• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Like I've been saying, GPU prices are gonna take an absolute walloping in the next year. You're not gonna sell $699 2080 Supers when the whole console is going to come at $499 (or $599 at worst) and beat the 2080S. Expect <=$500 2080 Ti performance with next cards. Either that or Nvidia says bye-bye to its revenue.

Aint going to happen. Nvidia are not going to drop $500+ on their high end GPU. When this is released the 3xxx series will be either out or just about to be released so the Xbox will have a lead for a very short time. History shows us this has happened in the past a couple of times and GPU prices didnt suddenly drop through the floor. Always comes around. The 3080ti will then edge out the performance on the Xbox. Nothing will change.

Soldato
Aint going to happen. Nvidia are not going to drop $500+ on their high end GPU. When this is released the 3xxx series will be either out or just about to be released so the Xbox will have a lead for a very short time. History shows us this has happened in the past a couple of times and GPU prices didnt suddenly drop through the floor. Always comes around. The 3080ti will then edge out the performance on the Xbox. Nothing will change.

We'll see. My bet is on Nvidia not having a choice, because their shareholders have them by the balls. There's not enough PCMR bros with money to keep Nvidia afloat just through their high-end cards. They'll have to deliver on value as well, else they'll be lost to consoles + gamepass. Price is a major factor, let's not ignore that. When a PC is gonna cost you >2x what a console does & is not as accessible/convenient. That's not just something you can ignore & hope for the best as Nvidia. They already took a beating with Turing, though a mild one, as far as gaming revenues go. This time it's not just high prices that are gonna threaten them, but also a real alternative.

I for one am looking forward to see Nvidia bleed a bit. They're not stupid, so I'm sure they'll adjust the prices.

Associate
The GPU market is a joke with regards to current prices. Nvidia/AMD will need to cut the prices as they look even more silly now, considering MS is offering a 12TF/8 Core console for around 499/599.

Looking at the specs of the Series X, it'll be an absolute steal at 499, even 599 GBP is decent value considering the tech involved.

Soldato
JUst confirmed, a Xbox One Series X is significnatly faster than a 5700xt, there goes all the haters time to Cry

Phil Spencer just released the specs for the Xbox One Series X

* Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.

* Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.

The next console generation will be defined by more playing and less waiting. And when play begins, we know many gamers demand ultra-low latency to be as immersed and precise as possible. To this end, the team analyzed every step between player and game, from controller to console to display, and asked how we could make it faster.

* SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.

* Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.

* Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
* HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.

* 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.

* Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.

* Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

* Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.

Xbox Series X is our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you at its center. This means a high-fidelity gaming experience enclosed in a quiet and bold design, with the ability to discover thousands of games across four generations, all with more playing and less waiting.

Whether it’s empowering amazing creators at our 15 Xbox Game Studios, fueling game discovery with Xbox Game Pass, or expanding what and where you can play with Project xCloud, Team Xbox stands for frictionless pathways between players and the best experiences our remarkable art form has to offer. Xbox Series X represents that same commitment for players who want immediate immersion in games that also look and feel better than ever.

We can’t wait to share more details about the new Xbox with you in the coming months.

Soldato
When a PC is gonna cost you >2x what a console does & is not as accessible/convenient.

This has been true for years and years.

PS4 Launch Price £349.99
Decent Gaming PC £1000-£1500 at same time

and so on and so on yet GPU prices continue to rise.

Can it be used to run all my steam games ?

No, and it cant run Crysis !

It will sell in millions if they get the price right but I cant see it affecting the PC market in a good way.

What I`d like to know is what hardware is producing the hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing and will it translate to AMD's GPU PC line up ?

Soldato
They look rather fake to me, these kinds of games. I wouldn't describe them as pretty compared to a real life image.

When are we going to get this kind of photo realism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKu1Y-LlfNQ

you can do that right now, unreal engine 4 has several demos with real life graphics. But even on a overclocked 2080ti they run at about 15fps to 25fps. So we need much more GPU power

Soldato
Like I've been saying, GPU prices are gonna take an absolute walloping in the next year. You're not gonna sell $699 2080 Supers when the whole console is going to come at $499 (or $599 at worst) and beat the 2080S. Expect <=$500 2080 Ti performance with next cards. Either that or Nvidia says bye-bye to its revenue.

Not so sure if they be bothered, the issue is this.

The people who gpu's are aimed at, especially the high end gpus are probably not going to change their tact. Likewise if you drop a gpu from say 1000gbp to 500gbp, its probably not going to move someone from console gaming to pc gaming.

For me, the benefits of pc gaming are as follows.

