**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
I'm on the unlimited max 5G contract with Vodafone. Paying £14 pm after cashback, best network I've used in a long time, although I've not had to deal with customer services. I can get 450mb/s on a 4g phone (speedtest). Also their roaming package is very good too.

If course it depends on location. Just dont go for the capped tariffs
Can't disagree. They're a decent network overall. Just the capped tarrifs are a joke

Associate
I think i'm going to sign up for one of those S20 5G deals. Any ideas whether O2 or Voda is overall consistently better as a network? I get zero receiption with EE and Three in my house and 3-4 bars with O2 or Voda (testing both PAYG sims tonight). On the O2 sim I'm hitting 90mbps. Voda im getting about 30-40mpbs and EE/Three less than 5mbps due to reception im sure. But before I place order for O2/Voda just curious which is the overall better network? (I know Voda CS is garbage, but so is O2 in my experience)

Soldato
I think i'm going to sign up for one of those S20 5G deals. Any ideas whether O2 or Voda is overall consistently better as a network? I get zero receiption with EE and Three in my house and 3-4 bars with O2 or Voda (testing both PAYG sims tonight). On the O2 sim I'm hitting 90mbps. Voda im getting about 30-40mpbs and EE/Three less than 5mbps due to reception im sure. But before I place order for O2/Voda just curious which is the overall better network? (I know Voda CS is garbage, but so is O2 in my experience)
I'm in London and on EE have much better coverage than my girlfriend who is on O2

Associate
I'm in London and on EE have much better coverage than my girlfriend who is on O2

I'm surprised by that tbh - I've had EE for the last 5 years and I've found the reception is iffy at best whereas O2 always seems to have full bars wherever i go in London. We had EE on my previous employer's business phones and they were swapped to Voda because lots of people complained about the lack of signal. When we switched to Voda, always had full signal and very quick data.

My personal experience with EE has been fast speeds when you have a good signal, but getting a good signal is a challenge. I'm just sick of using EE wifi calling or dropping to 3g to use the wifi booster just to be able to make a call in my home. I honestly dont care about download speeds, I would much prefer rock solid, stable connections everywhere i am and sacrifice 75% of download speed.

Man of Honour
I honestly don't know why people bother with Vodafone, their main market is businesses really and they don't really care about consumers.

We're just moving our business phones away from them as they don't really care about small business either.

We have 10 phones roughly with them and travel massses so spend a lot relative to the number of handsets and they have been totally indifferent to us.

Moving to O2 next week.

Have the s20 ultra on order.

Associate
Another review basically saying the Ultra is not worth it
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/02/28/galaxy-s20-ultra-review/

Should you buy it?
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra

7/10

Probably not. Samsung keeps pushing the price of its phones into the stratosphere, and the S20 Ultra reaches new heights at $1,400. That pile of cash does get you some awesome features like the best, smoothest OLED available right now and 5G support on all carriers. The phone's build quality is also solid, but I do wish Samsung would try to innovate with materials a bit more.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/02/28/galaxy-s20-ultra-review/?amp#click=https://t.co/XhEXTKznaB
Most of the things that make the S20 Ultra good are available on the cheaper versions. The camera is the main differentiator, and it doesn't feel like it belongs on a $1,400 phone. Despite the 108MP primary sensor, most photos look the same as any other high-end Samsung phone from the last few years, and there are some aggravating focus issues. Samsung says it will roll out an update to improve the camera soon, but aren't we always promised updates to improve the camera? To top it off, the Galaxy S20 Ultra is obscenely large, and I don't like carrying a slab of slippery glass that barely fits in my pocket. With a case, this phone is over half a pound, making it uncomfortable to use for long stretches

The Galaxy S20 and S20+ have very similar specs, and they're neither as expensive nor as oversized as the S20 Ultra. I don't think the S20 Ultra is good enough to justify the upgrade.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/02/28/galaxy-s20-ultra-review/?amp#click=https://t.co/XhEXTKznaB

Associate
We're just moving our business phones away from them as they don't really care about small business either.

We have 10 phones roughly with them and travel massses so spend a lot relative to the number of handsets and they have been totally indifferent to us.

Moving to O2 next week.

Have the s20 ultra on order.

May I ask what you thought of Vodafone outside of their CS? Call quality is supposed to be much better than O2 while signal strength is roughly the same as they both use the same frequencies

Soldato
May I ask what you thought of Vodafone outside of their CS? Call quality is supposed to be much better than O2 while signal strength is roughly the same as they both use the same frequencies

Where are you? I find VF to be hot garbage a lot of the time.. Catching a train in anything like rush hour London means I have a phantom signal, I can see it but I can't do anything with it. Driving means frequent drop outs etc etc.

Nothing is foolproof mind, it's a trick for getting what works for you.. for some genius reason my office literally only has Vodafone so I'm kinda stuck.

Although to be fair at home it works great, I've suddenly started getting upwards of 150mb on 4g+ so I've stopped using my home wifi lol.

Associate
Looks like the S20 Ultra suffers partially from the same issue the Lumia 950 XL and Lumia 1020, where due to the larger camera, the focusing takes longer and has a few more issues locking on. Hope that new software fixes this problem.

Associate
Looks like the S20 Ultra suffers partially from the same issue the Lumia 950 XL and Lumia 1020, where due to the larger camera, the focusing takes longer and has a few more issues locking on. Hope that new software fixes this problem.
The thing is the newer reviews that are coming out are saying that there is a camera update that "fixes a number of issues" but obviously they do not state which ones its going to fix, i am sure most if not all of the camera issues will be fixed including the 120hz refresh rate at full res.

Associate
Man of Honour

to be fair their network is good. Didn't have any issues from that point of view. Slightly patchy. have been with them for years.

Soldato
To be fair if the phone was a lot cheaper reviewers would be all over it.

That's a fairly obvious conclusion - a £600 phone gets away with stuff that a £1200 doesn't and shouldn't get away with.

I'm glad that every mention of the S20 Ultra comes with the caveat of "it's expensive" and I'm also glad in a way that it's getting marked down because of it.

I think it's refreshing that review sites are happy to go against the mighty Samsung and call them out for hiking the price. I only hope those same sites give Apple the treatment when the 12 Pro arrives with another 100-150 on the price over the 11 Pro because lol 5g.

Associate
A score of 4.0 from GSMArena and they're one of the better review sites in my opinion.

Whilst it's my first foray into Android, I must agree some of the reviews do raise a few eyebrows on what they sound a "negative" over.

"It's basic black. I don't like it." Oh really? So it's not got anything to do the the tech, its difficulties (too much slippery glass and its fairly heavy for the smaller hands people means it'll likely drop more). But your own opinion that I should now take as my own? Please(!).

But I'm not going to knock everything that I've read. But I will highlight silliness like the one I quoted, just pointless docking/negative for the sake of it. Totally unprofessional.

Soldato
But I'm not going to knock everything that I've read. But I will highlight silliness like the one I quoted, just pointless docking/negative for the sake of it. Totally unprofessional.

Everyone has different requirements but I generally sit with my phone resting on the little finger of my right hand. My phone is a Note 10+ and it's already fairly heavy so I like to know the weight of a phone. Reviewers who comment on the overall and top heavy nature of the S20 Ultra are helping me out.

I'm also one of those people who, if I spend a grand or more on a phone, want others to know that I've done so. I like nice things and everyone has something that draws them to a model of phone. For others it's knowing they got a bargain £300 Chinese phone. If I spend 1200 quid on a phone, I want the manufacturer to put in the effort. The S20 Ultra grey back in particular is really poor and again I want that highlighted in reviews. It might not bother everyone, but it should be mentioned.

Edit - to be clear, I will not be buying an S20 Ultra, but the points I've made are still relevant.

Back
Top Bottom