The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Missed the Sunday morning 3R 100km ride I wanted to do but probably for the best. I took it easy all week as had a touch of fluey illness that just wasn't shifting so was stacking up on sleep/rest in the hope not to get any worse. With wet & windy commutes I know I was risking it if I also had several hours of midweek damp garage air in me... Symptoms the same sunday but had cleared the head cold which had mostly left me with some phlegm causing a bit of an annoying cough I thought sod it. I wanted to keep some Fitness after what I'd gained doing the TdZ. If I got ill again, at least I'd lose fitness from that, not from the fear of it.

Dived into a 'UKZwifters 100km Sportive'. Absolute joke of a course for Doubledraft and a 'friendly group sportive' with only a few riders. Not the first time I've tried one of these rides and left disappointed on how they're ridde. Much like any UK Sportive then! 6-7 times up the Volcano climb just meant huge gaps between groups, constant splits and stringing out of any riders actually riding well together. Chatting a bit, good effort up the first time to retain a good group but knew I couldn't repeat it many times if the pace didn't ease. Group split soon after the descent so just rode the next lap as recovery before heading to a Tour of Innsbruck ride which I knew would be more fun as far more riders (although probably more of the same type of riders!).

Tour of Innsbruck // Stage 3. First half of this was awesome fun. Over 1000 riders, I settled into a good start but not too brutal after the previous riding. Settled into around 380th place. Legsnapper came and I felt good so put some wattage down to test the legs. They where really firing so I continued chasing a wheel. Really shouldn't have! Made up over 100 places, somewhere around 240th... Settled in recovering and telling myself I was silly. Dropped 20 places until a good group to surf wheels then Legsnapper came again. Paced it more this time, but still rode it too hard! Made up over 30 places. I was nearing the top 200 at this point but many of these groups where small and rolling 4+ turns so resting at much below 2.8w/kg was impossible, I really wasn't recovering! Legsnapper again, paced it much better and lost around 15 places this time. Closer to 300th but I kept easing to recover for the KOM. My numbers for Legsnapper on screen avg around 5w/kg first time, 4.5 second, 4.0 third. Really enjoyed it and felt I could continue those efforts a bit longer... But they did come back to bite me when the KOM came along...

KOM was brutal, I initially paced it well but found myself starting to blow up and really dropping cadence. Settled down and dropped a bunch of places to try and find some slower groups to pace with. Really struggled to find any, any time I settled into a rhythum I'd find myself slowly blowing up and having to ease again. In the end I got caught and dropped so many times (even by a couple of friends who'd started the climb 70 & 100 places behind me). I did have a bit of power left at the finish but nothing I could sustain for long, or anything I could use to increase my later efforts. Utterly destroyed. 4 minutes down on my PR.

Enjoyed it but really don't think I want to complete the rest of the Inns Tour (if there's catchup days) as there's only so much I can stick of that KOM. It hurts me. Half an hour of hell! You get the jersey from just completing a stage anyway, so why bother! ;)

Yippee for Windows, upgraded my laptop to latest win 10 and have lost direct Bluetooth connection. No issue prior to upgrade and can't find a definite fix. So ordered an ant stick!
Weird, no updated drivers for BT?

To be fair I don't tend to use BT anymore, too many issues with it and I've found ANT+ stable and far more reliable since changing dongle.

What is the best/easiest way to overlay two fit files of a recording to compare the power data overlay?

I imagine it’s a little fiddly to get the start points right bang on with each other & otherwise the whole lot will be slightly out.
I'd have said the DCR one as I wasn't aware of the ZP one. Although I have delved into a 'hole' within ZP Race results where I found riders with more than 1 PWM recording I could overlay against their 'live' recording. Here's some from a ride of mine from the weekend -

u30nDtg.jpg

Tour of Sufferlandria 2020... finished!
Huge kudos, thats quite a week! :o

There is a bug on the Titans Grove descent after the KOM.
Either a bug, or a particular scenario due to being a light rider? Something to do with the 'game' mechanics which really dump your speed due to low weight, other riders carring more weight are not compromised the same?

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird, no updated drivers for BT?

To be fair I don't tend to use BT anymore, too many issues with it and I've found ANT+ stable and far more reliable since changing dongle.

Nope, its the newer driver causing the problem reading online, ohwell Ant+ stick ordered, think this will be my 3rd or 4th... Got to stop losing them.

Soldato
Nope, its the newer driver causing the problem reading online, ohwell Ant+ stick ordered, think this will be my 3rd or 4th... Got to stop losing them.
Annoying. BTLE framework version being old or different versions bundled within the driver or something silly. Would be good if you could install as a windows optional component and get from WU rather than relying on 3rd parties bundling it in their software (and getting the wrong one). Or as something separate you could check and install/update like dot.net or similar. Bit like @Berger found similar with his Rotor inpower.

You sold one to me in Jan/Feb 2015 if that's any help. You didn't lose that one! :D ;)

The trick is to attach them to something bigger you won’t lose, like a computer. :D

(helpful)
Pretty much what I did with the sunnto moviestick @SoliD sold me. Left it plugged into a USB port of the laptop I use for Zwift. Couple of years of being knocked (in & out of a laptop sleeve) and the outside plastic cover came off, after that the signal seemed to drop more so I replaced it.

