck lips....although I was looking a bit lower down most of the time. She's another one packing a great set of photons.

Still remember that shower scene.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There's nothing wrong with duck lips....although I was looking a bit lower down most of the time. She's another one packing a great set of photons.

Still remember that shower scene.
Lol, not sure if serious... I guess someone must like them. By the way, her photons are hacked also. Just too much plastic for my liking. I prefer the natural look, don’t mind light touch ups where the results are not too pronounced however.

I forgot the shower scene but do remember the one in the decontamination chamber where they have to apply some oil on each other :)

Caporegime
It's a shame to know that, in days past, Jeri Ryan and husband went to lots of orgies, he was a senator if I recall, so I guess she's well used :D

Look it up.

Jeri had accused Jack Ryan of asking her to perform sexual acts with him in public,[34] and in sex clubs in New York, New Orleans, and Paris.[32][35] Jeri described one as "a bizarre club with cages, whips, and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling."[36] Jack denied these allegations.

Back
Top Bottom