This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour

Thanks!

VCDX next?

I'm considering it, but I ideally need to be lined up to a suitable project I can use as a base. I'm going to have a think and if I do want it, have a discussion with my manager and see what the next step is. I'm under no illusions that it'll be easy or even attainable, but it would be one hell of an achievement if I did get it.

Soldato
We're just finishing a VCF SDDC Deployment with vRealize including vRA for a customer and it's made me think about going for some VMware Certs too, the major problem I have had in the past is the extortionate costs for the mandatory training, but we've had a fairly large injection of the o'l cash so may ask for the training. I've spent most of my career being a bit anti-cert after meeting CCNPs and even CCIEs who don't have a clue what they're doing, and admittedly multiple people from GSS who are 'VCIX' in their signatures but I have had to suffer through haha. But I would like to aim for a good VMware Cert or three.

Man of Honour
We're just finishing a VCF SDDC Deployment with vRealize including vRA for a customer and it's made me think about going for some VMware Certs too, the major problem I have had in the past is the extortionate costs for the mandatory training, but we've had a fairly large injection of the o'l cash so may ask for the training. I've spent most of my career being a bit anti-cert after meeting CCNPs and even CCIEs who don't have a clue what they're doing, and admittedly multiple people from GSS who are 'VCIX' in their signatures but I have had to suffer through haha. But I would like to aim for a good VMware Cert or three.
You can bypass the course requirement if you're a CCNA or above?

The course cost is a pain, I admit. I paid out a few years ago when I was contracting, even with 50% discount it was north of £1500 for the Install, Configure and Manage course. I'd been deploying VMware environments for 10 years by this point so I literally learned nothing. Thankfully as an employee all courses are free to me, and we have a lot of on demand ones internally we can do.

Soldato

My current employer wants me to get clued up on VMware. So I'm going to see if they will pay for the course and I pay for the exams. As it be a nice cert to get at some point.

Soldato
My current employer wants me to get clued up on VMware. So I'm going to see if they will pay for the course and I pay for the exams. As it be a nice cert to get at some point.

I agree with Chris, the HOL are great - but if you can get the course then you're one step towards being able to get on the proper VMware Cert ladder, as Chris also mentioned if you have a CCNA you can take the VCP-NX without the pre-req course, but a lot of people don't have NSX experience as well as Cisco to be able to use that. Enjoy your VMware journey at work, nowhere better to learn than production haha.

Soldato
I agree with Chris, the HOL are great - but if you can get the course then you're one step towards being able to get on the proper VMware Cert ladder, as Chris also mentioned if you have a CCNA you can take the VCP-NX without the pre-req course, but a lot of people don't have NSX experience as well as Cisco to be able to use that. Enjoy your VMware journey at work, nowhere better to learn than production haha.

Yeah, i don't have any Cisco certs, only MCSA and MCSE. So taking the course will be my only choice.

Soldato
OP
You know when you're a contractor and you do a role because it pays you, but you're really way over qualified for it and your manager is a useless idiot? Yea. Work is annoying right now but it's still paying so I need to STFU and show up and deliver and go home.

In other news... SKYNET Cheezus is LEARNING! We trained the model on 10 cheeses. Why 10? Because that took 8000 images scraped from the interwebs. I figured we'd have to do the rest on the fly. This cheese below, Mont D'or, wasn't one of those cheeses. Yet, we like it so have probably taken about 30 pics of it, which has led to the beautiful moment where your app can recognise a cheese it didn't used to know.

Sadly, this has made my evening.

Soldato
OP
Man Apple are killing me here.

Positive: New release is on Android and live. Not a beta anymore so need to download the new version. Accounts all still the same but you can't simply update the old app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.cheezusapp.cheezus

But it's live. Real release. Added fix for uploading from gallery, not just a camera pic, added a small ad banner on home page, and the drink with pairing list. Now to add a lot more pairings... need to do a lot on that side.

Apple though rejected the app as it requires you to login/ create an account and they say you should be able to use the app without an account and only make people get an account if they want to interact in a way that requires one; such as, favouriting a cheese etc. The problem is that most of our features make things shown for users based on where they are based, or based on cheese preferences, so it's key to be logged in. All coming features are the same too. We have badges coming to profiles etc. and none of it will work. I've appealed to Apple and now I have to wait for their response. Hopefully it will be OK, I don't fancy having the whole user journey rewritten for iOS as it would make it disjointed too.

In the meantime I've kicked off a bit of work on redesigning the admin panel where all the information is for the app.

This is what it looks like now:

fqn1rl2.jpg

and this is how I would like it...

EeZ872v.mp4

So lets get cracking on these things while I wait for Apple ****!

Last edited:
Associate
Been at the new job for a week and a half now and I'm really not enjoying it. Gone from a place where there's lots of interaction with a large variety of people who I have common interests with to not much interaction and not much in common with workmates. Really struggling, feel bored, unmotivated and frustrated as I don't think I've quite signed up for what I was led to believe the job was. Gone from feeling chirpy and happy all the time to down.

Back
Top Bottom