Sale of petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040

Soldato
But that’s not really the case is it?

The refining process alone uses multiple TwH hours of electricity from the grid each year alone. An oil refinery uses more electricity than a large town (like the size of Coventry). Then factor in all the transport of said fuel (pipelines, trucking and shipping) and all the energy that is used extracting said crude). The last stats were reported in 2005, the industry unsurprisingly refuses to report it and it’s not in the govs interest to force them. Fuel consumption has increased since then (through more cars in the road).

There is a reason why the big old refineries in Texas are installing huge solar and wind warms to power the refinery. Funnily enough it’s cheaper than using a gas/oil fuelled power station...

Oil refineries are massive industrial installations that process huge amounts of material.

The biggest refineries can process nearly 200,000 tons oil/day.

The process mainly involves distillation and consumes a vast amount of energy. Mostly as Oil rather than as electricity.

Don't know off hand current figure but in the past 5-10% of throughput was a good ball park figure.

Back in the 80's Shell investigated a possible move into Nuclear energy. Mostly commercial electric, but I don't imagine for one moment that they hadn't also considered using reactors to provide process heat at big refineries. It is pretty much an ideal use for a nuclear reactor (Constant output of medium grade heat, (400C) )

Not having to burn oil in refineries would be like finding a new super field in terms of oil discovery and using nuclear reactors would actually cost rather less than having to prospect for and then develop it.

In any case, my main point wasn't so much about the large amounts of additional generating capacity that will be needed to replace our current reliance on oil and gas for transport and space heating. It was more about how the electrical grid, particular at the Low voltage domestic distribution level, has only a fraction of the load capacity that will be needed to achieve this. Even if the generating capacity was available.

Soldato
They cut down the trees to build a factory that will reduce co2 output many times more than that lost by the loss of the trees

When you fell from the stupid tree did you miss any branches?

Musk is **** rich he is likley a ******* *** hole to work for, he is likley a ******" **** but his mission and personal goal for what ever reason benefit man kind (or appear to),.. I'd love to meet him but am under no illusions that someone so successful and rich would not want to speak to or entertain a pleb like me.

It's about 91 hectares of forest, if it's ancient forest then it can never be replaced and the damage is much more than just the co2

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Associate
I shall put it out there.

Fewer people are learning to drive. Delivery and low cost app taxis make owning a car impracticable.

As motorist road pricing is going to hit us really hard. Electric cars are currently an upper middle class diner conversation on how their other halfs cope with the Tesla shopping cart.

Every taxi firm has gone totally electric has tailed. My company bought the software to the last Canadian company for pennies.

Eco/electric fanatics are convinced Lithium ion batteries will make a jump to allow vans/large vans/HGVs to accommodate the gap. In my vehicle requirements a hybrid is 2 years away.

Pie in the sky as by law manufacturers will now only pursue the Lithium ion solution which is flawed.

If electric cars will be so good in 10 years time why do we need laws to stop us buying anything else? The truth is they are rubbish and wont be equivalent.

Soldato
Come back in April when Tesla accounce their new battery tech, which from rumors currently doing the rounds will allow 400+ miles per charge and significantly faster charging rates, along with increased life span.

Need to start thinking of a car as an accessory much like your phone, you only need enough juice to do what your going to do, after that you plug it in and its ready for the next day/use.

Soldato
I shall put it out there.

Fewer people are learning to drive. Delivery and low cost app taxis make owning a car impracticable.

As motorist road pricing is going to hit us really hard. Electric cars are currently an upper middle class diner conversation on how their other halfs cope with the Tesla shopping cart.

Every taxi firm has gone totally electric has tailed. My company bought the software to the last Canadian company for pennies.

Eco/electric fanatics are convinced Lithium ion batteries will make a jump to allow vans/large vans/HGVs to accommodate the gap. In my vehicle requirements a hybrid is 2 years away.

Pie in the sky as by law manufacturers will now only pursue the Lithium ion solution which is flawed.

