Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Sounds about right, it came out in a messy divorce something like 10-15 years back, maybe more. To be honest, I got the feeling she was heavily preasured in to it at the time, but she was too nice to her scumbag senator husband to drag him through the mud on it - she didn't want it all getting out either(and I don't blame her).

She's a nice person, from all the interviews back in the day she seems very genuine so I don't see why she would lie about something that is very embarrassing to herself. And it's not like Senator hasn't lied before.. :D

Just found this, it cost him his senate run: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exit-the-candidate-in-an-orgy-borgy-c3xg0qc58p3

Caporegime
RE: the Wesley thing, i watched TNG first as teen-ager so maybe thats why I never learned to hate Wesley? Sorry I don't fit into that gang :p

Tilly is hot garbage, who's social retardation, would literally have failed her entry to Starfleet as a human. The power of Math woooohoo, I love science!
:p

Soldato
I've tried watching episode 5 3 times now and have lost interest and nodded off to sleep each time, I think i'm done with this show until it comes back for a second season and someone tells me it's vastly improved.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've tried watching episode 5 3 times now and have lost interest and nodded off to sleep each time, I think i'm done with this show until it comes back for a second season and someone tells me it's vastly improved.
Cat-the-filth will be enraged at reading this. But don't worry, according to him when you re-watch this show again in 10 years or so it will suddenly become awesome! This is exactly how Picard and the Federation should be acting, makes total sense :p

Sorry Cat, could not resist ;)

Soldato
Another very flat episode (with the exception of Jeri Ryan's extended cameo). The story barely progressed, and we just got the cast to dress up funny (<jazz hands>) and Patrick Stewart gets to put on a silly accent and show what a luvvie he really is. The cut back and forwards between the characters putting on their disguises and getting down on planet was clunky and amateurish. This isn't the serious, thoughtful and cerebral Picard we know from TNG. Jurati's end of episode twist comes out of left field with no hint from the story or character in a typical Kurtzman fashion, because he can't be bothered to lay down the groundwork. Raffi's encounter with her son was unnessessarily long relationship drama (another Kurtzman trek staple) that just stalled out the story (like all of Burnham's relationship drama scenes in STD).

How the whole episode can appear so disjointed yet go nowhere is amazing.

Soldato
So I've been watching this and for me they're revealing too much too quickly.

1. Revealing that Dajh has a twin - For me thst should have been a S1 cliff hanger
2. The search for Maddox - should have been the story line of S1 and whilst near death in the finale revealed Soji's existence.
Instead this impossible to find person is found in one episode. :rolleyes:

3. The duplicity and involvement of Romulans in the Star fleet cover up of the synthetics incident
4. The duplicity of Agnes Jurati - Maddox's death should have been off screen then revealed later in S2 as been murdered by Agnes.

I get the feeling the showrunners are rushing the story as they don't think they're will be further seasons.

Soldato
Cat-the-filth will be enraged at reading this. But don't worry, according to him when you re-watch this show again in 10 years or so it will suddenly become awesome! This is exactly how Picard and the Federation should be acting, makes total sense :p

Wasn't sure of the Cat comments but reading back now, i get the reference.

I initially wasn't going to read the rest of the thread due to well...spoilers and not yet having finished ep 5 but you know what, I don't think I care anymore.

This show is so clumsily written, edited and poorly acted that if I get spoiled, so be it, can't be worse than sitting through more episodes until this picks up. I've been watcing on blind faith that it would suddenly improve due to Stewart being involved somehow.

Frankly The Expanse has ruined me for sci-fi, a few poor performances aside, it's rock solid high quality sci-fi that this show should have been :(

Soldato
The Expanse plainly doesn't have the budget of Picard or Discovery but it makes up for it in clarity of vision and story arc. It feels and remains consistent to itself. I guess not having however many hundred hours of canon helps. It's a fresh story not a reheated one.

I'm enjoying Picard even though it isn't hitting the all the notes on the long arc story format. The RedLetterMedia guys comments about DS9 episodes within arcs were really good but I guess that's never been an option for Picard, not enough episodes and limited shelf life of Stewart.

I went in with really low expectations of Discovery and I'm kind of enjoying it (season 1 on Ch4) but I think many of the criticisms are valid. Maybe the huge disappointment of The Last Jedi has let me chill, a new benchmark has been set for screwing up the canon.

Soldato
So I've been watching this and for me they're revealing too much too quickly.

