Cycling Holidays

Soldato
Guys, what's Majorca like genuinely end of June/start of July time?

Other half is sorting summer hol for us and at the moment has found a cracking deal on a place in Alcudia...

Won't be a cycling holiday but I might be able to steal a morning/afternoon out if I can find a hire bike for a few hours (should be no problem!)...

EDIT: https://goo.gl/maps/LbYuCHZvQn54hpm96

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys, what's Majorca like genuinely end of June/start of July time?
Other half is sorting summer hol for us and at the moment has found a cracking deal on a place in Alcudia...
Won't be a cycling holiday but I might be able to steal a morning/afternoon out if I can find a hire bike for a few hours (should be no problem!)...
EDIT: https://goo.gl/maps/LbYuCHZvQn54hpm96

I haven't been July but have around Palma (and P Pollenca) early august.

Its hot. I had to ride between 6am and 10/11am because any later and it was scorching. As I was up early, there wasn't much traffic around but as I got back to the villa there was noticeably more traffic around. I cant comment about the mountains but id expect it to be as you read; busy with lots of coaches.

Would I go then for cycling holiday? No. Would I still try to ride if I was out there? Certainly.
(book bike hire as soon as you can).

That road you are on is a popular one. Its nice and wide but will get busy. Is it your first time going?

There might be bike hire places closer to you but I had a good experience with a place called "Sport Bequi Alcudia" when I was there this time last year. I forgot my garmin and was trying to hunt for one in PP. The owner of SBA happened to be in the shop when I was there and said that he would open up his shop (on a Sunday when most things are closed) especially for me.
Reward good customer service and all that (and its also very well stocked).

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't been July but have around Palma (and P Pollenca) early august.

Its hot.
Didn't want to avoid seeming 'rude' by not replying sooner!

Great info thanks and exactly what I was looking for. Unsure if we'll be going there now (quite a few bad reviews about cold/bad food). Have not been to Majorca before and never done a cycling holiday. Kick myself every time we go away that I've not scouted out a route and then head off one morning...! ;)

Soldato
Roady- if you do end up in Alcudia then Wheelsports is a decent hire place. I had some kind of Merckx carbon bike with Ultegra and it was spot on.

Also now that I’ve made a useful post I feel I can brag that I’m off to Mallorca for a week in March. First ever dedicated cycling holiday. Mega paranoid about flying with the Bianchi but it would be rude not to take it with me!

Soldato
Having a cycling holiday booked at this time of year to get away from the awful weather always seems to give me that boost. I'm heading down to an area just south of malaga in 5 weeks for 10 days with a mate and our missus'. Ticks off both boxes that way! We can go and ride and they can go and lounge around/go for a run.

Soldato
Anyone got an Evoc travel bag? I'm trying to decide whether I need to remove stem and bars, or just the bars. Only removing the bars is my preference as then I don't have to worry about my headset dropping apart mid-transit!

Soldato
Yes, I always remove the stem and twist and put headset back in place to keep it all together, the height of the bag stops it from going anywhere.

Soldato
Mate is on lock down in lanzarote.

Bus going about with a loudspeaker and police checking you are only going to a shop or your work.

Guy running a bike hire place in Javea, place is empty and on lock down too.

Soldato
Currently stuck in Spain about hour south of Malaga. Not home until Monday, would say at least the weather has been nice but it's not been great.

Managed a nice ride on Sunday even under lockdown, saw a police car who flashed me and a checkpoint who just said to go home....

Soldato
Has anyone cycled around near Madrid? Or maybe Calpe / Girona?

Potentially going to be in Spain early Feb and wouldn't mind taking a few days to cycle. I'd need to rent a bike.

Did you go here in the end?

Heading to Calpe on the 4th for 6 nights then up to Toledo for another 6 nights so if anyone has any ride recommendations @Thomas. PLease. I think you went a few times. or if anyone has any nearer to Madrid it would be appreciated!

Soldato
Did you go here in the end?

Heading to Calpe on the 4th for 6 nights then up to Toledo for another 6 nights so if anyone has any ride recommendations @Thomas. PLease. I think you went a few times. or if anyone has any nearer to Madrid it would be appreciated!
Ahh. That's a blast from the past :D

I had plans to go Calpe and hire a bike after a trip with some friends in Madrid. I had a train booked and flight back from Alicante. That weekend/week turned out to be proper bad weather. It was actually snowing in Madrid so I cancelled the flight back and returned early from Madrid. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Soldato
Had a good few days so far out in Calpe, weather has been minimum mid 20s every day, bit of rain earlier today in town but after I'd left so mostly dried up by time I got back. I've had to put up with a few of spains brililant road closures where the road just stops with roadworks closing the road! scooted through one out in the middle of the hills as I couldn't work out a way around to see a lone workman having a fag at the end.....
biggrin.gif
Descent off Col De Rates was great as were the views up the top. Bit of a mess up on my route today meant I did quite a few of the same roads I'd done previously, but I'm riding one way to Villena tomorrow, so about 65 miles of new roads and some proper climbs, although think highest I'll get to is only just over 3500ft... but total climbing of 8000ft or so... As some have said once you get out of the towns all the roads are great. Just busy around Calpe obviously. Me and the wife walked up Olta on Thursday afternoon which was fantastic and if you like a challenge well worth it for an off the bike adventure and then I hiked up Ifach (the big rock) once again worth it for the views! Definitely a great spot for a cycling holiday but would stay further out if I came back to get straight on to the quiet roads. Pictures on strava/instagram

https://www.instagram.com/paulinportsmouth/

https://www.strava.com/activities/6066462780

https://www.strava.com/activities/6072355168

https://www.strava.com/activities/6077885365

https://www.strava.com/activities/6086605402

Back
Top Bottom