If electric cars will be so good in 10 years time why do we need laws to stop us buying anything else? The truth is they are rubbish and wont be equivalent.

Yep, they can only go so far with lithium. Lithium batteries are really way to heavy.

It's a bodge. Companies are pumping a lot of money in to it, but it's still a bodge. The solution to EVs has not been invented yet. Technology needs to go up a tier.

Soldato
Companies are putting more money into research on graphene for batteries, its already been done and graphene batteries are already starting to appear in smaller setups, I believe Tesla have a battery investor day coming next month where they will be announcing their advancements in battery tech which could see the Model S have up to 40% more range and much much faster charge times.

Associate
Need to start thinking of a car as an accessory much like your phone, you only need enough juice to do what your going to do, after that you plug it in and its ready for the next day/use.

Sadly as a car enthusiast this is the reality.

At 46 I have enjoyed 28 years of motoring and hopefully a few more. But car travel is set to change for good. The golden years are over and with gps speed restrictions and all the other big brother monitoring it will entail.

Soldato
Graphene will fix the overheating issue too.

Over heating hasn't been a thing for some time, with the exception of the Nissan Leaf which only has passive cooling, afaik all other EV's, certainly from the big brands have active cooling, either with fans or a liquid setup, but yes Graphene will help with that also.

Soldato
I wonder if ultimately (and I'm talking way beyond my lifetime) we will simply not bother with owning a car? I used to be appalled by that idea but now I really wouldn't care if I drove to the local supermarket, blipped my app and a car from the pool in the carpark opened up for me to drive home. Much like the way that you select a handset to scan your shopping :p

It saves a heck of a lot of problems when you think about it- no range issues as you can stop at the services and swap car. Charging can be balanced out across the fleet. Parking becomes less of an issue. People without driveways don't have to worry. If they were really clever they could compensate people for charging up the cars at home so those that can help by maintaining the charge level of the fleet as a whole.... it would take a massive mindset shift and investment in infrastructure though.

Soldato
Until a few months ago, I hadn't owned a car in 10 years. Spent the last six years using DriveNow/Car2Go, the last few years they were turning electric. Great system, cheap for short trips around town, massively reduces parking issues as cars are actually used most of the time instead of being parked, and with reasonable day rates you can get out of town on longer trips as necessary. All of it in brand new BMWs/Mercs. So much better than owning a car.

This is in Germany though, where they know how to to invest in infrastructure. There's no charging point within miles of my home and I don't have off-street parking. I"m going to be reliant on persuading my company to install a charging point at work if I want to go electric.

Going electric is a good idea, but it needs immediate and sustained investment in infrastructure, which simply isn't going to happen under this shower of incompetents in Westminster.

Man of Honour
I hate to agree with Nasher but he said something in another thread that resonated - if EV is the future and is so great why is there a need to ban petrol and diesel? If EV is optimal why would we even want to buy a petrol car in 2040?

Soldato
I hate to agree with Nasher but he said something in another thread that resonated - if EV is the future and is so great why is there a need to ban petrol and diesel? If EV is optimal why would we even want to buy a petrol car in 2040?

It doesn't really have all that much to do with cars. Rather, it ties in to the overarching aim to hit net zero carbon emissions by 2050.

The original 2040 plan came under fire for two reasons. Firstly, it wasn't seen as being very ambitious; new cars would likely go electric or hybrid long before 2040. Secondly, there was no chance of hitting net zero by 2050 without moving the ban forward and including any cars which directly emit CO2.

There is no optimal alternative to petrol and diesel. BEV is simply the most viable alternative based on the technology we have today. But even if a better alternative was found, the ban would likely still be planned. With the average car lasting 14 years in the UK, sales of new petrol and diesel cars need to end in the first half of the next decade to ensure the bulk of these cars are off the road before 2050. Leaving the market to do its thing, there wouldn't be any certainty of this happening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom