Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I started my switch from SO Energy to Octopus. Identical pricing, just that Octopus has the GO tarrif for electric cars.

They emailed my yesterday saying that SO Energy has blocked the gas move. I've emailed them, but any ideas as to why? anyone had something similar.

Associate
I've just resigned with EDF, was on 12 months but now signed up on a 24 month deal. Only £15 per product for exit fee.

Electric is 13.95p and Gas 2.396p, standing charge is about 25p per day but I can live with that as I have a high usage house ! :rolleyes:

Caporegime
uSwitch is telling me I can save £900 p.a. by moving to a company called Orbit Energy.

Their online reviews aren't great but I'm not sure what risk there is to me vs. the larger providers, when I will just pay them money each month for gas and electricity and will hardly if ever need to contact them for anything.

Do people go for these small new start ups? Is race to the bottom a reasonable tactic for energy? Has anyone used Orbit Energy?

I guess the issue is that if something does go wrong it will be more painful to resolve.

Thanks!

Soldato
I use pure planet who are a small start up. I have no problems , i pay them each month and they give me gas and electric for cheaper than british gas.

You can only contact via an app but i never need to contact them so it's fine.

Caporegime
I've just signed up with Orbit Energy. It seems that my monthly direct debit will go from £264 per month to £143 per month.

If true, I've been getting fleeced for 12 months and should have checked sooner as I've just had a £1,200 net pay rise!

Now to tackle Virgin Media at £68 per month...

Associate
I switched to Octopus when they were starting up, had no issues. I now use Outfoxthemarket who are also a very small energy company and no issues. I'm sure if I had issues they'd be hard to contact etc, but having had issues with npower before they were horrible anyway and resorted to Ombudsman, so worst case there'll be no difference.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I use a little company called outfoxthemarket and previously used another small one. Their prices are so much lower that I have to wonder how the big names have any customers at all!

the cheapest now in my area appears to be a company called green.energy, they are around 10.6p/kWh which is fantastic.

Caporegime
I switched to Octopus when they were starting up, had no issues. I now use Outfoxthemarket who are also a very small energy company and no issues. I'm sure if I had issues they'd be hard to contact etc, but having had issues with npower before they were horrible anyway and resorted to Ombudsman, so worst case there'll be no difference.
That's a good point. It's not like the big providers are flawless.

Only downside I can see is that I'll need to provide meter readings manually from now on. Small price to pay.

Caporegime
I use a little company called outfoxthemarket and previously used another small one. Their prices are so much lower that I have to wonder how the big names have any customers at all!

the cheapest now in my area appears to be a company called green.energy, they are around 10.6p/kWh which is fantastic.

Orbit Energy Vari-Save Extra tariff as follows:

Elec
Standing charge: 21.9880 p/day
Unit rate: 10.438 p/kWh

Gas
Standing charge: 25.4110 p/day
Unit rate: 2.010 p/kWh

This is until August 2020 so I'm assuming they'll increase the prices at that point, but if they do then presumably I'll be able to switch again. I hope.

Soldato
I used pure planet for about 18 months and have just switched to Gulf energy because they're cheaper. Had a bit of a problem at the start as someone at British gas made a typo and put my gas meter reading as 881 not 81 so wanted to charge £400 or so rather than £40. Was sorted very quickly and never had a problem since.

Soldato
Well yeah I think most people understand that the gas and current still all flows through the same pipes and conductors owned by the same distribution network owners.

Also in all my time I don't think I've ever needed to pick up the phone to call an energy company with a problem, as if you're going to get better customer service from any of the big 6.

Soldato

Elec

This is until August 2020 so I'm assuming they'll increase the prices at that point, but if they do then presumably I'll be able to switch again. I hope.

That does seem cheap for a unit rate, they must have low overheads lol!

I've swapped yearly between lots of the small providers and half the time never even had contact with a person, all done automatically online. The only issue with the small providers is they can go bust, as a spate did recently, but that's just going to cause some inconvenience while you're getting the account sorted and transferred to another company, the gas and elec will still flow.

Associate

Elec

Gas
Standing charge: 25.4110 p/day
Unit rate: 2.010 p/kWh

I did the same a few days ago. Gas is 30% cheaper than pure planet and electric is 10p vs 12p. A substantial saving.

It didn't fill me with confidence that the gas price quoted when I joined was 1.96p and then 2.01p when I got the confirmation email. But given there's no tie in, I can always move again at any time.

Caporegime
uSwitch is telling me I can save £900 p.a. by moving to a company called Orbit Energy.

Their online reviews aren't great but I'm not sure what risk there is to me vs. the larger providers, when I will just pay them money each month for gas and electricity and will hardly if ever need to contact them for anything.

The same gas and electric will come down your pipe/wire regardless so it makes very little difference, and the rules give a boost to the little guys which makes them more competitive.

I guess the issue is that if something does go wrong it will be more painful to resolve.

The only part of it they solve is your bills. If you pay fixed each month you can lose money if they go bust, and it can be a problem if there's other issues or you switch away later/move house. But there's always the Direct Debit Guarantee and the Ombudsman to fall back on, so you're unlikely to lose out in the end.

Back
Top Bottom