1. Revealing that Dajh has a twin - For me thst should have been a S1 cliff hanger
2. The search for Maddox - should have been the story line of S1 and whilst near death in the finale revealed Soji's existence.
Instead this impossible to find person is found in one episode. :rolleyes:

3. The duplicity and involvement of Romulans in the Star fleet cover up of the synthetics incident
4. The duplicity of Agnes Jurati - Maddox's death should have been off screen then revealed later in S2 as been murdered by Agnes.

I get the feeling the showrunners are rushing the story as they don't think they're will be further seasons.
Season 2 is already confirmed.

Soldato
Is anyone else really disappointed they're showing people smoking and vaping in the 23rd century. Star Trek was always famous for having never given in to the pressures of the tobacco industry - for me this feels like a terrible decision.

I was really enjoying Picard - although the last episode was a bit tripe. All the dressing up and silly accents made a bit of a mockery out of the show.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is anyone else really disappointed they're showing people smoking and vaping in the 23rd century. Star Trek was always famous for having never given in to the pressures of the tobacco industry - for me this feels like a terrible decision.

I was really enjoying Picard - although the last episode was a bit tripe. All the dressing up and silly accents made a bit of a mockery out of the show.
I was also disappointed to see that. So many things like this are ruining the show for me. Hence it is best to assume this is also in a different universe like JJ Abrams movies. That way it is easier to let these silly decisions go.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think they are going for the idea that this is not quite your utopian future and its showing the darker side of things. They still used to drink alcohol on the old star treks so there is no logical reason some people wouldn't vape or smoke still.

I mean, the universe was never going to be a perfect place even if Starfleet liked to give off that impression. As a freelancer or someone outside of the federation you are kind of free to do as you please within reason.

Associate
I was also disappointed to see that. So many things like this are ruining the show for me. Hence it is best to assume this is also in a different universe like JJ Abrams movies. That way it is easier to let these silly decisions go.

You didn't notice the abundance of Lens Flares being used in the episodes? :p I already assumed it was linked as an "alternate" Prime Universe already from those Lens Flares. :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is anyone else really disappointed they're showing people smoking and vaping in the 23rd century.

We-e-e-ell...

"The Wrath of Khan", and the intro scene that shows Saavik's Kobayashi Maru simulator test. See the sign behind Bones?

8ueZZZ9.jpg

Now, why d'you suppose there would be a 'no smoking' sign if smoking wasn't at all a thing by the time of Star Trek? ;)

Plus St. John Talbot (the Federation ambassador on Nimbus III) in the fifth film smoking a cigarette, and Martia in "The Undiscovered Country" smoking a cigar on Rura Penthe...

Yes, Gene kept smoking out of the way in TOS because he didn't want the studio taking advertising money to put 23rd century Marlboros or whatever into the show. But I don't think it was ever actually said on-screen in Trek that humans don't smoke any more until Voyager - the same show, lest we forget, that once said you can only fly in straight lines with the warp drive, and had an episode where a member of the crew took a shuttle to infinite speed and turned into a sort-of salamander. So we can maybe take any grand proclamations about humanity having quit smoking with all the pinches of salt in the galaxy :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We-e-e-ell...

"The Wrath of Khan", and the intro scene that shows Saavik's Kobayashi Maru simulator test. See the sign behind Bones?

8ueZZZ9.jpg

Now, why d'you suppose there would be a 'no smoking' sign if smoking wasn't at all a thing by the time of Star Trek? ;)

Plus St. John Talbot (the Federation ambassador on Nimbus III) in the fifth film smoking a cigarette, and Martia in "The Undiscovered Country" smoking a cigar on Rura Penthe...

Yes, Gene kept smoking out of the way in TOS because he didn't want the studio taking advertising money to put 23rd century Marlboros or whatever into the show. But I don't think it was ever actually said on-screen in Trek that humans don't smoke any more until Voyager - the same show, lest we forget, that once said you can only fly in straight lines with the warp drive, and had an episode where a member of the crew took a shuttle to infinite speed and turned into a sort-of salamander. So we can maybe take any grand proclamations about humanity having quit smoking with all the pinches of salt in the galaxy :p

Lol. Let’s just say that sign is there for the audiences of the 60’s :p

Trouble is Star Trek has been around for so long and made by so many people so it is hard to be consistent. To me proper Star Trek is the TNG era stuff. Up until that point I think it was very inspirational and you can see many people who say they went on to become a scientist or astronaut etc. I really cannot see anyone watching Picard or Discovery getting any inspiration at all. That’s the feeling I get anyway, whatever that turns out to be right or wrong who knows.

