My New Car

Caporegime
If it was just inspected it might be worth investigating if there's any check of the timing chain during that inspection. Are these supposed to be 'for life' chains?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I’ve asked. It’s non serviceable item, there is no schedule for it. Next step will be to investigate the damage and then see if it’s covered by the warranty, but a rebuild will cost more than the cars worth, so It’s unlikely to be repaired either way.

Soldato
OP
Yep, checked my policy and it’s covered up to the purchase price. Having checked over the wording of the policy I’m pretty confident on them paying out, but we’ll see. I need to pay for around 5 hours investigation for it to go further.

Soldato
Yep, checked my policy and it’s covered up to the purchase price. Having checked over the wording of the policy I’m pretty confident on them paying out, but we’ll see. I need to pay for around 5 hours investigation for it to go further.
Urgh that's a bit of a pain. Paying £600 for investigation on a dead car - and if they come back saying it's not covered that's just adding insult to injury.

Soldato
OP
Urgh that's a bit of a pain. Paying £600 for investigation on a dead car - and if they come back saying it's not covered that's just adding insult to injury.

indeed. I’ve asked bmw to float the scenario with the warranty company first and see what they say. There’s really no way the engine isn’t completely fubar inside as far as I can tell, given we were doing 60-70mph when it went.

Soldato
Same happened to my E60 530d at 172k. Driving a long an A road around 40mph then just engine stall and low oil pressure warning. No other signs. It was ok though as I replaced it a week later with an F10 M5 (every cloud). I have seen it on the road since, but from it's MOT history, the mileage is all out of whack so I can't tell if it's had a recon engine or not.

Soldato
OP
The BMW warranty rep has confirmed that they see no reason why the warranty wont be honoured for this issue so I've given the ok on the investigation. Still a chance that they will consider it an uneconomical repair but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Amusingly, I was mulling over cancelling the warranty. Glad I didnt!

Back
Top Bottom