Nice overall spread of game types available, much more spread of game genres.
Game modding (for me this one is absolutely huge), consoles are a walled garden which prevents this.
Modular aspect of PC's for upgrading.
Fee free online gameplay, this adds up, 2 years of psn or xbox live fees is a fair chunk of the cost of the console on top.
Generally better value on dlc content, pc tends to get games later that are cross platform but often the late release comes with dlc bundled in that wasnt bundled on the console.
Keyboard and mouse options in games.
Multi purpose, this if you have more than one purpose pc for e.g. if its also used for work, the cost is offset by those requirements.

The benefits of console gaming.

No real complication in the hardware, you buy the console, its the same as everyone else, and you start installing, playing games.
The platform is optimised for gaming from the ground up generally giving you a good overall experience.
Low cost of entry.
Lighter and more portable kit.

They different models, sony and microsoft want to get as much kit out the door as possible, to allow them to make the money where they really make it which is probably online subscriptions and licensing on games. PC hardware vendors dont really make money on software so they maximise their profits on the hardware.

Ultimately for me software is king, hardware just makes the software more enjoyable to use, e.g. I never buy launch consoles, as there is no gaming library. I didnt buy an xbox one x as it had no games to interest me.

Soldato
Buy whatever makes you happy IMO but personally I'm done with the cost of PC gaming and will happy switch to console. For me the appeal of spending ~£500 on a PS5/XboxSX and not having to worry about hardware upgrades for the next 5 years more than outweighs any negatives.

Given 12 Teraflops and the level of hardware optimisation that goes into console gaming this should provide some seriously impressive visuals which can more than match anything you'd get on PC.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
For me the appeal of spending ~£500 on a PS5/XboxSX and not having to worry about hardware upgrades for the next 5 years more than outweighs any negatives.

Well put. Im not really a console fan but did buy a PS4 when I was injured and signed off work for over a month. If you can get in after the hype settles with discounted bundles your right having the hardware boxed off for years and can just get on with the games.

Soldato
OP
The GPU market is a joke with regards to current prices. Nvidia/AMD will need to cut the prices as they look even more silly now, considering MS is offering a 12TF/8 Core console for around 499/599.

Looking at the specs of the Series X, it'll be an absolute steal at 499, even 599 GBP is decent value considering the tech involved.

Quite funny how you used to post in a Stadia thread saying consoles were doomed and here you are praising the value of a series x.

It's interesting if you read the posts from last year, prior to the necro and 12tflop info. Everyone was pretty defensive of the pc master race but now the specs sound good people are changing their tone.

Associate
Quite funny how you used to post in a Stadia thread saying consoles were doomed and here you are praising the value of a series x.

Aye, and i stand by that. Long term consoles will (eventually) become obsolete. Not today, but long term their days are numbered.

It's interesting if you read the posts from last year, prior to the necro and 12tflop info. Everyone was pretty defensive of the pc master race but now the specs sound good people are changing their tone.

The specs are nice for a console. Doesn't mean to say i'll go out and buy one.

Soldato
OP
Aye, and i stand by that. Long term consoles will (eventually) become obsolete. Not today, but long term their days are numbered.

The specs are nice for a console. Doesn't mean to say i'll go out and buy one.

If they can generate as much hype as they have right now then I think they have quite a long future ahead. If anything, they will make pcs more redundant when it comes to gaming and media.

A console of the next gen power could happily offer keyboard and mouse support and throw in a browser functionality if MS wanted.

No doubt next nvidia drop will be pushing 20tflops or something but if people are getting crazy value elsewhere then I think they will struggle to excite people.

Even digital foundry seem to be getting a semi-on and they are critical of everything.

Associate
If they can generate as much hype as they have right now then I think they have quite a long future ahead. If anything, they will make pcs more redundant when it comes to gaming and media.

Nah, the PC won't be going anywhere as long as customers have a reason to create content, they'll be playing games and consuming all types of media on the platform.

Anyway, consoles are only popular in the West, markets outside (China, Russia, etc) don't give a **** about them. The PC is a global platform.

Soldato
Even just the comments on this thread looking back a few weeks is comedy gold now :p

1440p checkerboard to 4k, Aim for 30fps bam thats your next gen

they will have to make graphical sacrifices to do so

I’d be guessing gtx 1080/2060 levels of performance. It’s reasonably powerful but it’s nothing special.

60FPS won't be a standard on consoles next year, nevermind 4K/60.

I mean it'll probably be a 5700 with Ray Tracing.

They wont be 4k and max settings though

Upscaled 4k I bet.

12 Teraflops of RDNA 2.0 says hi. Phil Spencer says hi, next gen games are targeting 4k 60 to 120fps over HDMI 2.1

Back
Top Bottom