As I say I will still be watching, but no longer on a week by week basis. Going to let them build up so I can watch the rest in one go.

The Wrath of Khan was 1982 but it was a very different time even then. Although the risks were known, they were only mildly warned of. Small innocuous health warning on the sides of packets. My parents thought nothing of smoking in the same rooms as us or the car. They both died of cancer at the same age I am now, what a shame the risks were buried by the tobacco industry for so long. Money is a powerful thing.

Soldato
The Wrath of Khan was 1982 but it was a very different time even then. Although the risks were known, they were only mildly warned of. Small innocuous health warning on the sides of packets. My parents thought nothing of smoking in the same rooms as us or the car. They both died of cancer at the same age I am now, what a shame the risks were buried by the tobacco industry for so long. Money is a powerful thing.
Now they've just moved on to 'vaping'. I mean look at this tripe. https://www.gmjournal.co.uk/vaping-95-less-harmful-than-smoking

It's like saying stabbing yourself in the arm is 95% safer than shooting yourself in the head.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Now they've just moved on to 'vaping'. I mean look at this tripe. https://www.gmjournal.co.uk/vaping-95-less-harmful-than-smoking

It's like saying stabbing yourself in the arm is 95% safer than shooting yourself in the head.

Its quite similar and I don't see any issue with that... Would you say "flip a coin, I don't care which" if someone gave you the option of getting stabbed in the arm or shot in the head.

Eating processed meat, too much sugar, alcohol, too little exercise, sitting all day at a computer, eating too much, not eating enough veg. All of these things are not good for you but we all do some of them and most of us do all of them and more.

Oh and people have known that smoking is really dangerous for a very long time. It was just socially acceptable regardless of the risk and people could tell themselves it wouldn't happen to them, their doctor does it etc.

My partners parents still smoke like chimneys despite all the known dangers but they are both retired and can smoke in their own home as much as they like. Don't underestimate peer pressure and making it expensive/hard to do as the main causes for people quitting. Loads of people smoked 15 years ago when I was at Uni and there were the prominent warnings on the packs then. Its a choice like everything else.

Soldato

Wasn't sure of the Cat comments but reading back now, i get the reference.

I initially wasn't going to read the rest of the thread due to well...spoilers and not yet having finished ep 5 but you know what, I don't think I care anymore.

This show is so clumsily written, edited and poorly acted that if I get spoiled, so be it, can't be worse than sitting through more episodes until this picks up. I've been watcing on blind faith that it would suddenly improve due to Stewart being involved somehow.

Frankly The Expanse has ruined me for sci-fi, a few poor performances aside, it's rock solid high quality sci-fi that this show should have been :(

I am not being outraged I am just laughing at the constant whinging everytime a new Star Trek is out - and I will say yes in 10 years they will feel differently.

Yeah,the problem is Star Trek fandom always do this. You need to understand that people said they would never watch Voyager since it had a black Vulcan and a female captain,and fans got so enraged death and bomb threats were sent to the offices of Paramount. DS9 was boycotted as not being proper Trek,the words of the showrunner himself:

The critical and popular response to "Deep Space Nine" was very mixed at the time. The show, in my opinion, was very unfairly compared to "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Given the new documentary and how "Deep Space Nine" is now so beloved, did you have the last laugh?

I don't think I would describe it as having the last laugh. I think that it's a good feeling to see that all the things that I wanted to do with "Deep Space Nine," which at the time seemed to create some very strong counter opinions and perpetual fighting, finally pay off. I always felt that ultimately, in some way, that would be a vindication. But it wasn't really about the vindication. All I can control is how I wanted "Deep Space Nine" to be presented to the public, and I had very strong thoughts about that. I just wanted to feel that I was satisfied with the show, and of course that's easier said than done. There were times we didn't live up to what I had hoped for, but we never gave up fighting and that's what I'm proudest of.

The showrunner is laughing at the fandom,as now they went from hating DS9 to cherishing it.

Enterprise had a massive backlash too - the amount of hate it got. People were saying it looks too advanced,the ship is just an upside down Akira class,etc.

If you are a bit older like me,you can remember all the constant backlashes. The fandom said TNG wasn't TOS,DS9 was rubbish compared to DS9 and so on. Too many here have rose tinted glasses on - they would be the very same people moaning about DS9 back in the day or appauled at Voyager being "politically correct nonsense" being forced on people(which was why their were death and bomb threats).

Yet,what is the bet all the fan conventions will be full to the brim of the fandom paying money to get all items signed by all these stars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom