• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Permabanned
'cos of the pro's bro. We all wanna be dem leet skillz0rz

Less blur, For the games mentioned a superior feel, Less input lag with higher hertz seemingly comes less aliasing which seems weird but is true. Your sarcastic comment actually makes you look stupid really. Indeed it was touch and go weither i would log in and correct you on it.

Also @HRL yea it seems 20tflops is enough for current gen Witcher and Farcry seem to have 70avg i was looking to see what the min was can they hold a solid 60fps? That is this gen though thats what 20tflop can do but what about the next gen of games that are due like Cyberpunk? Theres no way it will do 4k 60hz Cyberpunk thats where i still bet they use 2.5k or 3k resolution. Digital foundry will prove it but the average PS5 joe only will see 4k on his PS5 box and think all games will be real 4k. Thats never happened before they did the same thing at 1080p too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you're a "240hz gamer" does it mean you don't play games that you can't run at 240fps?

I personally just prefer to call myself a "gamer" and enjoy anything that has good gameplay without getting too hung up about fps counters.

Soldato
Then how do you justify a £1000 gpu?

Does everyone suddenly demand 4k 120fps?

I don't really understand what route pc gaming will take. Cyberpunk will be amazing on pc, but if its 4k/60 on a next gen console then why even bother with pc?

The gap seems to be closing and either consoles or things like stadia could finally change the pc gaming world in a way people used to claim for years.

You're talking as if this is new territory. Like consoles have never been ahead before. The original Playstation was lightyears ahead of the PC in terms of 3D hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxXGuVL21o

Permabanned
If you're a "240hz gamer" does it mean you don't play games that you can't run at 240fps?

I personally just prefer to call myself a "gamer" and enjoy anything that has good gameplay without getting too hung up about fps counters.

Well i have no console do i so i either need half refresh for controller games thus 120fps or i want the 120 to 240 range for my mouse not to feel garbage and stuttery. Ive been there 120hz is great for controller games and the likes but its not ok for FPS games.

I am fine with the tag of missing games but no i would disagree on that i do not play them i do eventually i just am extremely patient in what i play i play things from 3years ago but i do it at 4k 120hz. You laugh but it is superior because the games are never the same as they would have been had i played them on launch and by the time i buy them the GOTY is a tenner at most sometimes less. The only time i ever miss a game is something like PUBG which my 2080ti only recently allowed me to play around that fps i like. But surprisingly there are actually a lot of good MP games 20tflop can sustain 4k 120hz so i enjoy a lot of those over whatever the recent craze is.

Soldato
OP
Well i have no console do i so i either need half refresh for controller games thus 120fps or i want the 120 to 240 range for my mouse not to feel garbage and stuttery. Ive been there 120hz is great for controller games and the likes but its not ok for FPS games.

I am fine with the tag of missing games but no i would disagree on that i do not play them i do eventually i just am extremely patient in what i play i play things from 3years ago but i do it at 4k 120hz. You laugh but it is superior because the games are never the same as they would have been had i played them on launch and by the time i buy them the GOTY is a tenner at most sometimes less. The only time i ever miss a game is something like PUBG which my 2080ti only recently allowed me to play around that fps i like. But surprisingly there are actually a lot of good MP games 20tflop can sustain 4k 120hz so i enjoy a lot of those over whatever the recent craze is.

Seems a strange mentality considering you mention FPS games. Most of them are centred around multiplayer experiences now which means they get released, people get hyped, playerbase peaks and everyone is having a great time. Then you come along 3 years later and you are left playing with a couple of weirdos who never moved onto something new xD

Soldato
OP
Well said. You seem to be talking a lot of sense lately Hedge. You had an accident recently or something? :p:D

I just think a lot of people "cut their nose off to spite their face" so to speak. Games are meant to be played and enjoyed, once framerate becomes more important than fun then I think something has gone wrong.

Obviously I wouldnt like to play a game at 15fps but 30fps on a good (note the word "good") adventure type game is fine by me. More fps is always smoother, no doubt about it. But I couldnt imagine thinking "wow that game looks amazing, but Ill wait until 2025 in-case I put a framerate counter on and find out that I am only getting 120fps instead of 240"

Soldato
I just think a lot of people "cut their nose off to spite their face" so to speak. Games are meant to be played and enjoyed, once framerate becomes more important than fun then I think something has gone wrong.

