Cranks but won't start after a storm

Associate
Dunno if it depends vehicle to vehicle but crank no start often doesn't result in the rev needle moving. I might be wrong but I do get the feeling it is more something along those lines though but a flooded engine or fuel starvation due to being on an incline, etc. are strong(er) possibilities.

I'm going on my 2000 RS4 - nothign on the rev counter = CPS dead! Might be different on a newer car maybe though.

Just for the elephant in the room, I say it's broken because it's a Jag!

Soldato
This is almost certainly just a flooded engine caused by the short distance you moved the car.

Best way to clear it is to just keep cranking the engine and keep your foot on the throttle right down to the floor. Might take a good several times of 15-20 seconds of cranking to clear it - don't be afraid to keep it going!

It's this, all day long.

Wasn't saying snapped - maybe it is just that engine but the sound of each crank is kind of short compared to what I'm used to like it is hitting a brick wall as it turns over.

It's not this, it's just flooded. The ECU is what's doorstopping it from starting as it's in anti-flood protect mode.

It's not a crank position sensor fault? Reason I say that is because your rev needle isn't moving at all, when it should on crank?

No, and as your username suggests, you should know this. My Ibiza, doesn't move the rev needle whilst the engine is cranking. In fact, I can't think of a car since about 1990 that would.

Associate
Had this on an old ‘99 Nissan Micra. AA removed the fuse for the fuel pump to get it started - so it wouldn’t just lump more fuel into an already flooded engine.

Soldato
It's not this, it's just flooded. The ECU is what's doorstopping it from starting as it's in anti-flood protect mode..

It is bloody annoying when you come across this on a flooded engine. ECU simply wont let you clear it! Like 5 seconds of cranking then stop! :mad: Too clever for their own good really!

(Sort of like "clever!" systems that wont let you drive with your foot on the brake to dry things out after driving through water)

First time I came across it was on an old Renault that had flooded out. On that at least I could access and drive the starter with a remote switch to get it going.

Associate
It's this, all day long.

It's not this, it's just flooded. The ECU is what's doorstopping it from starting as it's in anti-flood protect mode.

No, and as your username suggests, you should know this. My Ibiza, doesn't move the rev needle whilst the engine is cranking. In fact, I can't think of a car since about 1990 that would.

I've not had that car for well over a decade. As per my other post, it's on my 2000 B5 RS4 and it definitely does move when cranking and that's far newer than your "can't think of a car since about 1990"...

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not had that car for well over a decade. As per my other post, it's on my 2000 B5 RS4 and it definitely does move when cranking and that's far older than your "can't think of a car since about 1990"...

"Old" rev counters were typically driven directly from the -/CB contact on the coil, so would flick while cranking.

"Modern" ones are driven by an ECU module as part of the display-pod.

It is likley that the modern ones will not start to register until the pod ECU recognises that the engine is actually running rather than just being cranked.

Though this may not always be the case and in the past there will have been a lot of crossover.

Man of Honour
"Old" rev counters were typically driven directly from the -/CB contact on the coil, so would flick while cranking.

"Modern" ones are driven by an ECU module as part of the display-pod.

It is likley that the modern ones will not start to register until the pod ECU recognises that the engine is actually running rather than just being cranked.

Though this may not always be the case and in the past there will have been a lot of crossover.

The big distinction will be whether the instrument cluster reads engine speed directly in some manner (Pulsed output from ECU/Coil) or the cluster receives engine speed over CANBUS. Chances are in the case of CANBUS based clusters the ECU doesn't start transmissiting engine speed until its out of the cranking phase

Man of Honour
It is bloody annoying when you come across this on a flooded engine. ECU simply wont let you clear it! Like 5 seconds of cranking then stop! :mad: Too clever for their own good really!

(Sort of like "clever!" systems that wont let you drive with your foot on the brake to dry things out after driving through water)

First time I came across it was on an old Renault that had flooded out. On that at least I could access and drive the starter with a remote switch to get it going.
My 2004 TDCi Fiesta does this. If it detects an engine rpm of more than 200 for a couple of seconds it cuts the starter. Hugely infuriating, as they can be a bit reluctant to get going if they have been sat a while.

Soldato
He comes in, posts 3 messages......

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom