Poll: Do you still have an optical drive?

Do you still have an optical drive?

• Yes

Votes: 102 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 84 45.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Have an external DVD drive in my office - only gets used occasionally on a machine I have that refuses to boot from USB sticks, but will boot from USB dvd drive....

Also got an internal bluray drive I use for ripping media and recovering old DVD based backups.

I'm thinking about moving to some kind of bluray based backup solution as well for super important stuff.

Optical media still has a place I think - great for chucking in the post for example if you need to get a lot of data to someone.

Soldato
Not had one on my own PC for 5+ years, rarely get asked with customer builds these days and with how most cases no longer come with the 5.25" bay external drives are the way most of customers go.

Underboss
yep, still use it now and again, mainly for reading my Music CDs and then copy to a flash drive to use in the car
and old ,memories and software

new case wont have space for it, so ill be buying an external optical drive

Associate
My current PC does have a DVD writer (Optiarc AD-5280s) installed, and I do frequently use it for ripping any music CDs I buy with EAC, then reburning them for the car, along with the occassional backups of photos onto blank DVDs.
I am planning to install another Optiarc DVD writer into my next build, but if I get a Blu-ray it'll be external.

H3x

H3x

Associate
None of the PC's we have have drive bays for them but I do have a cheap portable one just in case the need ever arises

Soldato
Last one I had went faulty a few years ago. Didn't bother to replace it as it was only rarely used. The last case I choose has no space for one, so I thought I'd just get an external one. Still haven't done that yet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not had one for probably 10 years or more :D
Sounds about right for me too. Had my current case for around 7 years and I never installed one in it. Don’t think I had one in my previous one either. Used to have two before though.

I have an external one that hardly ever gets used.

Soldato
I do some photography for the local museum and the easiest way to transfer the processed shots back to the curator I work with is on CD. The IT kit they have belongs in a museum so there are plenty of drives there to read the CDs.
I also rip audio CDs.

Soldato
I have still have two optical drives. :D

Separate blu-ray and DVD drives as the blu-ray is annoyingly slower when ripping DVDs, otherwise it'd be the one drive to do both jobs. I just rip some of my own bought media to hard drive, perfect for backing up to another drive which is only powered up when ripping or transferring rips to be encoded.

Back
Top Bottom