The Coronavirus food recommendations thread

Associate
One single person mentioned bog roll! That would be most important.

Frozen or tinned stuff. No point buying for sake of it, save waste, save money.

Healthy food is irrelevant when you're sick. It's most important in day to day. Look how many carriers of the virus there are, then look who's actually sick. Was it 9/10, or 4/5, i forget.

I'm more concerned with how bored i'd be.

Soldato
How long would it take to chew and swallow a cork? Is it even possible, if you're not Monsieur Mangetout?

Doesn't take the pooches long to munch through a wine cork. Mind you, if you did eat the cork, the post digestion residue might be difficult to flush down the loo with the floatage factor.

Soldato
I always like a bit of supply insurance. Might be growing up poor</teeny_tiny_violins> with parents that grew up during rationing that makes me distrust easy times.

I like Ryvita as a long-life bread substitute. Keeps ages and tastes pretty much the same even when it's out of date. Tasty with cheese at any time.
Peanut butter: doesn't keep forever, but long enough and pretty nutritionally/calorie dense.
Baked beans: a meal in a tin, food of champions, especially cold from the tin.
Tinned mixed bean salad: tasty, and five a day-ish in a tin.
Tuna: I feel bad for helping rape the oceans, but tuna's a regular meal here and tins keep for years. Not that they get much chance.
Mayo/Salad cream: when the margarine runs out you want something to moisten your Ryvita.
Tinned Sweetcorn: because I could live off tuna/sweetcorn/salad cream sarnies (or mixed with crushed Ryvita) for months.
Microwave brown rice: roughage and useful straight out of the packet if there's a power cut.
Tinned curries/mince&onion/etc. Surprisingly tasty in many cases, and calorie dense.
Tinned veg: never as tasty as frozen, but I always have a few tins tucked away.
Ginger Nuts! Because Megan shouldn't be the only one who gets a tasty treat during militia lockdown. They keep for ages and aren't so moreish that you scoff the lot too soon.
Dried pasta: keeps forever. The date is irrelevant. Not much fun to chew if you can't cook it or soak it for six months though.
Porridge oats & dried fruit: Healthy and can be left overnight if you can't heat up your porridge. Or use the oats to attract birds if you're short of protein.
Long life milk: but test it before buying much. Tesco's own brand makes a lousy cup of tea. Aldi's is better.
Tins of evaporated milk: useful if the milk runs out, and I'm a child of the 70s so evap is still peak treat in my world, especially on Corn Flakes.
Granola type cereal. Roughage, tasty, keeps for yonks. Can be eaten as a snack or turned into porridge.
Water: I got caught up in one of those mains burst supply losses once. No fun at all. So I always keep a bit in. Not enough for loo flushing or a water canon to disperse looters, but enough to avoid peak queuing times.
Dog food: Because why waste my precious baked beans on the rest of the family? (Also, we have a dog).
The freezer always has loads of frozen mixed veg in it, bread, and a few ready meals. But I don't rely on the freezer... the food in there would be eaten first if things got complicated.
Instant coffee: Because life isn't worth living without coffee, even if I have to eat the granules out of the jar.

Optional extras:
Candles: Because I remember the 70s power cuts.
Worcestershire sauce: condiment of champions. Useful for spicing up crow soup, pigeon pie, or <D&D>rat on a stick</D&D> if society breaks down or Tesco run out of hummus.
Ibuprofen: my currency of choice for the new economy after The Collapse. Lighter to carry than gold, less dependent on a functioning internet and folk stopping laughing than Bitcoin, and more useful than an AR-15 once your bullets run out.

Back
Top Bottom