• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Yeah red dead 2 is seriously lacking colour, but it can be fixed on a decent tv with things like contrast enhancer. The HDR on red dead is also great feature and the even if you have hdr monitor it doesn't get near the levels of the OLED/QLED.

Have you tried running your first person shooters at 1440p on your OLED with unlocked frames and vsync off?. It's what i do on my qled.
I have always used my big tv for the first person shooters, even on my old 60hz 1080p plasma.
I just run 200fps vsync off.

Also does your oled do 1440p 120hz? I know some do some don't.

All 4k games look excellent on it vs my monitor no doubt about it.

Ive tried it and it does look better however IMO even at 8ft which it is now it’s just too far away to be consistent with fps game I play such as BF4/V. Even at 120hz it doesn’t feel as responsive or as smooth/consistent as my monitor.

Mine is the E8 (8series), so unfortunately it only does 120hz 1080p or 4k 60hz. 4k 60hz has been perfect with a controller. Even at 1080p 120hz the difference is marginal with a controller not enough to make me want a new tv anyway. Plus I prefer the crispness of 4k.

Soldato
And then the PC was lightyears ahead when the voodoo 1 came out in 1997

And Boy did that voodoo card smooth graphics make the playstation blocky software looking graphics look like crap
Yeah, the PS1 had dodgy 3D because it did not do perspective-correct texture mapping. Textures were always "twitching" as the view moved, and there were often other issues like there being visible seams between polygons.

Lots of fun games of course, but pretty grim 3D rendering even compared to N64.

Soldato
All 4k games look excellent on it vs my monitor no doubt about it.

Ive tried it and it does look better however IMO even at 8ft which it is now it’s just too far away to be consistent with fps game I play such as BF4/V. Even at 120hz it doesn’t feel as responsive or as smooth/consistent as my monitor.

Mine is the E8 (8series), so unfortunately it only does 120hz 1080p or 4k 60hz. 4k 60hz has been perfect with a controller. Even at 1080p 120hz the difference is marginal with a controller not enough to make me want a new tv anyway. Plus I prefer the crispness of 4k.

Yeah I must be the only guy on pc who plays overwatch laying down 10 foot from the tv with a controller.

I do alright on it as well, I hit 3815 sr one season. That was at 1080p 60hz lol on my plasma.

I haven't done any 4k gaming on mine because my gtx 1080 struggles too much and there doesn't seem anything worth upgrading to until next gen. I use 4k 60hz for my desktop and 1440p 120 for gaming. I do look forward to playing some games at 4k, I tried gta 4k and it was super crisp.

I don't like using vsync at 60hz because it adds to much lag. I'm quite happy using vsync at 120hz though, I think it's around 70ms less than at 60hz.

I would have bought a gaming monitor years ago but they are just to small for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I must be the only guy on pc who plays overwatch laying down 10 foot from the tv with a controller.

I do alright on it as well, I hit 3815 sr one season. That was at 1080p 60hz lol on my plasma.

I haven't done any 4k gaming on mine because my gtx 1080 struggles too much and there doesn't seem anything worth upgrading to until next gen. I use 4k 60hz for my desktop and 1440p 120 for gaming. I do look forward to playing some games at 4k, I tried gta 4k and it was super crisp.

I don't like using vsync at 60hz because it adds to much lag. I'm quite happy using vsync at 120hz though, I think it's around 70ms less than at 60hz.

I would have bought a gaming monitor years ago but they are just to small for me.

I have a 32” 165hz monitor and it does well for everything I need gaming wise. Used to have a 27” but the 32” is far better.

55” 4k looks spectacular IMO especially on something like an OLED with true blacks. But for me I really struggle to aim both with a controller and at a distance of 8ft which the tv is at. K+M on my monitor is much preferred for fps games.

Just a basic shot of rdr2
VucA7Jv.jpg

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
i think the biggest issue when it comes to hdr on pc's is the dubious way some companies claim their monitors are hdr ready when they arnt.

Soldato
i think the biggest issue when it comes to hdr on pc's is the dubious way some companies claim their monitors are hdr ready when they arnt.

HDR10 has standards, best to check the monitor is certified for it. Most aren't. It's a shame that vendors like ASUS then make up their own BS marketing terms because they aren't allowed to use the official terminology because they don't meet the standards.

"HDR600" is a load of ********. If an LCD/LED/IPS panel can't hit 1000nits then it's not a proper HDR screen.

They should just switch to OLED imo, then they don't have to worry about brightness. OLED can achieve excellent HDR contrast levels with just 500 nits because of it's deep blacks but LCD/IPS/LED needs to get far brighter in the highlights to make up for the poor black level.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
"HDR600" is a load of ********. If an LCD/LED/IPS panel can't hit 1000nits then it's not a proper HDR screen.

and thats the issue. i can see a lot of people blowing silly money on supposed hdr monitors next year and getting a nasty shock.

Soldato
if thats true about the possible prices seems my estimate of a min $599 price for the top model could be correct, oh well let the gnashing of teeth start if true :D

Does sound likely that a top tier version could cost £500-600 if both MS and Sony are releasing a ps5/xbox and ps5/xbox pro at the same time.

There's an interesting question. If it was 2013 again and you could have a PS4/Xbox for ~£400 would you have paid £600 to get a PS4 Pro /Xbox X had both systems been available at launch?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
55inch is 1650 ish for the latest model but the one previous can be had around 1300 now I believe?

LG c9 oled.

so maybe next year 1400 for a new model maybe, so yeah give it a couple of years and 120hz maybe come a selling point for people then, but have to wait to see if theres ever a killer app on either consoles that will justify it for most.

Soldato
OP
so maybe next year 1400 for a new model maybe, so yeah give it a couple of years and 120hz maybe come a selling point for people then, but have to wait to see if theres ever a killer app on either consoles that will justify it for most.

They have set the mark for their TVs now and with the fact that the TVs support gsync is going to mean more and more take the leap. Just a shame coronavirus will slow things this year I guess.

120hz oleds will likely be under a grand this time next year.

Linus did a video on their 77inch oled too and was mega impressed. It became his personal gaming screen.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Linus did a video on their 77inch oled too and was mega impressed. It became his personal gaming screen.

yeah im sure it did, nice when you get bought stuff :p and isnt this like the 3rd or 4th big screen he's had "sent" to him to test drive or whatever. im sure he'l be getting a new one by end of year though.

Soldato
The samsungs 55" ones start at around £500 but they don't have hdmi 2.1 so only do 120hz at 1080p and 1440p, 4k is 60hz only.

samsung TVs can do 4k120hz if you enable chroma subsampling in your gpu driver, but then you can't turn on hdr

Back
Top Bottom