Obviously I wouldnt like to play a game at 15fps but 30fps on a good (note the word "good") adventure type game is fine by me. More fps is always smoother, no doubt about it. But I couldnt imagine thinking "wow that game looks amazing, but Ill wait until 2025 in-case I put a framerate counter on and find out that I am only getting 120fps instead of 240"

I once tried BOTW at 60hz in 4k on emulator and the difference was ridiculous compared to switch. But for obvious reasons I played, completed and thoroughly enjoyed on the switch anyway. Same with rdr2, I had it on console but chose to wait for pc release. Which I do not regret one bit as it was an incredible experience at 4k 60hz.

You are quite correct though. A lot of people will spend hours and hours tweaking and adjusting games, resolution, framerate. Or perhaps won’t even play it because it doesn’t perform as expected instead of actually playing and enjoying the games themselves. Just one of the pains when you have been spoiled with the likes of high refresh rate and 4k 60hz.

I for one used to be like that, but now I very much play for the games themselves. There are many console games I’ve played at 30hz which I’ve enjoyed thoroughly. Obviously given the choice would I play on the pc at 4k 60hz or 1440p 165hz, yes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I once tried BOTW at 60hz in 4k on emulator and the difference was ridiculous compared to switch. But for obvious reasons I played, completed and thoroughly enjoyed on the switch anyway. Same with rdr2, I had it on console but chose to wait for pc release. Which I do not regret one bit as it was an incredible experience at 4k 60hz.

You are quite correct though. A lot of people will spend hours and hours tweaking and adjusting games, resolution, framerate. Or perhaps won’t even play it because it doesn’t perform as expected instead of actually playing and enjoying the games themselves. Just one of the pains when you have been spoiled with the likes of high refresh rate and 4k 60hz.

I for one used to be like that, but now I very much play for the games themselves. There are many console games I’ve played at 30hz which I’ve enjoyed thoroughly. Obviously given the choice would I play on the pc at 4k 60hz or 1440p 165hz, yes.

I did exactly the same with Zelda. I had the switch version and I tried the emulated one at 4k too. It looked and played way more smoothly. But the convenience and relaxed nature of playing on the switch meant the emu version was nothing more than a tech demo.

What's frustrating is so called "gamers" will sink 1400 quid on a gpu yet wouldn't spend a quarter of that to actually play some quality games that won't be available on their pc.

I like games therefore I'll buy whatever platforms I need to play them. I play AC:O and division 2 on my pc where they look and play best, then I play Last of Us, God of War and Spiderman on my ps4 Pro where they are perfectly playable and I have a more relaxed experience.

Chances are a lot of people on here spend their time in their bedroom and have a TV / pc side by side. I personally have a PC in one bedroom and a 58inch 4k TV in the living room. So I rarely can be arsed to plug a pc in downstairs.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I have said this before but what is the obsession with a hard 120fps when you now can use VRR?

i couldnt give two monkeys about 120fps gaming being a old fart at 42 but its surprising how many people who are championing the new xbox have fallen for the pr marketing about "up to 120fps", seems much like 4k60 last generation some of the console jockeys really do want to try and talk down the pc mustard race at any chance they get, as well as make the idiotic claim (which iv seen once on here this week) that pc gaming will be dying!

for me the next gen would have to do a solid 4k60 across ALL games for me to get interested in buying either a xbox or ps5, none of this "aiming for" rubbish you either get it locked or stop trying to market it as such with the caveat of up scaling and variable rate refresh. like what they claimed the last gen would do.

Associate
I think it all rests on raytracing now. If PCs are comfortably able to render it 2-3 times quicker than 2080ti this coming gen, yet consoles will likely struggle to do the most basic form of it at a decent res, then PCs will still have that "master race" advantage. Trouble is, not only will the hardware need to be there (which we're relying on nVidia's good will for), but also killer app(s) / game(s) to take advantage of it. I don't believe Cyberpunk will even be that killer game as it's being designed for current gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did exactly the same with Zelda. I had the switch version and I tried the emulated one at 4k too. It looked and played way more smoothly. But the convenience and relaxed nature of playing on the switch meant the emu version was nothing more than a tech demo.

What's frustrating is so called "gamers" will sink 1400 quid on a gpu yet wouldn't spend a quarter of that to actually play some quality games that won't be available on their pc.

I like games therefore I'll buy whatever platforms I need to play them. I play AC:O and division 2 on my pc where they look and play best, then I play Last of Us, God of War and Spiderman on my ps4 Pro where they are perfectly playable and I have a more relaxed experience.

Chances are a lot of people on here spend their time in their bedroom and have a TV / pc side by side. I personally have a PC in one bedroom and a 58inch 4k TV in the living room. So I rarely can be arsed to plug a pc in downstairs.

I have my pc, monitor and 55” tv in the same room :p. I am the same. I have a 50” tv in the living room but a real pain to hook that up to the pc as it’s just too far away. And it’s in a position not best suited to gaming anyway.

There are many games which I prefer to play on the OLED though as it just looks fantastic in comparison. Rdr2 for example looked amazing where it looks a bit dull and flat on my monitor in my opinion.

However the monitor has the edge for all other type of steam game and fps games where the high refresh is much preferred.

Games like cyberpunk for example I’ll be playing at 4k 60hz on the OLED.

Soldato
You're talking as if this is new territory. Like consoles have never been ahead before. The original Playstation was lightyears ahead of the PC in terms of 3D hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxXGuVL21o
And then the PC was lightyears ahead when the voodoo 1 came out in 1997

And Boy did that voodoo card smooth graphics make the playstation blocky software looking graphics look like crap

I still remember how amazed I was when I first saw some games being ran by a voodoo card back in 1997 on my mate PC, at the time I was a big playstation 1 gamer

Last edited:
Soldato
And then the PC was lightyears ahead when the voodoo 1 came out in 1997

It was but then you'd have had to spend a fair bit more cash to get a pentium pc with a 3D accelerator card back then compared to the Playstation. Which I think had actually received a price cut from £300 down to £200 by '97.

To be fair though PC is always going to closer to the bleeding edge 'if' you're happy to spend the money! Being OCUK it's obviously a fairly partisan crowd towards the PC side of things but I think it's noticeable that even on here many appreciate the price/performance/convenience/simplicity offered by modern consoles.

The other factor I found "back in the day" was that online gaming didn't really exist for consoles until the OG Xbox in 2001. So if you wanted online multiplayer back in the 90s PC was the only viable option really. To me that was more of an incentive to spend the extra on a gaming PC as it offered something consoles couldn't back then even more than enhanced visuals. That's no longer the case though I appreciate certain games/genres still only really work on PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was but then you'd have had to spend a fair bit more cash to get a pentium pc with a 3D accelerator card back then compared to the Playstation. Which I think had actually received a price cut from £300 down to £200 by '97.
Yes I paid around £1000 for just a pretty average base unit with no monitor back then..

Soldato
I have my pc, monitor and 55” tv in the same room :p. I am the same. I have a 50” tv in the living room but a real pain to hook that up to the pc as it’s just too far away. And it’s in a position not best suited to gaming anyway.

There are many games which I prefer to play on the OLED though as it just looks fantastic in comparison. Rdr2 for example looked amazing where it looks a bit dull and flat on my monitor in my opinion.

However the monitor has the edge for all other type of steam game and fps games where the high refresh is much preferred.

Games like cyberpunk for example I’ll be playing at 4k 60hz on the OLED.

Yeah red dead 2 is seriously lacking colour, but it can be fixed on a decent tv with things like contrast enhancer. The HDR on red dead is also great feature and the even if you have hdr monitor it doesn't get near the levels of the OLED/QLED.

Have you tried running your first person shooters at 1440p on your OLED with unlocked frames and vsync off?. It's what i do on my qled.
I have always used my big tv for the first person shooters, even on my old 60hz 1080p plasma.
I just run 200fps vsync off.

Also does your oled do 1440p 120hz? I know some do some don't.

Back
Top Bottom