• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Permabanned
Even just the comments on this thread looking back a few weeks is comedy gold now :p

Proper got you hook ,line and sinker there hasnt he! What exactly is the difference between what we said and what you are saying? Its all just words at this point until its out and we see real world performance.

I would absolutely love to see it perform like my 2080ti at 4k all maxed out. I was buying one anyways regardless of what it does but we all will have to see how well it performs.

12 Teraflops of RDNA 2.0 says hi. Phil Spencer says hi, next gen games are targeting 4k 60 to 120fps over HDMI 2.1

Permabanned
Sorry I mess a mess of cut and paste that last post....

Proper got you hook ,line and sinker there hasnt he! What exactly is the difference between what we said and what you are saying? Its all just words at this point until its out and we see real world performance.

I would absolutely love to see it perform like my 2080ti at 4k all maxed out. I was buying one anyways regardless of what it does but we all will have to see how well it performs.

People saying the PC master race is dead need to wind it in though. Its got a 2 year old card in there and within 2 years it will be a distance behind again. As I said, Im all in as I am every year but people expecting 4k 120 will get a shock.

Soldato
OP
I don't think many people have said pc gaming is dead. There is no chance of that.

Think the concensus is just if a console turns out to be as powerful as they are claiming then the pc market will need a shakeup because it becomes difficult to justify £1000 gpus.

Soldato
Digital Foundry did a recent comprehensive comparison between framerates on the One X and 5700xt, because they thought the new consoles would match the 5700xt - even they were surprised to learn the new consoles are significantly better than the 5700xt.

In their tests, they found the 5700xt @ 1800mhz gets exactly Double the Frames per Second that the One X gets.

For example:

pr3iatst.dbm.png

So we are looking at double the One X performance, plus extra - the extra cannot be totally quantified, we just know it's at least 24% extra but very possibly higher than 24%.

Using Wolfenstein performance above, if I add 24% to the 5700xt score because the new console has 24% more Tflop, then add another 10% for VRS which the 5700xt and One X doesn't support, what do we get?

We get a Xbox Series X console running this game at 4k 120fps, compared to the Xbox One X running it at 4k 45fps. A total increase from the One X to Series X of 166%

Just remember that Wolfenstein is not the most demanding game to run and is well optimized, don't expect 4k 120fps in all games, most won't hit that.

And the Series X specs were leaked a week before Microsoft announced it, from a game tester, who also provided PS5 specs. Time will tell if the PS5 specs are also correct.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
People saying the PC master race is dead need to wind it in though. Its got a 2 year old card in there and within 2 years it will be a distance behind again. As I said, Im all in as I am every year but people expecting 4k 120 will get a shock.

its got the equivalent of a 2 year (18 months) old gpu in it performance wise give or take, and as for being behind in 2 years its behind today as a 2080ti is more powerful, but to even give it equal to that you have the 3000 series dropping this year, so the thing with consoles is once they fix the specs thats that unless they do a mid life refresh again. the more interesting thing will be that variable graphical quality setting thing where it lowers settings per pixel in places it thinks it can get away with it so that could get some nice performance boosts in some games, think forza or other fast moving games where it can drop quality of the background while you're wizzing past.

will be interesting to see how it works though in the wild as most of us know and accept what manufacturers say and what happens can be two very different things, but just a shame so many on here have taken "up to 8k and up to 120fps) as meaning it will do 120k in 4k games in some yes in others no chance, depends on graphical quality but dont expect nice looking games hitting anywhere near 120fps in 4k.

Soldato
its got the equivalent of a 2 year (18 months) old gpu in it performance wise give or take, and as for being behind in 2 years its behind today as a 2080ti is more powerful, but to even give it equal to that you have the 3000 series dropping this year, so the thing with consoles is once they fix the specs thats that unless they do a mid life refresh again. the more interesting thing will be that variable graphical quality setting thing where it lowers settings per pixel in places it thinks it can get away with it so that could get some nice performance boosts in some games, think forza or other fast moving games where it can drop quality of the background while you're wizzing past.

Can almost guarantee racing games will do 4k 120 like the next forza, despite good graphics racing games are very light on resources.

And what do you mean 2 years old? Its technically from a series of GPU that AMD hasnt even officially announced or revealed, it's brand new tech. Unless you are suggesting because it has the performance of a rtx2080 that now its somehow 2 year old performance - thats not a fair comparison.

Dont think anyone is saying PC is going to go away or die. The consoles will of course be outpaced by PC hardware after a couple years but they are starting from a much power position this time around. People need to be happy that games will start from a higher baseline.

