Star Trek: Picard

Caporegime
Its 50% star trek 50% Generic Action, Romance, American Soap opera level Drama.

God damn Elrond Romulan Is so awful i want to believe its by design but that poor actors career! Help him.

It is a sign of the times.

Its as Marmite as when Stargate went from Atlantis/SG1 to SGU....
They might look at this first series of Picard and sigh, knowing they got a 2nd.

Soldato
Its 50% star trek 50% Generic Action, Romance, American Soap opera level Drama.

God damn Elrond Romulan Is so awful i want to believe its by design but that poor actors career! Help him.

It is a sign of the times.

Its as Marmite as when Stargate went from Atlantis/SG1 to SGU....
They might look at this first series of Picard and sigh, knowing they got a 2nd.

SGU was really well made and acted. The characters and stories were good, and I expect a lot was set up for future stories that never happened. It was structured in a way that made sense and you could buy into what was a consistent fictional universe. Sure, some of the hardcore fans hated the new setting, but I liked it a lot and I thought it was better than another remix of the same recipe with different ingredients (as Atlantis was to SG1, though I love both series).

The quality of storytelling, dialogue and characters was vastly, vastly higher than what we've seen on STD and Picard. Maybe some people didn't like it, but there was no doubt it was high quality TV.

Caporegime
Elrond wielding essentially a Katana is somehow gonna hold back Romulas with Distuptors. Not sure how that works if he's face to face with a bit of distance between them. I'm guessing Romulans now have Star Wars Storm Trooper accuracy.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Elrond wielding essentially a Katana is somehow gonna hold back Romulas with Distuptors. Not sure how that works if he's face to face with a bit of distance between them. I'm guessing Romulans now have Star Wars Storm Trooper accuracy.

Perfectly acceptable in the world of Kurtzman Trek :o

DS9-era Klingons say hi ;)

All sorts of blade weapon combat going on in an era of rayguns...

Soldato
Similar to Mandalorian, it's quite good but not as great as it felt initially in retrospect. However while watching it, it felt excellent as the recent movies were so bad.

Yeah, contrary to Cat-The-Fifth, I think we'll be looking back and realise these shows were thought better than they are just because we all got caught up in the hype of seeing Patrick Stewart and Co (even if mostly as cameos) come back and remind us of the Trek glory days. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement, nostalgia, and shiny-shiny, only to think about how much just doesn't make any sense, or how much your mind wandered because it wasn't engaging, or how many times you get pulled out of immersion because of clunky, cringy dialogue.

As the Critical Drinker says about the Mandalorian, "it's better than nothing". I'm not sure that's even damning with faint praise. For me, I'm moving towards Picard being a bit of a missed opportunity, even if not as wide of the mark as the terrible STD.

Caporegime
The guy is a member of a religious order, I don't think his wielding a sword is applicable to Romulans in general.

The question still stands, in close quarters a sword may be useful, not gonna be much use 15-20 feet away. Unless he has a (to this point) hidden side arm.

Soldato
SGU was really well made and acted. The characters and stories were good, and I expect a lot was set up for future stories that never happened. It was structured in a way that made sense and you could buy into what was a consistent fictional universe. Sure, some of the hardcore fans hated the new setting, but I liked it a lot and I thought it was better than another remix of the same recipe with different ingredients (as Atlantis was to SG1, though I love both series).

The quality of storytelling, dialogue and characters was vastly, vastly higher than what we've seen on STD and Picard. Maybe some people didn't like it, but there was no doubt it was high quality TV.

Sgu sucked big time. Boring, depressing, back stabbing people, wanted them all to die. Only Eli was decent.

Hope they never got home and went into a black hole, along with all film stock and dvd copies of the series

Back
Top Bottom