Asbestos roof removal

Soldato
At least 10% of that weight was asbestos. They may be lower risk that other forms of asbestos product but they have a good amount of asbestos in them.
Not quite sure what your point is here, but yes its still asbestos and still needs to be treated with caution, hence the safety gear i used doing mine. The type isnt just about weight its about the colour type. White being the lowest risk as far as I found at the time.

Associate
Not quite sure what your point is here, but yes its still asbestos and still needs to be treated with caution, hence the safety gear i used doing mine. The type isnt just about weight its about the colour type. White being the lowest risk as far as I found at the time.

The point is that people automatically presume asbestos cement sheeting contains only small amounts of low risk asbestos, which just isn't true. Asbestos cement usually contains Chrysotile (white asbestos) but its not uncommon for it to contain Amosite (brown asbestos) and can sometimes contain Crocidolite (blue asbestos).

That said it is safe to remove provided you use the correct safety gear and follow simple rules while removing it and cleaning up afterwards. For instance in your thread about removing asbestos cement you appear to have all the correct safety gear but also appear in your kitchen having a cuppy, which is fine before you start removal but a big no no during or after removal.

Sorry but the misinformation about asbestos is a bit of a bug bear of mine and not directed at you personally.

Soldato
The point is that people automatically presume asbestos cement sheeting contains only small amounts of low risk asbestos, which just isn't true. Asbestos cement usually contains Chrysotile (white asbestos) but its not uncommon for it to contain Amosite (brown asbestos) and can sometimes contain Crocidolite (blue asbestos).

That said it is safe to remove provided you use the correct safety gear and follow simple rules while removing it and cleaning up afterwards. For instance in your thread about removing asbestos cement you appear to have all the correct safety gear but also appear in your kitchen having a cuppy, which is fine before you start removal but a big no no during or after removal.

Sorry but the misinformation about asbestos is a bit of a bug bear of mine and not directed at you personally.

Yeap before we began, once we started we didn't do anything else until the last sheets were off and wrapped, then the gear came off and in to its own bag. To be blunt, its not rocket science to follow some simple rules to be safe.

Associate
Yeap before we began, once we started we didn't do anything else until the last sheets were off and wrapped, then the gear came off and in to its own bag. To be blunt, its not rocket science to follow some simple rules to be safe.

But how confident are you that you followed the simple rules?

Did you do it safely? Yes most likely, but there are minor things that don't comply with good practice. Like I said before my comments aren't directed at you personally but more that sometimes the "simple rules" people follow aren't always correct or don't explain things well.

Soldato
OP

Thanks Bert - yes im a surveyor (and the oringal OP) and know a thing or two also - i fully appreciate many have done it themselves but im in my mid thirties and so have plenty of life left before asbestosis or mesothelioma develops because i make a stupid mistake taking the garage roof off myself.

Nope, ill pay for it to be done properly and vacate for a few hours :)

Soldato
Just going to jump into this as there's probably no point creating a new thread.

When I purchased my house 2 years ago the surveyor suspected asbestos everywhere. Due to not being around to have a bespoke asbestos surveyor come and take a look I bought a well regarded kit on amazon. Took all the sample precautions and advice from my builder (he said he was 99% certain most of the stuff wasn't asbestos) and sent the samples off, all came back negative. Bearing in mind most of the stuff was artex ceiling they were worried about.

On taking down one of the kitchen cabinets down I've noticed there was artex previously but the previous owner at some point between 1950 and 2017 had decided to skim over the whole roof, just leaving the bits behind the cupboards he couldn't be bothered to get to.

This has made me wonder, the survey never mentioned any suspected in the kitchen because they obviously don't look very hard, and why skim over one room in the house and not the others? It's also left me doubting the results of the first set of tests I had done as surely they would have been worried about the rest of it?

Ultimately I don't mind just re skimming and not disturbing it but I need to at least rip part of the roof out to fit an extractor fan and new water piping and theres no alternative.

Is it worth punting on yet another kit test or just biting the bullet and paying money I can't afford for a professional opinion?

Soldato
Thanks Bert - yes im a surveyor (and the oringal OP) and know a thing or two also - i fully appreciate many have done it themselves but im in my mid thirties and so have plenty of life left before asbestosis or mesothelioma develops because i make a stupid mistake taking the garage roof off myself.

Nope, ill pay for it to be done properly and vacate for a few hours :)

As a surveyor you should appreciate that you have a higher risk during day to day life of exposure to asbestos then if you were to take simple precautions on a small scale job. You should also know the levels of exposure people went/go through that get asbestosis or mesothelioma in the first place are prolonged....you aren't planning on mining your garage roof for years once its been removed.

Nothing wrong with getting someone to do it at all, but there really isn't a reason to dramatise it either.

Soldato
OP
As a surveyor you should appreciate that you have a higher risk during day to day life of exposure to asbestos then if you were to take simple precautions on a small scale job. You should also know the levels of exposure people went/go through that get asbestosis or mesothelioma in the first place are prolonged....you aren't planning on mining your garage roof for years once its been removed.

Nothing wrong with getting someone to do it at all, but there really isn't a reason to dramatise it either.

Ha! its like being told off by your dad! yes i know thanks Syla - i understand the risks and the levels pertaining to them. Dont mean to dramatise :)

Soldato
Ha! its like being told off by your dad! yes i know thanks Syla - i understand the risks and the levels pertaining to them. Dont mean to dramatise :)
Fair play for replying :D

I completely agree however with anyone who doesn't want to tackle a task like this themselves and would prefer to get someone in to do it :)

Soldato
OP
Fair play for replying :D

I completely agree however with anyone who doesn't want to tackle a task like this themselves and would prefer to get someone in to do it :)

thanks dude - its more the wife than anything - she is terrified and isnt for messing with. Like, ever.

Back
Top Bottom