F1 Testing 2020: Week 2 Barcelona (26th - 28th)

Soldato
Williams ground to a halt with another failure. Initially looked like a gearbox failure (and might still be) after Latifi bounced over the kerbs at the chicane on the previous lap, but cement dust going down on the tarmac suggests hydraulics or PU instead.

The way the PU shut down without him touching any buttons makes it look more like another Mercedes PU failure. Similar brief puff of smoke as last week's failure too.

Soldato
Ocon reckons the pecking order is about the same with a distinct top three with the usual suspects all behind still. Racing Point "look strong at the moment", which is hardly surprising with their W10, but according to Ocon they aren't ahead of Red Bull or Ferrari. Williams look closer, so the midfield may be even closer than last year!

After what looks like a PU issue this morning (meaning Hamilton just had his first laps half an hour ago, so presumably a PU change) they've again had an issue and stopped on track. Car just appeared to shut down without any smoke or anything, so probably not the same as previous issues.

Clearly Mercedes aren't as bullet proof as usual, but it's better it happens during testing than during the season proper.

Man of Honour
Ferrari fastest, but still doesn't look good.

Unless they have fuel onboard and the engine on low they are not looking quick on the straights and the corners aren't making up enough for them.

Hamilton's engine cut-out. Not many laps for him today.

Ocon reckons the pecking order is about the same with a distinct top three with the usual suspects all behind still. Racing Point "look strong at the moment", which is hardly surprising with their W10, but according to Ocon they aren't ahead of Red Bull or Ferrari. Williams look closer, so the midfield may be even closer than last year!

After what looks like a PU issue this morning (meaning Hamilton just had his first laps half an hour ago, so presumably a PU change) they've again had an issue and stopped on track. Car just appeared to shut down without any smoke or anything, so probably not the same as previous issues.

Clearly Mercedes aren't as bullet proof as usual, but it's better it happens during testing than during the season proper.

None of the engines look bulletproof this year, I suspect they are on the absolute edge of reliability this year with Ferrari pushing everyone last year. I'd love to see Racing Point in the mix at the top.

Caporegime
I've noticed last week and so far this week a great many teams attempting to sandbag. Half of them aren't even using DRS on the main straight!

Soldato
None of the engines look bulletproof this year, I suspect they are on the absolute edge of reliability this year with Ferrari pushing everyone last year. I'd love to see Racing Point in the mix at the top.
I don't think Renault have had any issues, either for themselves or McLaren. Apparently Alan Permane has said Renault are still on the original ICE, MGU-K and MGU-H and intend to be until testing ends tomorrow.

Though I read last week that Renault don't intend to have any major engine upgrades this season as they're concentrating on a concept change for the PU for 2021. How true that is I've no idea as I can't remember where I read it!

I've noticed last week and so far this week a great many teams attempting to sandbag. Half of them aren't even using DRS on the main straight!
Given you can only use DRS during free practice and qualifying (or when following a car in the race obviously) then it makes no sense to run DRS for most of testing, especially long runs.

Soldato

They'd mentioned about team members, engineers and drivers throwing hissy fits in debriefs etc and Claire said that she'd had a headset thrown at her in the past and wouldn't say who. Crofty and the gang got it out of her that it was Rubens and she was panicking and saying "No no no, i can't confirm nor deny". It was quite amusing :p

Associate
One rule for Ferrari another rule for everyone else it would seem

The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit and reached a settlement with the team. The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.
The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels.

Back
Top Bottom