I need help with a Motherboard

Associate
Heya, I need a motherboard that can fit a GTX 1660 Super and an Ryzen 5 2600 Processor. I don't really have a budget for the Motherboard yet but I need to some the types of motherboards that I will need to get.

I'm assuming that I'd also need ddr4 ram but if this isn't the case don't be afraid to let me know

Thanks in advance.

I don't currently have much money but I'm aiming around a 500 - 600 pound budget

Last edited:
Soldato
It would depend on if you’re trying to build a really compact system or something full sized.

The default option is a full size ATX board with a case designed to fit it.

Soldato
I haven't bought it yet

Don't, it's not good value at all. To start off with, look at the Ryzen CPU's. You can get a MSI Tomahawk motherboard for it and some DDR4 RAM for 300 odd quid. If you want a small case then look to get the MSI Mortar motherboard (basically the MSI Tomahawk motherboard but cut down to fit into mini atx cases)

Case sizes are, trying to keep it simple here,
Micro ATX - very compact and small
Mini ATX - smallish
ATX - average size build
E-ATX (big wide motherboards) BIG tower cases normally needed.

You're best off telling us what money you have to work with, if you want a big, average or small case, what the PC will be used for.

Soldato
Don't, it's not good value at all. To start off with, look at the Ryzen CPU's. You can get a MSI Tomahawk motherboard for it and some DDR4 RAM for 300 odd quid. If you want a small case then look to get the MSI Mortar motherboard (basically the MSI Tomahawk motherboard but cut down to fit into mini atx micro atx cases)

Micro ATX Mini ITX - very compact and small
Mini ATX Micro ATX - smallish
ATX - average size build

You're best off telling us what money you have to work with, if you want a big, average or small case, what the PC will be used for.

Fixed.

Associate
OP
Don't, it's not good value at all. To start off with, look at the Ryzen CPU's. You can get a MSI Tomahawk motherboard for it and some DDR4 RAM for 300 odd quid. If you want a small case then look to get the MSI Mortar motherboard (basically the MSI Tomahawk motherboard but cut down to fit into mini atx cases)

Micro ATX - very compact and small
Mini ATX - smallish
ATX - average size build

Im aiming for a 500-600 pound budget

Soldato
Let us know if you could use some help finding out the case size format. It's necessary before choosing motherboard and possibly an optional cooler.

Do you already have a 1660 Super?

Associate
OP
Let us know if you could use some help finding out the case size format. It's necessary before choosing motherboard and possibly an optional cooler.

Do you already have a 1660 Super?
I haven't bought any parts except from the parts I'm already gonna be using (Case, Power Supply, Mouse and Keyboard, Monitor)

I would appreciate it if you could help me find my case size because it's something I've never dealt with before :)

Soldato
I haven't bought any parts except from the parts I'm already gonna be using (Case, Power Supply, Mouse and Keyboard, Monitor)

I would appreciate it if you could help me find my case size because it's something I've never dealt with before :)

Alright. Look at the back of the case and count the expansion slots:

V8bz46F.jpg

2 or 3 is Mini-ITX. 4 or 5 is Micro-ATX. 6 or more is ATX or EATX.

See what rear fan size it has. 80mm or 120mm or 140mm. That'll give an indication of the size of CPU cooler you can use.

Find out which power supply it is (brand and model) and which monitor (resolution and refresh rate).

If possible, take pics of the case and power supply.

Back
Top Bottom