Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
one small step for coffee kind ... β testing now

[ http://www.byleew.nl/experiment/measuring-effect-londinium-distribution-tool/ ]

49518167317_8ca5bcf312_c_d.jpg

it is possible it cost more than £30

Soldato
two further versions (safety pin ... thin wire)
wires winning .. needs to be narrow, not to throw the coffee out, or displace it, too much.

did think some kind of ultrasonic mechanism/probe would work ?

49522185723_e2608bd94d_z_d.jpg

Soldato
Hey everyone,

So I like coffee, Like me a flat white when I'm out and about.
Would like to have that at home.

I currently have moka pot/aeropress/hand grinder for beans.

What would people recommend in terms of machine? Can I get a good one for ~200 or am I needing to fork out much a lot more for good stuff?

I don't want to end up with something that'll deliver sub-par coffee but looks good in the kitchen etc. I want to enjoy every one I make and enjoy the fact I made it....if that makes sense haha

Soldato
my auction site link would probably be the cheapest option. I'm not really a Sage appliances fan TBH. They are made to a price so there's going to be more plastic internals than I would like. You really want a copper boiler for your espresso machine.
I'd buy a separate espresso machine & grinder myself which I did 3 years ago.

Best to start off would be second hand; Gaggia classic (at least more then 5 years old) or a Rancilio Silvia (which I have) & a Eureka Mignon. Coffee Forums UK always has good quality used machines on there, if you are hesitant about buying from the auction site/Gumtree/FB marketplace etc.

Soldato
ooooh, looks good
my auction site link would probably be the cheapest option. I'm not really a Sage appliances fan TBH. They are made to a price so there's going to be more plastic internals than I would like. You really want a copper boiler for your espresso machine.
I'd buy a separate espresso machine & grinder myself which I did 3 years ago.

Best to start off would be second hand; Gaggia classic (at least more then 5 years old) or a Rancilio Silvia (which I have) & a Eureka Mignon. Coffee Forums UK always has good quality used machines on there, if you are hesitant about buying from the auction site/Gumtree/FB marketplace etc.

I think you're a bit hard on them afaik they have a stainless steel thermoblock, even if they have an abs cover (my HX has abs side panels)
teardown video show similar pump to my HX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOMX4zOUfI
so, given additional economy of scale, yes, they may make more profit too, but I don't think its kings new clothes.

The quick heat up and PID, versus a silvia are attractive too , temoperature surfing without a PID on the siliva is one of the reasons I changed to a (2nd hand) HX.

(per earlier posts) duo temp pro ~£150 and a separate grinder is probably where I'd go.

Soldato
/\/\/\ I didn't really have much choice as regards an espresso machine because of space. I fitted a PID to my silvia about 3 or 4 months after I bought it. The PID itself seems to show odd readings when the pump is working, I have no idea why it does that but it does the job I want & the interweb has not revealed the cause of the odd readings, so I cant be arsed to repair it. I'd love a better machine but it's down to the space that I have.

Soldato
Puly Caff 900g ... some available on ebay at £8 ... previous has lasted 7 years .. probably don't back flush enough.

Problem with portafilter being blow off during shot ... handles at 5 oclock ... which I used to believe was completely stable but,
I now need to hold the handle initially, otherwise it can unwind with the pressure.
I had assumed once you are past 6oclock you are on the flat section of grouphead, as opposed to the tapered initial section .... so I don't get it.

Soldato
Puly Caff 900g ... some available on ebay at £8 ... previous has lasted 7 years .. probably don't back flush enough.

Problem with portafilter being blow off during shot ... handles at 5 oclock ... which I used to believe was completely stable but,
I now need to hold the handle initially, otherwise it can unwind with the pressure.
I had assumed once you are past 6oclock you are on the flat section of grouphead, as opposed to the tapered initial section .... so I don't get it.
Rubber could be hardening in your gasket. Better when it's warmed up maybe?

Back
Top Bottom