How much house can you get?

Caporegime

I guess if/when the Tories start investing more up north you might get some movement of Londoners up there - I guess Liverpool isn't exactly a Tory favourite though but perhaps some other northern cities.

I mean there are plenty of people in London in their 30s etc.. who have brought a property and could just flog it and live mortgage free up there.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Living in Lincolnshire it's like being a millionaire :D.

in my sunny location the average wage is £20k, and to be blunt you'd be hard pushed to get that without working a couple of jobs or silly hours as theres a LOT of min wage for life jobs around here now. this is in rossendale lancashire.

Soldato
Living in Lincolnshire it's like being a millionaire :D.

I live just outside Lincoln, and it has been amazing these past 20 years or so, but now I've noticed the prices rising quite quickly.

It wasn't that long ago you could buy a very, very nice 4 bed detached for £200k, yet now the same house is knocking on £300k+ I guess that's pretty much the same anywhere though.

Still wouldn't live anywhere else.

We did think about moving house last year, but when you factor in all the costs associated with moving, and the increase in mortgage (if we're moving, it's to a nicer house) we'll stay put for a bit longer.

Does anyone have a graph showing house prices vs income over the past 50 years? That would be interesting.

Soldato
Interesting reading here: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/u...s-baby-boomers-property-ladder-060042411.html

A baby boomer born in the 1950s could buy the typical British home for about £16,800 in 1979, if they were able to get on the ladder as buyers often did in their 20s. The average home only cost just under four times the average pay packet, with the typical worker taking home around £4,200 a year.

The average property sold for around £235,300 last year, according to data from the Land Registry. Meanwhile typical pay packets came in at just over £29,000 last year, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Caporegime
Kings Lynn to spalding is one massive horrible flood plain. If you like that thou, yeah you can have so much land for peanuts! (but probably 1m above sea level )

The great thing about living in one massive flood plain is the flood defense is actually very good. Boston has just had a 100 million tidal flood barrier installed after the 2013 flash flood that went through the town center which in itself was the only flood in 50 years. You also have a huge military presence which always needs protection.

Soldato
Good luck! Ours is taking a bit longer than we anticipated due to HTB halving their staff and our solicitors making a paper work error. We were hoping to exchange on the 13th but looking like next week now

We just wanted to move in to somewhere right off the bat and not have to worry about changing a kitchen or general decorating. We actually wanna be able to live comfortably in the house for a while
Bit late with this but thank you. Hope your paperwork stuffs is going smoothly. Over here the very same thing is driving me loopy. It is taking so long and I’m eager to move but the wife says it’ll likely be April!

All the talks with the solicitors etc is taking its mental toll on me as work keeps me busy as it is!

Soldato

So essentially you need 2 people earning the average wage to buy the average house or 1 person on a very very good wage. The average wage seems skewed by the South East though, for many many people they could only dream of earning £29k.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busin...ber-of-middle-aged-people-still-renting-homes

BBC is doing a lot about housing at the minute but found the stats in this video interesting, I really don't know how anyone can afford to rent when they retire. It's not like you can save more as rent is usually the same if not more than a mortgage and will only increase.

Soldato
Bit late with this but thank you. Hope your paperwork stuffs is going smoothly. Over here the very same thing is driving me loopy. It is taking so long and I’m eager to move but the wife says it’ll likely be April!

All the talks with the solicitors etc is taking its mental toll on me as work keeps me busy as it is!
Yeah the paperwork really saps all the fun out of it! Though we sent out deposit to the solicitor today so now the fun begins as we can now go in and pick all of our choices for flooring, kitchen and bathroom which should be exciting

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busin...ber-of-middle-aged-people-still-renting-homes

BBC is doing a lot about housing at the minute but found the stats in this video interesting, I really don't know how anyone can afford to rent when they retire. It's not like you can save more as rent is usually the same if not more than a mortgage and will only increase.
It's hilarious that the mainstream media is finally realising this. News is so short-termist nobody cares about what will happen when millions of renters retire. Let's bang on about how millennials can never afford to buy a house, but not mention the fact that somebody with potentially a very decent career, might not have a very good pension pot, might not have saved enough, ends up renting into old age and will essentially get kicked out onto the streets to starve when they retire/lose their job. Our economy is ****ed if we don't sort out housing.

Soldato

Followed a link through from there about prefab homes, what would the drawbacks there be? They're just not built to last?

Soldato
Followed a link through from there about prefab homes, what would the drawbacks there be? They're just not built to last?

Looks like a good idea to me. New prefab homes are nothing like the post WW2 tin roof sheds, in many cases they are better built than your standard new build.

Not sure on longevity or if there they are classed as a non-standard build for mortgage purposes though.

Back
Top Bottom