For people with a streaming music service

Soldato
Besides, when everyone started moving to digital media, they offloaded their physical media for peanuts and I can pick it up now for just a few more peanuts than they sold it for.

This.

I have a huge DVD collection now, all bought for £10 for a box of 50-100 (Or more even) at the local auction house.

I would like to archive them to HDD so I can box the disks up and put them in the loft. But I probably will always keep them, just in case the digital storage fails....

Commissario
Oh and also I like the fact that Spotify will hit me up with a bit of nostalgia or start playing music based on what I like - Foo Fighters just came on randomly which was a nice surprise :)

Soldato
We have the family Spotify and share it out, it's also handy having one account for the Google Home devices as it means when the wife listens to stuff at home it doesn't disconnect me from listening!.

Although we also do it wrong as we seem to also pay for Netflix, Prime and some other services and share our logins for all those to rather than sharing who pays!

I still buy Vinyl for the artists i really like, and have about 1500 cd's in the loft that i can't bear to get rid of!

Soldato
Are you prepared to pay for the service for the rest of your life

Yes.

No physical clutter. Instant access to essentially all the music out there I'll ever want. Instant access to new music, it's a no brainer.

I did look the other day and two people I didn't know were using my account though, one was based in Germany. I just kicked them off and changed the password. Freeloaders! :D

Caporegime
Are you prepared to pay for the service for the rest of your life so that you don’t lose access to your music collection?

At what point do you say ‘enough’ and stop subscribing to music?

Will you then start paying again to buy the music back as individual files/albums?

People pay monthly for these?

I just switch between all the trials from various places (Spotify, Amazon, Itunes, Google, Youtube music etc). Usually you get offered another trial if you havent had one for a while so rinse and repeat.

Amazon sometimes charge 99P for 4 months so i pay a quid here and there but on the whole i have had a music subscription of some sort for the past few years and only paid a few quid for the pleasure.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This.

I have a huge DVD collection now, all bought for £10 for a box of 50-100 (Or more even) at the local auction house.

I would like to archive them to HDD so I can box the disks up and put them in the loft. But I probably will always keep them, just in case the digital storage fails....
So you are the guy buying all of these! :p

I traded an enormous box of DVDs (iirc around 200) to Music Magpie a few years ago using their scan and send service. Only got between 20-50p per disc but i figured that they were obsolete anyway. For me personally i replaced the collection with HD MKV files instead. Much easier to play around the house, no chances of discs ever getting damaged, no discs laying around/needing to be swapped out per film, and most importantly DVDs are all standard def which these days isnt so great if you can swap out for HD or even 4k versions.

Soldato
People pay monthly for these?

That's kinda how the business model works, yea.

I just switch between all the trials from various places (Spotify, Amazon, Itunes, Google, Youtube music etc). Usually you get offered another trial if you havent had one for a while so rinse and repeat.

Sounds like faff.

For £15 a month for me and the missus, it keeps all of our playlists in one place, learns what you like and recommends new content, and connects to the PS4/TV/Carplay etc. it seems like a bargain.

Soldato
and most importantly DVDs are all standard def which these days isnt so great if you can swap out for HD or even 4k versions.

Standard def is as good as I need.

Not much point in shelling out for Super HD video if you do not have the Super HD Eyesight to go with it. :p

1080P on a 50" screen (or more) is just fine for me!

Soldato
Yes.

I have Spotify Family. I pay 9.99 a month for it as I get a discount for being a Business Apps user (despite the fact I don't pay for that)

£10 quid to have instant access, wherever I am, not needing storage units in the house to store physical media, not having to spend a couple of hours finding what I want only to find out that it's sold out.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Standard def is as good as I need.

Not much point in shelling out for Super HD video if you do not have the Super HD Eyesight to go with it. :p

1080P on a 50" screen (or more) is just fine for me!
Dvds are not 1080p...they are 480p/576p! Not saying that i wouldnt watch them as i too lack HD vision ( :D) but in this day and age everything is available at much clearer resolutions and displays are all much more detailed than that. Playing a DVD compared with a 1080p file let alone a 4k one looks half way back towards VHS :p

Soldato
Dvds are not 1080p...they are 480p/576p! Not saying that i wouldnt watch them as i too lack HD vision ( :D) but in this day and age everything is available at much clearer resolutions and displays are all much more detailed than that. Playing a DVD compared with a 1080p file let alone a 4k one looks half way back towards VHS :p

You are correct, I was mixing up with Blu-Ray. <Blush>

But I still find normal resolution just fine really. Even standard DVD has better resolution than some of the Freeview channels (Is this due to old low-res media being broadcast or the fringe channels being cheap on the digital bandwidth?)

