• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did AMD just kill off RTX

Soldato
I would just laugh at it but ultimately it has the potential to incorrectly factor in people's purchasing decisions and that is just wrong IMO.

I would still welcome some DECENT AMD gpu with RT acceleration, I real/y think its the biggest thing in RT game graphics since the Pixel/vertex shader, it has similar growing pains to boot lol.

Man of Honour
Given that AMD dominate the console market its a lot easier for game makers to just use DX raytracing rather across the board in their titles.

They're unlikely to go to the effort to use RTX for the PC ports. So whilst AMD are catching up they are pretty much killing RTX in the process.

This is the thing - the RTX hardware can simply accelerate standard DXR - there is no need for developers to specifically support nVidia functionality - except in Vulkan where currently AMD hasn't provided a render path and the existing extensions are nVidia specific without a fallback path.

I would still welcome some DECENT AMD gpu with RT acceleration, I real/y think its the biggest thing in RT game graphics since the Pixel/vertex shader, it has similar growing pains to boot lol.

The growing pains largely are that we are only on the cusp of it actually being viable performance wise and still requires a lot of "cheats" to get gaming viable performance but that hurdle will be overcome - the advances lately with path tracing and noise filtering are nothing short of staggeringly good - it blows my mind sometimes just how close they have got to the ideal result given how noisy and imprecise the input data is.

Soldato
Given that AMD dominate the console market its a lot easier for game makers to just use DX raytracing rather across the board in their titles.

They're unlikely to go to the effort to use RTX for the PC ports. So whilst AMD are catching up they are pretty much killing RTX in the process.

Isn't RTX just Nvidia's name for there Ray Tracing hardware which uses DXR on Direct X and can also run in Vulkan. So in essence nothing will really change for Nvidia if more games come out with Ray Tracing as they should still be able to run it.

Soldato

RTX tho is just a rebranding for DX RayTracing.

Caporegime
Isn't RTX just Nvidia's name for there Ray Tracing hardware which uses DXR on Direct X and can also run in Vulkan. So in essence nothing will really change for Nvidia if more games come out with Ray Tracing as they should still be able to run it.

I don't think it changes how Nvidia cards work, just kills off the RTX brand as a selling point and levels the playing field rather than the Nvidia only raytracing support in games we have currently.

Soldato

Yes. Only today I've seen Nvidia are working with the Khronos group to get RTX in to Vulkan. (cant find today's article)

It's already being used in some games such as Wolfenstein.

Remember
RTX is just a rebranding of DX Raytracing. Essentially to make people think if they want RT they need Nvidia.

Soldato
I don't think it changes how Nvidia cards work, just kills off the RTX brand as a selling point.

I still expect to see plenty of games branded with the RTX and Nvidia logo's. Nvidia always throw decent amount of money around to keep there brand plastered all over big releases. It's one of the reasons they have a huge mind share. When people think of Ray Tracing they most likely now have RTX in there as well. Was the same with G-Sync and VRR, Nvidia got in there first and put there brand name on it.

Associate
I don't know about killing RTX, but they may just as well killed the ponzi scheme Nvidia/AMD are currently running with their GPU pricing.

No 500/599 GBP build is going to come close to offering what the Series X offers.

Mass migration to consoles incoming.

Soldato
I don't think it changes how Nvidia cards work, just kills off the RTX brand as a selling point and levels the playing field rather than the Nvidia only raytracing support in games we have currently.

No it doesn't. The only reason there is Nvidia only support in games currently is that Nvidia are the only GPU maker that has bothered to implement it. When AMD release their Ray Tracing solution, the games will use that if they detect an AMD capable card.

Associate
There doesn't seem to be any such thing as "The RTX API". According to nvidia here - https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/raytracing

There is "Optix", their proprietary thing.
There is "Microsoft DirectX (DXR)"
There is "Vulkan VKRay", whiuch looks like an nVidia extension to vulkan.

WolfenStein used that last one there.

RTX is nvidia's name for its hardware raytracing support which can work with all of those. I imagine AMD will want to be supporting DXR and Vulkan too, and it's not clear that Optix is targetted at games, more like FX rendering etc.

Man of Honour

That will depend on the performance difference/viability - currently RT units give around a 6x speed up over best case compute shader performance when all else is equal - that will still resonate with consumers if it is still the story.

Man of Honour
It simply accelerates the hardware rendering path in DXR (which also has mixed/hybrid and software fallback paths).

Associate
It simply accelerates the hardware rendering path in DXR (which also has mixed/hybrid and software fallback paths).

Right, but AMD releasing RT capable hardware won't "kill" RTX in any meaningful way, it's nvidia's branding for their hardware RT acceleration and still denotes nvidia cards that have the hardware capability. There are nvidia cards of the current generation which don't have this hardware.

RTX is leveraging DX Raytracing!

More the other way around, DXR will leverage RTX (and when it's released AMD RT) hardware

Man of Honour
More the other way around, DXR will leverage RTX (and when it's released AMD) hardware

Like with DXR inline mode - where it simply leaves it upto the driver/hardware to return a valid result and doesn't care what is running underneath as long as it gets the right result back - which nVidia's RT hardware is fully capable of being used for.

Soldato
RTX is leveraging DX Raytracing!

The technology in use is the same that AMD will be using. The API is identical.

It's sort of the other way around. Ray Traced games use DXR. Which is Microsoft's direct X Ray Tracing.

DXR will call the hardware/solution that AMD/Nvidia provides. Currently only Nvidia have a Ray Tracing solution for DXR to call and that's RTX.

AMD will not use RTX.

Back
Top Bottom