• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Some things to consider:

• Consoles should get close to what, 2070/2080 performance?
  • Consoles should drive GPU prices back down because surely there will be a serious choice for the consumer to make?
  • When push comes to shove, consoles will be around for 5 to 7 years with the same hardware, GPU performance does not stagnate like that.

PC gaming is going nowhere, of anything the release of these new consoles is like a new GPU bringing competition back into the market and that can only be a good thing. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Agree with @Hedge

Nobody has had 4k/60hz since 2012, don't make me laugh.

In 2015 I had SLI Titan X's and even that struggled to maintain 60fps at 4k at a decent detail level.

2080Ti is about the first GPU that can almost always achieve it.
I have had mine since 2014. I think it was in 2013 they started coming out but you needed 2 cables to get it to work so I skipped those.

Soldato
PC gaming is going nowhere, of anything the release of these new consoles is like a new GPU bringing competition back into the market and that can only be a good thing. :)

This +1

If anything as a PC gamer you should be happy to see the release of new consoles which mean that games no longer have to be held back by having to run on hardware that was released in 2013!

Soldato
This +1

If anything as a PC gamer you should be happy to see the release of new consoles which mean that games no longer have to be held back by having to run on hardware that was released in 2013!

Exactly, and who wants to pay £750 for a GPU alone if you can get one of these new consoles for £500? Makes no sense.

People are assuming this means everyone will flock to consoles because of the extortionate price of GPUs, but the man's still got to sell his GPUs so there's only one way to make that happen.

Soldato
ultimately what excites me most about the new consoles is that it moves the hardware baseline for new games forward substantially.

Now when creating games developers can target for PS5/XboxSX in the knowledge that all systems will have 10+ teraflops, 16Gb RAM and high speed SSD storage.

Finally we'll see cross platform PC ports that actually make use of modern hardware.

Caporegime
No point in getting salty about PC Vs console. It's just a case of getting whatever works best for you just now.

The way things are going it's looking like both PC and console will be rendered obsolete by online game streaming and cloud/hosted services/platforms within 5-10 years anyway.
Unlikely.

You can't make the latency go away. Fundamentally light and electrical signals can only travel as fast as physics will allow, so there will always be added lag to streaming services like that.

I don't think people will want to give up their local gaming.

Esp in this country where the internet is pants. BT will take until about the year 3020 to get rid of the copper lines...

Caporegime
These consoles could have 20TF for all i care. On console you get a baseline experience, whereas on PC the games are the best they can be. So many benefits to PC gaming that consoles just don't provide. Would rather spend a little extra on hardware.

You're always going to be limited on a console, no matter how good the specs may appear. It's all just marketing BS. Happens at the start of every console generation.

But some knuckle draggers on here can't see past that, obviously.
I think you've got some pretty big hang-ups about consoles, and your views don't reflect reality.

Plenty of us don't care about modding, btw, which is normally the "big deal" people talk about when they talk about consoles being "so limited".

I've never modded a single one of my games as I like to play the way the creator's intended.

And I don't support vendors that leave patching and bug-fixes to "the community" (which ironically happens more on PC because MS/Sony don't put up with that on their consoles).

Caporegime
Exactly, and who wants to pay £750 for a GPU alone if you can get one of these new consoles for £500? Makes no sense.

People are assuming this means everyone will flock to consoles because of the extortionate price of GPUs, but the man's still got to sell his GPUs so there's only one way to make that happen.
The man has other markets for his GPUs, and even if he wants to sell to gamers he can make PC gaming a niche, high-end hobby.

The man also wants to sell golf memberships, but he doesn't just sell them to any old rabble, and you'd best believe it's a few grand a year to be a member. Niche hobby.

Soldato
The man has other markets for his GPUs, and even if he wants to sell to gamers he can make PC gaming a niche, high-end hobby.

The man also wants to sell golf memberships, but he doesn't just sell them to any old rabble, and you'd best believe it's a few grand a year to be a member. Niche hobby.

I see your logic, but I don't think the analogy is entirely valid. Nvidia need to sell in massive volume, and the high prices are already unsustainable. People stretched to £700 for mid range Turing because there was no option other than buy or don't buy. If there were consoles available with similar performance for less, then that choice would have been more interesting.

I really don't see niche market £1.5k GPUs as Nvidia's future, especially when there are options available to the consumer.

Soldato
I really don't see niche market £1.5k GPUs as Nvidia's future, especially when there are options available to the consumer.

I agree. It'll be very interesting to see whether Nvidia continue with their current GPU pricing once the next generation consoles are out....

Associate
I think you've got some pretty big hang-ups about consoles, and your views don't reflect reality.

Plenty of us don't care about modding, btw, which is normally the "big deal" people talk about when they talk about consoles being "so limited".

I've never modded a single one of my games as I like to play the way the creator's intended.

And I don't support vendors that leave patching and bug-fixes to "the community" (which ironically happens more on PC because MS/Sony don't put up with that on their consoles).

I don't have anything against consoles, in fact i have a few digital Xbox 360 games i haven't touch in years.

What i don't like is the marketing BS everyone seems to lap up at the start of a new console generation.

When you look at the features of these new systems, there is absolutely nothing there that wasn't already available on PC.

Then you have a lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds (PSN is held together with duct tape and glue), lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

Then there is your digital library licensing, i bought Outrun Online for the Xbox 360 when i had the console over a decade ago. The game got removed, i can't even play or get access to it anymore.

Contrast that with Outrun Coast 2 Coast, which i bought on Steam, it also got removed, but it remains in my library available to download whenever i want (and play at 4K).

Consoles are nothing more than a ***** PC wannabe, i found that out the hard way when i bought a PS4 (and returned it shortly afterwards). They are more or less a PC, but they do everything worse than a PC.

As you see above it's not just about graphics, but everything else the PC platform offers and in that regard consoles aren't even close to matching it outside the graphic realm.

Soldato
OP
I don't have anything against consoles, in fact i have a few digital Xbox 360 games i haven't touch in years.

What i don't like is the marketing BS everyone seems to lap up at the start of a new console generation.

When you look at the features of these new systems, there is absolutely nothing there that wasn't already available on PC.

Then you have a lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds (PSN is held together with duct tape and glue), lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

Then there is your digital library licensing, i bought Outrun Online for the Xbox 360 when i had the console over a decade ago. The game got removed, i can't even play or get access to it anymore.

Contrast that with Outrun Coast 2 Coast, which i bought on Steam, it also got removed, but it remains in my library available to download whenever i want (and play at 4K).

Consoles are nothing more than a ***** PC wannabe, i found that out the hard way when i bought a PS4 (and returned it shortly afterwards). They are more or less a PC, but they do everything worse than a PC.

As you see above it's not just about graphics, but everything else the PC platform offers and in that regard consoles aren't even close to matching it outside the graphic realm.

What about the marketing BS you lapped up for stadia before it became abundantly clear it was a flop and you abandoned the thread ? Get a grip dude. You are becoming a bit lame.

And you seem to have a lot of supposed knowledge about psn. When you haven't got any experience of using it? Because that would require having a console right?

Your whole post is tragic

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I dont know, my experience of the PS4 was a good one. The only gripe I had was conforming to the horrible gamepad to play fps where I normally boss about on the mouse/keyboard. I did get forced trained after time but its not a patch on the m/k. I liked the fact it doubled up as an entertainment system to watch netflix/etc and it was very capable on the streaming/capture. Graphically I was blown away with GoW but not many titles seemed to be able to reach these heights.

I can see if the new consoles do up it another notch, I am going to be hard pressed to pass it up eventually. Especially if the discrete GPU's think a grand is the new normal for gaming then Im definitely done with it.

Associate
What about the marketing BS you lapped up for stadia before it became abundantly clear it was a flop and you abandoned the thread ? Get a grip dude. You are becoming a bit lame.

And you seem to have a lot of supposed knowledge about psn. When you haven't got any experience of using it? Because that would require having a console right?

Your whole post is tragic

You sound butt hurt, is that the best you can come up with?

There isn't a single ambiguity in my post above as to why i should choose a console over my PC, based on my experience with both.

Your response is telling.

Good night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
You sound butt hurt, is that the best you can come up with?

There isn't a single ambiguity in my post above as to why i should choose a console over my PC, based on my experience with both.

Your response is telling.

Anyway, i've just wiped my arse with you.

Good night.

Haha all you need to do is read your posts in Stadia thread and it puts all your other waffle into perspective.

You have some kinda personal vendetta against consoles, like it offends you if people praise them.

Your post is prattling on about your experiences with an xbox 360 10 years ago. How is that relevant to current/future gen consoles? I could start talking about how much of a mess Steam was when it launched but I wouldnt because its improved.

You mention its reliance on retail? erm... all consoles have digital stores and the ability to expand your hard drive storage.

"As you see above it's not just about graphics, but everything else the PC platform offers and in that regard consoles aren't even close to matching it outside the graphic realm."

Going on about PCs compared to consoles as if they are targeting the same market. It's absolutely obvious they are two different products. Most of us own a PC and a couple of consoles. Dont get "butt hurt" if people are able to enjoy a number of platforms.

Soldato
  • Consoles should get close to what, 2070/2080 performance?

Digital Foundry did a recent comprehensive comparison between framerates on the One X and 5700xt, because they thought the new consoles would match the 5700xt - even they were surprised to learn the new consoles are significantly better than the 5700xt.

In their tests, they found the 5700xt @ 1800mhz gets exactly Double the Frames per Second that the One X gets.

For example:

pr3iatst.dbm.png

So we are looking at double the One X performance, plus extra - the extra cannot be totally quantified, we just know it's at least 24% extra but very possibly higher than 24%.

Using Wolfenstein performance above, if I add 24% to the 5700xt score because the new console has 24% more Tflop, then add another 10% for VRS which the 5700xt and One X doesn't support, what do we get?

We get a Xbox Series X console running this game at 4k 120fps, compared to the Xbox One X running it at 4k 45fps. A total increase from the One X to Series X of 166%

Just remember that Wolfenstein is not the most demanding game to run and is well optimized, don't expect 4k 120fps in all games, most won't hit that.

Back
Top Bottom