• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's likely just be a technique similar to checkerboarding that PS4 pro does at times just on a higher scale.

If any one believes this or next xbox will do 8k at 120fps they are deluded.

Said it many a times but 4k for me doesn't change much I find HDR is what makes the difference

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
The funny thing is that in any game that has any action, you really can't tell the difference between resolution after a certain point. Same with FPS however that ceiling is a bit higher.

All of the analysis of PS4 Pro vs Xbox 1X end up freeze framing and counting pixels. If you can't see a difference with the naked eye then another 10 FPS or true 4K over 1080p doesn't make a difference.

Man of Honour
The funny thing is that in any game that has any action, you really can't tell the difference between resolution after a certain point. Same with FPS however that ceiling is a bit higher.

All of the analysis of PS4 Pro vs Xbox 1X end up freeze framing and counting pixels. If you can't see a difference with the naked eye then another 10 FPS or true 4K over 1080p doesn't make a difference.

In action games the difference between 60 and 120 is really clear, particularly FPS games.

At normal viewing distances 1440p is already at the limit of what the eye can physically resolve, but for some reason people chase pixel count for no benefit whatsoever. That's marketing for you I guess.

Associate
HDR is the game changer. Let’s hope it’s done properly in every game next gen. Some really dissapointing hdr implementation this past couple of years which put me off gaming tbh.

fez

fez

Caporegime
In action games the difference between 60 and 120 is really clear, particularly FPS games.

At normal viewing distances 1440p is already at the limit of what the eye can physically resolve, but for some reason people chase pixel count for no benefit whatsoever. That's marketing for you I guess.

Yeah, thats kind of what I was saying. I think 144 is about the limit where you can't tell any more or there is almost no benefit.

Associate
I think next gen the difference in graphic fedelity will not be as high the major upgrades will come in other areas due to more cores, faster CPUs and SSD speed.

For example if a new version of Destiny 2 was ps5 patched I would expect - higher FPS, fov sliders, seemless load times between planets, faster access to the tower and upscale option to 1440/4k.

Soldato
I think next gen the difference in graphic fedelity will not be as high the major upgrades will come in other areas due to more cores, faster CPUs and SSD speed.

For example if a new version of Destiny 2 was ps5 patched I would expect - higher FPS, fov sliders, seemless load times between planets, faster access to the tower and upscale option to 1440/4k.

I know you're giving an example, but I've read similar posts where people are advocating for these kind of updates while allowing crossplay. Updates such as this would create competitive advantage, so I don't see it happening.

Soldato
I know you're giving an example, but I've read similar posts where people are advocating for these kind of updates while allowing crossplay. Updates such as this would create competitive advantage, so I don't see it happening.

Giving the large differences in framerates, I'd say cross gen multiplayer will either be nerfed or just not done once the next gen machines launch

Soldato
Sony need to be giving more info at this point imo, Microsoft have done steady flow of updates.

I can only assume Sony want Microsoft to announce near on all the details so Sony can alter plans to attempt to one up them

Man of Honour
Sony need to be giving more info at this point imo, Microsoft have done steady flow of updates.

I can only assume Sony want Microsoft to announce near on all the details so Sony can alter plans to attempt to one up them

If Sony are behind on power then they will be coy about the details. We'll probably get some vague console details with a focus on the SSD, and a bunch of game announcements.

Soldato
I prefer there exclusives myself. I still think they should be giving more info at this stage. I cant see how they would be behind though especially if both using AMD tech, surely spec wise they will be close.

Man of Honour
I prefer there exclusives myself. I still think they should be giving more info at this stage. I cant see how they would be behind though especially if both using AMD tech, surely spec wise they will be close.

Both the PS4 and X Box one used similar tech but the PS4 is a lot more powerful.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is no point in targeting 120fps because 90% of TVs can't output it.

They are capable of outputting it but games won't be developed with it in mind.

4k 60 will be good enough for most.
Agreed.

I still think there will be many games that will target 30fps just to up the eye candy though.

I think even the so called 120fps games might be 60fps at default and then you will have a 120fps option. This will then lower resolution.

They should just give us the options in menus.

Soldato
I'd be happy with 60 FPS in racing/FPS games - as I recall (from PC gaming days), there's only a small percentage of people who can actually see the difference above 60 FPS; most people see below that, probably why most of us notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS games. I think that anything over 60 is just willy waiving that ought to stay with those special folks in the PC camp.

For non racing or FPS games, 30 FPS 4K with loads more eye candy would be acceptable to me, but 60 FPS 4K with the same level of eye candy would be awesome imo.

Who knows though - I'm pretty certain I will again go to the Sony camp next gen, as Xbox simply has nothing in their line up that interests me - I will leave it a couple of years/couple of new Forza games down the line; then pick one up I expect - even if the h/w in the Xbox kicks the **** out of PS5.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think I'd be annoyed if anything is 30fps in the next gen. We need 60fps to be the benchmark for everything now.
As long as they offer you a 60fps option, it should be fine no?

I recently played God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn, which as far as I know were all 30fps and they felt plenty smooth to me. I had the option in some of them to go lower resolution and go 60fps but I stuck with the eye candy :D

Associate
I hope the ps5 isn’t way behind Xbox in their spec. I’m thinking they will be which is why MS have got in early and Sony delaying. Hope I’m wrong.

Soldato
As long as they offer you a 60fps option, it should be fine no?

I recently played God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn, which as far as I know were all 30fps and they felt plenty smooth to me. I had the option in some of them to go lower resolution and go 60fps but I stuck with the eye candy :D

The games you listed are all great to play on ps4 Pro no doubt. Horizon zero dawn looked and played brilliantly but with a new generation I would want to see a step change in things. Seems daft sticking with 30fps. 4k alone makes most things look pretty enough anyway.

Back
Top Bottom