Raise car port floor. Best option?

I'm looking to "convert" our car port into a utility style room. I've bought a second hand sliding door and installed that at the front section which basically covered the complete gap we had. Just now needs a bit of expending foam round the gaps and it's all as weather proof as it'll ever need to be.

Id like to make the floor feel like being indoors by putting some lino down but first would like to raise the floor cheaply to match the kitchen back door that goes into the car port.

Id initially thought to put a dpm down, then purchase some 70mm insulation board and lay that straight on top, add chip board on that to weigh it down and then finally lino and it's done.

The issue with this is the salve is about 3.5m x 2.7m, so the insulation boards are coming to about £100, ontop then the chip boards and the lino it's looking £300 just for this floor. More than what I was hoping to pay.

I'm not looking to spend much on this so thought using wood to raise the floor will be the best option then, however will it feel nice using the insulation board, and perhaps warmer for feet?

There is no heating in this area other than that which will come from a tumble dryer.

What's the best and cheapest option to do this?

Is lino the cheapest and simplest top layer?

Soldato
wooden pallets > DPM > Green chipboard floor > lino

should be able to pick up pallets for free if not then cheap, green chipboard is water resistant so better as a moisture barrier.

Soldato
OP
Won't a good wind blow all that away?
no as there is no wind now the door was put in other than through tiny gaps it's basically 99% air tight.

havne't progressed on this due to the weather but hoping to get some time now it's getting better.

it looks likely i'll go with the insulation board option by putting a dpm down, insulation board, then chipboard straight on top of that. nothing screwed down all floating but the weight should all hold it down tightly? it will have washing machine on it as the heaviest item but also kitchen cabinets along 2 sides will be put straight on top of this. this'll be ok? worried it'll flex when walking over it.

Soldato
Wont the weight of a washing machine squash insulation board? Its normally encased in concrete.

Why dont you build effectively a raised deck using decking joists, insulate between the joists using loft roll insulation and put chipboard on the joists which will hold the weight properly. It wont take much wood to fill 3.5x2.7m.

Back
Top Bottom