Travel Insurance

Soldato
I just bought some worldwide cover as I need to go to Japan in 3 weekd and noticed that it excludes contagious viruses. It was only a £30 policy so not surprising...

Do I need better cover?

What is not covered
1. The first £50 of each and every claim, arising from the same incident claimed for under this section in relation to
any temporary holiday accommodation occupied by you.
2. Compensation or legal costs arising directly or indirectly from:
a) Liability which has been assumed by you under agreement (such as a hire agreement) unless the liability would
have existed without the agreement.
b) Pursuit of any business, trade, profession or occupation or the supply of goods or services.
c) Ownership, possession or use of mechanically propelled vehicles, aircraft or watercraft (other than surfboards
or manually propelled rowing boats, punts or canoes).
d) The transmission of any contagious or infectious disease or virus.

Soldato
I was thinking the same yesterday, I think you will struggle to get cover thats going to help now.

I have a trip to the Netherlands booked in October and am already debating if I should take the booking beyond deposit.

Soldato
Just checked mine

Compensation or legal costs arising directly or indirectly from:
a) Liability which has been assumed by you under agreement (such as a
hire agreement) unless the liability would have existed without the agree-
ment.
b) Pursuit of any business, trade, profession or occupation or the supply of
goods or services.
c) Ownership, possession or use of mechanically propelled vehicles,
aircraft or watercraft (other than surfboards or manually propelled rowing
boats, punts or canoes).
d) The transmission of any contagious or infectious disease or virus.

Associate
Was just checking my policy and ....
"Up to £20,000,000 for specified expenses that are medically,necessary to treat a medical emergency during your trip, as a result of unforeseen bodily injury, complication of pregnancy, illness, disease and/or compulsory quarantine. "

That was with coverwise if that helps.

UL.

Soldato
It’s always been the case that if you go against FCO advice you’re not covered under most policies. It wasn’t introduced because of Coronavirus. Things like rocking up to war torn countries or oppressive regimes are also a no-no for insurance so FCO guidelines are useful catch all get out clause that’s been around for ages.

Soldato
OP
Was just checking my policy and ....
"Up to £20,000,000 for specified expenses that are medically,necessary to treat a medical emergency during your trip, as a result of unforeseen bodily injury, complication of pregnancy, illness, disease and/or compulsory quarantine. "

That was with coverwise if that helps.

UL.
The policy I bought is with coverwise too. Perhaps I'm ok since FCO isn't advising against travel to Japan.

Soldato
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/ is a useful guide; more detailed than news outlets.

I usually struggle with travel insurance due to having to declare a pre-existing medical insurance (£170 annual), and now struggling to find cover for an upcoming holiday to Mauritius end of April. My preferred insurer doesn't appear to cover flight/hotel cancellations due to FCO advice (on paper, will phone to check tomorrow), and it seems there are few who will offer medical+travel diruption+affordable cover. I could be looking at £250+ for the year.

Back
Top Bottom