What’s more reliable?

Soldato
Its a subaru. And car forums got many people with engine problems like other boxers. Head gasket etc

Care to share some examples? I'm on two of the main GT86 UK forums, haven't seen any head gasket issues even mentioned. In fact...

I've not heard any headgasket issues with the FA engines unless people were being silly modifying them?

...this. Most issues I've seen have been people overdoing it with modifications.

Associate
OP
That’s one thing I’ll never be doing to the car “modifications”, one thing I don’t have the money anymore and I can’t see the point in something that depreciates so much. Prefer to keep my cars as stock as possible.

I’ll only be using it for commuting and the odd time at the weekend....

Soldato
I never came across blown head gaskets either. Some people killed them running silly tunes or by running slick tyres without a baffled sump. So, user error.

Soldato
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1694064

Just one example. If you google gt86 engine failure you will see how bad it is. Its the only reason i didnt get the gt86.
Toyota screwed up with a subaru engine. Shame really gt86 was ideal car for them to have dropped in a 4age revving to 11k. Lol

I just tried googling that, and came up with a few examples, but not an extraordinary amount.
Now try Googling "golf gti engine failure". I don't have the time to scrutinise every result, but a quick scan seems to show just as many results for that, as for GT86 engine failures. In my experience, the amount of owners with no problems far outstrips the amount of failures - which is what I'd expect with any mainstream car, really.

I've also talked about the engine with the guy who I use to service/tune mine, when the discussion turned to power, and he was of the opinion that despite the criticisms about it's output, the engine was a solid and reliable unit - and given his experience with them (which is extensive, including FI modification and tuning), I'd trust his opinion.

I don't doubt that there have been some engine issues, but to seize on that and claim that there's some sort of inherent reliability issue seems a bit of an exaggeration, especially given the overwhelming majority of owners who haven't reported problems. I've certainly never been aware of any widespread concerns, despite being active in 2 prominent communities (precisely so I can stay abreast of any problems to look out for). I would suggest that if you actively go and search for reports of engine failures on any car, you would probably come up with multiple results, but to use that as a reason to write the car off entirely seems a bit overcautious.

Soldato
Most results are probably from the US, where some early US spec cars had a bad engine map causing blown seals.

The 2.0 boxer engines have always been solid, especially in NA form.

Associate
GT86 brill car just be careful she is a playful little thing. 1st thing to do is change the battery and forget about factory ones there bad, Just fitted a 75 Amper in mine no troubles since. Also, change out tires to Pro-sport 4's. If you have the Sport kit (with big brakes) be wary there not the same as standard and need larger brake pads. The Toyota GT86 is also a noisy car but fun and very comfortable.

Soldato
Two massively different cars, both great at what they do though.
Do you prefer something properly sporty and entertaining? Or good solid practical all rounder?

Both reliable cars, so I would take that out of the equation.

Personally, I'd have the GT86 every time out of those two.

Associate
OP
It’s nice to see people are defending the NA corner which seems to be a dying breed these days... people who review these cars says it needs a turbo....it feels very underpowered compare to what....another car with a turbo in it.

There is nothing wrong with this engine, it’s a shame that only Mazda and Toyota are making these types of engines now in this category...

I have access to another car which has a 1.5 150bhp turbo in it and I prefer driving my 1.3 NA Yaris, yes it could be bigger and comfier like the other car but I prefer the sound of the Reving engine.

I think having a turbo is cheating your way to 60mph, I’d prefer to work my way up and it sounds so much better in the process...

Associate
Totally irrelevant but I'll never forget the sheer look of disappointment on a brand new gt86 owners face as he tried to play vs my old combo van z20LET. 270bhp and an empty rear, he was not impressed
Seriously though they do look cool and I'd go for the 86 if I was in your shoes.

OcUK Staff
GT86 it is a cool and fun car to drive. If you ever get bored the modding potential goes to the moon and back.

Drive both, because everyone likes different things and a Golf GTI and GT86 drive very differently.

Back
Top Bottom