Really happy with the Tacx standalone USB dongle. It's robust, sturdy and actually has some weight to it. Feels like it'll survive and is not as cheap and plasticy as it looks. Equally, is a crazy expense for a BT/ANT+ dongle... Part of me wishes the cable was braided/shielded to justify some of that cost but it's not and quite long, your basic/standard USB cable... Easy to snag on a pedal (only done that once and thankfully didn't damage it!)

Soldato
Ran comparison tonight using the zwiftpower overlay between Neo and Quarq.

It was just a recovery ride/TT bar adjustment, averaging 200w.

All through 1 minute to 60 minute power all sitting with the Neo about 5% lower than the Quarq.

I only had one time I did stand up so the sample size for <1 minute power isn’t very high, but the error margin was smaller (2%).

I’ll do a higher powered effort (maybe a Zwift race) or a TT effort. And compare, as well as some shorter efforts/recovery and see how the difference changes if at all.

My Quarq slope has been slightly adjusted, factory was 4.65 and it is now 4.62.

Not sure if this makes it read higher or lower.

The Quarq support has been very good, but I’ll do some more testing before getting back in touch with them with more data.

Last edited:
Soldato
WTF is the 'Zwift Community Super Critical Race Series' when it's at home. Not heard of that one before. Link the ZP or activity? Can't find you easily on ZP lol

EDIT: Oh it's the 3R 'SuperCRIT' series.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=346948

Define 'fun'!? Your lightweight making you punchy enough on that circuit and winning sprints? Although that looks before the finish. 10w/kg 15s from you on ZP Zwiftlols. :D

Soldato
WTF is the 'Zwift Community Super Critical Race Series' when it's at home. Not heard of that one before. Link the ZP or activity? Can't find you easily on ZP lol

EDIT: Oh it's the 3R 'SuperCRIT' series.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=346948

Define 'fun'!? Your lightweight making you punchy enough on that circuit and winning sprints? Although that looks before the finish. 10w/kg 15s from you on ZP Zwiftlols. :D

I was just about to say it is a 3R race ya bam, you ride for 3R! :p It has taken on the 1940GMT time slot from the ultimate racing league they done up until a few weeks ago.

If you get a chance to watch the video above it is worth it. That sprint above is when I attacked with 2.2 to go so that my team mate could come over top so it wasn't me trying to win but trying to get Mike to win who had better legs than me. It didn't work out but Brett got 2nd anyways as he is insanely strong. He's top 10 or 15 in the world at the minute.

I've actually won a couple of sprints in races recently. As ridiculous as it is! Anyone getting beat by me in a "sprint" should hang their head in shame! Think the most I ever done is like a 12.3w/kg 15s on Zwift.

Soldato
Did a B grade crit style race, super rolling, round the rollers at the end of the Watopia flat, down the dirt to the volcano then up into the bottom
volcano and back round. Almost no rest time.

I was riding the P3 trying to get used to it again. I had intended to ride the aero bars but couldn’t get enough air in to keep the power up with the fluctuations on the rollers and uphills so I had to ride the bar ends. Was struggling with gearing a touch, in between two gears when I had it in the big ring on the front.

Got to the finish in the front group, three guys jumped away, I was totally cooked so hung in and happy to roll over as the last man. Compared to the road bike, the power drop is noticable.

Soldato
Now I'm getting the hang of this zwift malarky, understanding what all the different graphics mean ie on the drops you're digging into the wind, sat up and you're drafting, just started the everesting challenge too now I know how to do all the bits and had a monster session doing 1 and a bit efforts up the Alpe last night. Legs are fairly shot today, first time they've felt this rubbish in ages! might try another race tomorrow.

Soldato
Now I'm getting the hang of this zwift malarky, understanding what all the different graphics mean ie on the drops you're digging into the wind, sat up and you're drafting, just started the everesting challenge too now I know how to do all the bits and had a monster session doing 1 and a bit efforts up the Alpe last night. Legs are fairly shot today, first time they've felt this rubbish in ages! might try another race tomorrow.

My usual one on a Saturday is OH CRIT! - https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=349179
15:15 tomorrow if you fancy it?

Soldato
May do, think I've got to help my missus get a sub21 parkrun first thing, although that time is dead in the middle of Omloop! :D

Oh bloody hell good point.
You've caused me a drama. how on earth am I going to wangle getting to watch Omloop, KBK plus do some training Sat/Sun as well. She's going to hit the roof this weekend.

Soldato
Oh bloody hell good point.
You've caused me a drama. how on earth am I going to wangle getting to watch Omloop, KBK plus do some training Sat/Sun as well. She's going to hit the roof this weekend.

Watch whilst racing is my next best thinking, but then unlikely to concentrate on either.

Soldato

Sore legs, just think of the gainzzzz.

Soldato
Very sore legs, managed to get my new ant+ receiver working ok after some sticky watts on it's first use the other day, usb extender seemed to solve that! Bit of sweet spot work today 2x20mins at 300W up the Alpe trying to earn that Tron bike, not bad after parkrun first thing!

Soldato
I’m taking the plunge and swapping Zwift for TR. nothing wrong with Zwift but I found I was messing around on it more than really training. I see the huge benefit for those who need motivating to get on the turbo or who enjoy / need the social aspect but I think I need the accountability of following a detailed plan. Will see how I do!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I am only using ZWIFT as Training Peaks uploads my 80/20 Tri program to Zwift, Is it really that social so to speak with people on Discord or something ?

Back
Top Bottom