Still have some old VHS tapes which I watch occasionally. The low res is obvious, but once you get into the content it is quickly forgotton.

(A bit how with the old Supermarionation shows like Thunderbirds, you quickly forgot they were puppets and accepted the characters as real people, in a way really that doesn't seem to work, for me anyway, with the more sophisticated modern animations)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The freeview channels looking bad is them being cheap on bandwidth, yeah (or perhaps cheap is wrong, i dont know how it is allocated on freeview) :) I am with you on the res stuff really, i am no snob when it comes to AV quality either.

Permabanned
So you are the guy buying all of these! :p

Yup. The thing is, I'm not a huge movie watcher. So my DVD collection isn't massive and I don't really care about the resolution. If there's something I really want to see, I'll see it in the cinema. And to give you an inkling into how little modern movies interest me, the last time I was inside a cinema was for the third Matrix movie and the third LOTR movie. Superhero films to me are as interesting as the time period when Hollywood did nothing but churn out cowboy films. If you've seen one, you've seen em all. So at least half of my collection is old classics, and modern foreign films, most being Japanese or South Korean.

On the other hand, I'm a massive music collector. I've four or five flight cases full of CDs tucked away and they hold 200 CDs each and two flight cases that hold 50 12 inch vinyl. Everything I buy I rip to digital myself, because it has to be done "right" (and by right I mean secure) and with all the correct metadata.

Caporegime
That's kinda how the business model works, yea.

Sounds like faff.

For £15 a month for me and the missus, it keeps all of our playlists in one place, learns what you like and recommends new content, and connects to the PS4/TV/Carplay etc. it seems like a bargain.

Fair enough.

I don't value it all that much (ie i could live without it) so i'm quite happy hopping between trials.

Man of Honour
2 Spotify accounts here, one for myself and one for the wife both provided free by Vodafone. Has been like this since I can remember! If Voda pull it id pay for it straight away without any hesitation. Not having to mess about ripping, transferring etc is perfect, and I really like spotify easy to use drags up some cool tunes based on my tastes etc. Can't fault it and think its worth the money.

Soldato
It's an interesting point when you look at it long term.

We pay £15 a month for the family subscription (6 users have access). So we're talking £180/year.

Assuming Spotify continue to operate for the next 20-30 years, excluding any price hikes for inflation etc, we'd end up paying £3,600 - £5,400 for access to the service.

I guess if you pay an average of £5 for an album, you've got the equivalent of 900 albums over 25 years (36 albums a year).

So it doesn't seem all that bad, when you consider that you'd have to store those 900 albums, some may get damage with use/carelessness, if you want them on your phone etc you'd need to rip/transfer them over.

So i guess it really comes down to your consumption of music. If you rarely listen to anything new and consume the same media regularly, then a streaming service like spotify is probably more costly to you than buying the media.

Soldato
OP
It's an interesting point when you look at it long term.

We pay £15 a month for the family subscription (6 users have access). So we're talking £180/year.

Assuming Spotify continue to operate for the next 20-30 years, excluding any price hikes for inflation etc, we'd end up paying £3,600 - £5,400 for access to the service.

I guess if you pay an average of £5 for an album, you've got the equivalent of 900 albums over 25 years (36 albums a year).

So it doesn't seem all that bad, when you consider that you'd have to store those 900 albums, some may get damage with use/carelessness, if you want them on your phone etc you'd need to rip/transfer them over.

So i guess it really comes down to your consumption of music. If you rarely listen to anything new and consume the same media regularly, then a streaming service like spotify is probably more costly to you than buying the media.

Digital copies are a thing.

Permabanned
some may get damage with use/carelessness

Borrowing my mum's car infuriates me because she ejects CDs from the player and just shoves them into whatever cubby hole is within reach. Every time she asks to borrow an album, I burn it for her. No way in hell I'd give her originals.

Back
Top Bottom