LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Hi, twice now my monitor refresh rate has switched to 85Hz in Windows 10 desktop and the colour to Y**4:2:2 and Limited range... trying to set it back to RGB does not work; and no higher refresh rates exist above 85Hz.
Rebooted the PC and it is back to normal - 160Hz, RGB and Full range...
I am using the DP cable that came with the monitor.
My graphics card is an Asus RTX 2080 Super EVO OC
Any ideas what is going on here please?

Could be the cable. I had issues with the OEM one and swapped it out.

Does anyone play PUBG on this monitor?

What DPI setting is your mouse for PUBG?
I tried 800 and it was far to slow. I currently use 1200 but still feel like I should increase it a little.

I use 1,600 DPI. I grew up on higher sensitivity and can't do these crazy low DPI/huge mouse pad whole arm movement settings the "pros" use these days.

Associate
Many Thanks Vega & Born 2 Kill 83 - appreciate it - thought there was something wrong with my monitor or graphics card.

I will see if it happens again, if it does - i will swap with another DP 1.4 cable i have; however my original cable only ever gave me 85Hz, and that is why i went with the DP cable that came with the monitor.

Associate
Man this monitor is so much better than my old Asus XG438Q!

Colors just pop and are more vivid and the image looks a lot better even though the contrast ratio is much lower than that Asus XG438Q I have. And the best part is the response! Omg this monitor is blistering fast, it leaves the Asus for dead with all the bloody black smearing the XG438Q has!

Very happy with the upgrade.

Also, people having issues with the monitor switching to 85hz 422, I think it happens when the monitor has been idle for too long and goes into standby from windows. When it comes back on, it does so at 85Hz. Probably just a bug and not any fault to any hardware. Anyways, this is how it happens for me, I can avoid it by making sure the monitor does not goto standby mode. Always stays at 160Hz 444 in that case.

Associate

Colors just pop and are more vivid and the image looks a lot better even though the contrast ratio is much lower than that Asus XG438Q I have. And the best part is the response! Omg this monitor is blistering fast, it leaves the Asus for dead with all the bloody black smearing the XG438Q has!

Also, people having issues with the monitor switching to 85hz 422, I think it happens when the monitor has been idle for too long and goes into standby from windows. When it comes back on, it does so at 85Hz. Probably just a bug and not any fault to any hardware. Anyways, this is how it happens for me, I can avoid it by making sure the monitor does not goto standby mode. Always stays at 160Hz 444 in that case.

Many thanks; I can confirm the above; the monitor switching to 85Hz , 4:2:2 and Limited; is when the monitor has powered off. Then when your monitor itself powers off the monito; For me it seems to be around 30minutes of inactivity - i.e. Windows setting 15minutes power off Monitor setting; and then whatever the setting is in LG Monitor settings etc..

I don't get the monitor going into 85Hz, if I move the mouse say between the 15-30min mark.

What settings are people using here to stop this slightly annoying behaviour of switching to 85Hz please?

Man of Honour

Pretty sure you’re the same person who emailed me at TFTCentral pondering this upgrade. I’m pleased to hear you were happy with the change! :)

Associate
Pretty sure you’re the same person who emailed me at TFTCentral pondering this upgrade. I’m pleased to hear you were happy with the change! :)

Bahaha, that sure is me! I went ahead and pulled the trigger immediately after that e-mail. Thank you very much sir! :)

Definitely a worthy upgrade over the Asus!

Associate
Haven't experienced that issue myself either. FWIW, I'm using a USB-C to DP cable to connect to the monitor. The USB-C port on the RTX graphics cards works fine for driving the monitor. I don't think there would be any advantage to using USB-C, but it's easier for me to swap the cable between my PC and MBP if I need to, so that's the only reason I did it.

Man of Honour
If it’s a bug with the screen then I’m sure they will fix it with a firmware update. That’s a good thing about having user updates via the software :)

Associate
re: the Monitor going into 85Hz, Limited Range etc.. after it has gone into deep sleep etc.. \ powered off due to inactivity. I decided to raise a speculative ticket with LG customer services; and they have responded with the below. I have given permission for VOC and said I would share their response so that others having this issue can also do the same with LG to this niggle \ problem fixed.

Following on from your previous correspondences with my colleague, Remi, when he said that he would like to invite you to raise a VOC for this, he means that we would like your permission to write-up an internal report to raise a suggestion for this software update to the relevant department at Head Office.
This will allow us to try and get an update delivered for this specific Monitor model to rectify this issue for you, if we manage to raise enough of these VOCs.
If this is something you would like me to go ahead with.
I regret to inform you that we do not have a reference for this specific issue, we have simply explained to our Technicians the best course of action to take.
However, you do have a reference for your correspondences with our agents, which I can provide you with.
CNU200225934327
In regards to a time-scale to fix this issue, this would be an internal process that is undertaken by a member at Head Office, who will investigate and inspect each case carefully.
If we receive enough demand for a software update, then our developers will be asked to produce a solution for this.
You may not receive a response from this action, although in the event that something does happen, I will be the first one to let you know.
If you know anybody with a similar issue, please inform them to send us an email or to give us a call so that we can raise another VOC for this cause. That way, we will be able to generate enough demand to fully rectify this issue.

hope the above is of help to people.

Caporegime
38GL owners, do you have to re-set the Hz every time the monitor goes to sleep? Or are their 2 modes of sleep etc? I often just put my computer to sleep for an hour or so, just wondering if I'd have to manually turn the monitor off every time in order to avoid re-setting for 160Hz.

Back
Top Bottom