The Xbox One launched with a AMD 7750/GTX750, a low end GPU in 2013. The series X is a GeForce RTX2080/Radeon 6700, high end in 2020.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
with the graphical detail scaling that is a possibility, the problem is using forza as an example what happens when you turn a corner at slower speed and the detail ramps up, like i said will be interesting to see how it works in the wild but there is one MAJOR sticking point, how many people have a 120hz 4k screen in the living room :p

and as i said its equivalent of a 18 month old gpu, but still until we see it running in the wild who knows how it will perform in reality.

Soldato
with the graphical detail scaling that is a possibility, the problem is using forza as an example what happens when you turn a corner at slower speed and the detail ramps up, like i said will be interesting to see how it works in the wild but there is one MAJOR sticking point, how many people have a 120hz 4k screen in the living room :p

and as i said its equivalent of a 18 month old gpu, but still until we see it running in the wild who knows how it will perform in reality.

The age is irrelevant, its still has the performance of the 2nd fastest consumer gaming focused graphics card money can buy today. It may not be 2nd anymore when it launches, but it is today. When the XBox One launched it was already like a bazillion places down

Last edited:
Soldato
Here you go, here is the Xbox One launch hardware relative to PC GPU's in 2013

ubybm5v2.uow.jpg

And here is the Xbox Series X relative to PC GPU's in 2020

2qcja3hc.tgp.jpg

Soldato
Which is on a par with the 1080ti I bought roughly 4 years ago. And this new console performance will stay like that for the next what, 5-7 years?

You miss spelt "its faster than 90% of PC gamer's PC's, just look at the steam hardware survey"

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha all you need to do is read your posts in Stadia thread and it puts all your other waffle into perspective.

You have some kinda personal vendetta against consoles, like it offends you if people praise them.

Your post is prattling on about your experiences with an xbox 360 10 years ago. How is that relevant to current/future gen consoles? I could start talking about how much of a mess Steam was when it launched but I wouldnt because its improved.

You mention its reliance on retail? erm... all consoles have digital stores and the ability to expand your hard drive storage.

"As you see above it's not just about graphics, but everything else the PC platform offers and in that regard consoles aren't even close to matching it outside the graphic realm."

Going on about PCs compared to consoles as if they are targeting the same market. It's absolutely obvious they are two different products. Most of us own a PC and a couple of consoles. Dont get "butt hurt" if people are able to enjoy a number of platforms.

Pwned again :p

He will now go hide under his little rock and wait for some news to support his views to be released so he can pop out again.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
You miss spelt "its faster than 90% of PC gamer's PC's, just look at the steam hardware survey"

we dont know how fast it is yet, step away from the marketing ffs!

come back once we have seen it running in the wild and we know how it actually performs, for now all we have is a list of vague specs and that are promising for it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Which is on a par with the 1080ti I bought roughly 4 years ago. And this new console performance will stay like that for the next what, 5-7 years?
It all comes down to cost though doesn’t it. They could release a much better console if they wanted, but if the price goes much above $500 it will not sell well at all. Just goes to show that in the last 4 years we have not improved price for performance much.

Still though I am impressed with what the consoles are bringing this time round relative to last time at least. This will mean PC ports will be much better.

Last edited:
Soldato
It all comes down to cost though doesn’t it. They could release a much better console if they wanted, but if the price goes much being $500 it will not sell well at all.

Absolutely, and that's the dilemma for those with a bigger budget. It's a nice choice to have and I look forward to seeing the final spec as I'll definitely buy one for my boy, but the point I'm making is that I've had that performance for a couple of years now... And that's before we even get started on Ultrawide, custom resolutions etc.

It's good to see competition in the gaming space, but there's no way these consoles will rival a PC build on a bigger budget. The previous poster who is waxing lyrical about "the performance of the 2nd fastest consumer gaming focused graphics card money can buy today" is maybe getting a little bit carried away with the hype and self justification.

Soldato
OP
I personally dont expect it to match a 2k pc because consoles never have. I do think it's going to be a pretty significant jump and it's going to hopefully change perspectives a little bit.

1400 quid gpus are quite silly when you consider you can still enjoy a game on something less than a quarter of the price. My Gtx 1080 is probably worth about 240 quid or something but it still manages to give me a good experience at 1440p on games like AC:O and Metro etc.

If you stop to enjoy a game instead of flap about a benchmark score you might find you appreciate gaming more.

Back
Top Bottom