Oh dear, I knew this would happen!

Associate
OP
OK, so:

Rang Overclockers and spoke with tech support.
First thing was to try just one stick of RAM moved to each of the 4 slots - no improvement
next suggestion remove CMOS battery for 15 minutes (I left mine for best part of an hour) = no improvement
next was to remove cooler, remove chip check for bent pins etc, then connect PWR supply cooler fan/s and one stick of RAM assembled outside of case on box or in my case rectangle of plywood.
Chip seemed fine regarding bent pins

"Start it up touching flat-tip screwdriver on the two PWR pins (where front panel connector PWR leads usually go)." - Oh, they didn't tell me that bit

"Did you get any beep codes? -" No, nothing, just a brief flash of LED's by the RAM and the chipset

"Your PSU is similar to mine. Yours has RGB. Are the cables pressed firmly home on the PSU? They should light up. Are they in the right sockets? -" Well, they certainly didn't light up at any stage of the proceedings

So, after trying everything you guys and the tech support suggested, OCUK tech support have told me to RMA the Mobo, Chip and PSU. They are now somewhere in Daventry's Homebase waiting for DPD to collect them :(

Associate
Is always disappointing when this sort of thing happens, unfortunately there's always a chance that a component is DOA. On a positive note in my experience OCUK customer service has always been very helpful. I had to RMA a GPU on a couple days before xmas and was very impressed with how quickly they processed everything despite the holiday

Associate
OP
Thanks McNumpty and thanks to you all for taking the time to try and help, I really do appreciate it and yes, I’ll report back when OCUK have returned or replaced my parts.

All the best
Bob

Associate
OP
Well, that’s the end of the first week and I’ve heard nothing from Overclockers. I must say that being as the components were less than 2 days old and I followed the advice of their tech support which proved unsuccessful before sending them back, I’m very disappointed in the response or lack of it from OCUK. As this issue was discovered 2 days after delivery, I would have hoped they would have sent replacement parts straight away.

Soldato
Or the old fashioned way
Give them a phone
In a competitive market customer support is everything
Ocuk obviously know that
People vote with their feet and word of
Mouth is best free advertising there is
So unlikely they wouldn't keep
You informed deliberately
Emails are great but not 100% reliable
Due to spam filters etc
So do the old fashioned thing
And speak to them :)

Associate
OP
I posted here because I said I would keep those chaps who tried to help me informed. Strange I didn’t see your name when folks were trying to help, yet you post here now.

Hi McNumpty, yes buddy, I did check my spam folder but no, nothing I’m afraid. I was rather hoping for a parcel instead of an email but hey ho!

Associate
OP
I had a whinge to OCUK today and initially after a week of having the parts, the only thing tested was the Power supply. Apparently this proved to be working correctly. Neither the Motherboard or CPU had been tested at the time BUT by the end of the day I had 4 separate emails. One stating the power supply was being returned with “no fault found” Another stating the CPU was being returned to me with “no fault found”. The email regarding the motherboard just said one was being sent out to me with a new order number “subject to stock availability” and the last email said it had all been shipped and should be with me tomorrow.

So, although no clear statement that the motherboard was DOA it would seem from those emails that it was in fact the faulty part. I just hope everything goes to plan when I start the build process again. I guess it’s Watch this space.

All the best
Bob

Soldato
Glad to hear new parts are on way. Gigabyte rep can assist with RMA or issues taking so long but since it was under 14 days OCUK have to swap with a new board . If they happen to be out of stock if the mobo then some pushing for rep to stand in might of been required . Looks bad on them double time is a Product is DOA then a reseller takes long for RMA etc .

Looking forward to seeing the build

Associate
OP
High Orbitalwalsh ;)

Yes, not the best service from OCUK but since my whinge on their customer service page things have started moving and my parts should be here this afternoon. Then may the Lord help you lot when I start the rebuild for the 4th time LOL.

Associate
OP
I don’t flaming believe this. My parts arrived a few moments ago and on opening the PSU box to start getting ready for the rebuild, there was NO power cable in the box or lead wallet.

Soldato
I don’t flaming believe this. My parts arrived a few moments ago and on opening the PSU box to start getting ready for the rebuild, there was NO power cable in the box or lead wallet.

You're not having much luck:(
Nothing in the house you can pinch one from temporarily?

kitchen kettle :)

sorry, lead wallet- this means you have no cables at all , 24 pin etc ? Think normally with RMA they tell you only to send the Unit back and not the cables

Associate
OP
Hi guys, no the lead wallet was in there with (I hope) all the other leads, just no kettle lead. I have stolen one from my ultrasound cleaner for now.

BUT......... I am back at square one, nothing happens at all. Except a brief flash of LED’s by the RAM and chipset. :rolleyes:

I have assembled the components outside the case, on a wooden table with a cardboard layer between the MB and table.

1). Insert CPU ensuring the correct orientation
2). Insert the RAM in bays A2 & B2
3). Insert the SSD PCIE into slot MvM (the short one)
4). Clean CPU and re apply the arctic silver 5
5). Install the cooler and attach the fan and cable
6). Connect the ATX 24pin to the MB
7). Attach the CPU 2x4 power lead to the MB
Then connect those leads to the respective sockets on the PSU
8). Plug USB keyboard into rear I/O USB socket
9). Plug USB mouse into rear I/O USB socket
10). Plug HDMI into rear I/O HDMI socket and connect to TV
11). Ensure PSU is switched off
12). Plug kettle lead into wall socket
13). Switch PSU on
14). Watch as the tiny LED’s flash with no further response.

I am at a complete loss as this is exactly what was happening with the faulty Motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom