***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm ill at the moment as well. My whole family and quite a few colleagues have a bad cold, so I guess it was inevitable I'd get it eventually. I still went to the gym today and felt fine during the workout, but now I'm feeling it and I'm starting to wonder whether I've made myself worse by pushing through :(

Soldato
I'm ill at the moment as well. My whole family and quite a few colleagues have a bad cold, so I guess it was inevitable I'd get it eventually. I still went to the gym today and felt fine during the workout, but now I'm feeling it and I'm starting to wonder whether I've made myself worse by pushing through :(

Never understood why people go to the gym when ill.

Man of Honour
I guess it depends what the illness is. I get quite a few colds throughout the year so I'd miss a hell of a lot of sessions if I skipped every time I had the sniffles.

I powered through with a cold on Monday and Tuesday but I'm feeling a lot better today.

Gym = endorphins; endorphins = Greater sense of well-being through suppression of detractive hormones and feedback loops...

TL;DR... Physiology. :cool:

Soldato
I guess it depends what the illness is. I get quite a few colds throughout the year so I'd miss a hell of a lot of sessions if I skipped every time I had the sniffles.

I powered through with a cold on Monday and Tuesday but I'm feeling a lot better today.

Probably passed it on to the rest of the gym, and I guess it's the same reason why you get the colds often... from others in the gym who have colds.

Same concept at work. If you're ill then take it off sick, if you're slightly ill WFH if possible.

Soldato
Probably passed it on to the rest of the gym, and I guess it's the same reason why you get the colds often... from others in the gym who have colds.

Same concept at work. If you're ill then take it off sick, if you're slightly ill WFH if possible.

I just think it's impossible to avoid a cold no matter what you do. The incubation period is up to 72 hours so I'd have already passed it onto everyone anyway before I displayed any symptoms.

I hate having a cold as much as the next guy (and do feel guilty if I suspect I've passed it on), I always feel like death but they're so common that if everyone stopped doing everything whenever they had a cold, society would come to a standstill.

Permabanned
Knowledgable gym friends, I have a strange issue. More and more recently I've been getting tricep cramp after push ups. No issues when benching, but I bust out a few push ups I get cramp on both sides. Can happen at the end of a workout, but today I've been unable to go the gym so I thought I'd do a few sets of push ups just so I've done "something" - first set fine, second set felt fine, stood up, was doing some shoulder dislocates and bang both triceps tighten up painfully.

Google hasn't been particularly helpful, anybody else experience this?

I've had it a few times and can usually put it down to a lack of warm up sets on an accessory exercise. Cable pulldowns usually set them up nicely for me, if the muscle isn't pumped before I do a bodyweight exercise I get weird spasms and cramps.

Soldato
Few pages back there was a discussion on barbell vs dumbell bench press and how strength may carry over.

Well I decided to try barbell again the other day for the first time in about a year. I found going from barbell to dumbell (the first time round) my strength didnt carry over well, mainly because I obviously didnt have the strength to bring the weight 'in' even if I could push up comfortably. This time round going DB to BB I found much better transition.

I regularly train DB but never do BB.

45kg for 5+ Db and managed a comfortable 105kg BB for 6 on my first session after a year. I'm sure I can up it by 5 or even 10 if I focused BB for a few weeks and get my technique back down.

I think I'll continue the DB though, I just really want to hit the nifty fifty's

Soldato
Few pages back there was a discussion on barbell vs dumbell bench press and how strength may carry over.

Well I decided to try barbell again the other day for the first time in about a year. I found going from barbell to dumbell (the first time round) my strength didnt carry over well, mainly because I obviously didnt have the strength to bring the weight 'in' even if I could push up comfortably. This time round going DB to BB I found much better transition.

45kg for 5+ Db and managed a comfortable 105kg BB for 6 on my first session after a year. I'm sure I can up it by 5 or even 10 if I focused BB for a few weeks and get my technique back down.

I think I'll continue the DB though, I just really want to hit the nifty fifty's

No idea who said that, but I don't agree with it. Your workouts should be mixed. If you are working out chest twice a week, alternate between two different exercises. What you said above makes perfect sense, I know from similar experience.

There will also be people who just want to get really good as a certain thing though which is fair enough.

Soldato
Thinking of getting some weightlifting shoes off strength shop for squats and deadlifts. Ive always done squats and deadlifts in my socks and have been fine, any reason why i should get some proper weight lifting shoes besides smelly feet haha.

Man of Honour
Thinking of getting some weightlifting shoes off strength shop for squats and deadlifts. Ive always done squats and deadlifts in my socks and have been fine, any reason why i should get some proper weight lifting shoes besides smelly feet haha.

Do you have a reason for getting them? I am assuming you do...

Soldato
Do you have a reason for getting them? I am assuming you do...
Buying things is fun

Don't wear shoes for deadlifts

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Do both :)

You'll probably have to do BB at some point anyway if your DBs cap out at 50. Doing 3 sets of 50x14, there isn't much more room for progressive overload and it's not ideal for strength.
Pure won't entertain the idea of getting 60s.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

You don't need shoes for deadlifts - for conventional especially any footwear effectively creates a deficit, so the thinner the sole (or none) the better, especially if you have shorter arms and have to bend over more to grab the bar. A heeled shoe puts you at a disadvantage for maximal pulls, which is why no powerlifter deadlifts in WL'ing shoes. If you want a general training shoe that provides stability, especially if you have flat feet etc then there's a lot of options with thin, harder soles.

For squats Olympic weightlifting shoes are most beneficial if the intent is to squat to maximal depth, due to the heel allowing for a more upright torso in the bottom position. They're also beneficial if you have long femurs/short torso and any sort of squat has you more bent over than most people (as the aim of a squat is to grow your legs not your back and the more torso lean, the more the posterior chain has to contribute to the lift).

If you squat low bar or if you only squat to parallel, then a general dedicated trainer like the Reebok Nano's or Nike Metcon's is fine. Minimalist trainers are an option too such as Vibrams, New Balance Minimus etc although it depends on the health of your arches etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do both :)

You'll probably have to do BB at some point anyway if your DBs cap out at 50. Doing 3 sets of 50x14, there isn't much more room for progressive overload and it's not ideal for strength.
Pure won't entertain the idea of getting 60s.

Yeah you are right. I was originally put off BB due to shoulder injury but I've more or less recovered and didnt get any soreness.

I keep telling myself I'll learn from these injuries but it seemingly takes me a few tries :p

Permabanned
Not an especially serious "lifter", I go 3 times a week (2 with a trainer), he always gets me doing dumbbell chest presses. Currently sat at 40kg dumbbells on my 4th set.

Reckon I should be mixing it up a bit with bar presses? I will ask him next time I train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom