Just got shunted up the rear!

Soldato
OP
It's all booked in at Chertwells in Derby, meant to be a very good body shop.

They've got some kind of Ferrari simulator there :)

My lower back and left side is all quite stiff today, I tried to move off to the left so this guy would miss me. Think I took the impact on that side.

Hope it's not written off, guess who doesn't have GAP insurance....?

The Chrome bit along the bottom of the boot has moved forward on mine, feels like quite a solid bit of the car....

https://www.travall.co.uk/images/product/TDG1469-05.jpg

** Do not hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Sounds like your boot floor has been creased if you can't get the lining back down, that's going to tip you very close to write off if not over the line.

Soldato
OP
Just had a nice new 4 Series Grand Tourer delivered by Enterprise. Not as many toys as my C Class, but looks like it’ll be comfy on my spins down to Oxford later in the week

got to say this whole process has been fairly pain free so far. Insurance and rental guys have been amazing.

just hope the claim is all fine etc.

who do I see about our various aches and pains? Or leave it a few days to see if things sort themselves out?

Soldato
Just had a nice new 4 Series Grand Tourer delivered by Enterprise. Not as many toys as my C Class, but looks like it’ll be comfy on my spins down to Oxford later in the week

got to say this whole process has been fairly pain free so far. Insurance and rental guys have been amazing.

just hope the claim is all fine etc.

who do I see about our various aches and pains? Or leave it a few days to see if things sort themselves out?

I would suggest your GP. My partner was rear-ended on the motorway at 50-60mph and had a slightly stiff back for a couple of days, otherwise he's been fine since.

Soldato
Yeah see your gp
That way there's a record of it if
Needed for insurance company
No gap insurance may prove to be
Extremely painful
I know some people say don't bother
With it
But mine was 200 quid for 3 years
Compared to the cost of the car
It's nothing
Yeah I might never need it but would
Rather have peace of mind

Soldato
No it doesn't...if I pulled out of a side road which caused you to hit me in the rear I would be at fault for pulling out of the side road.

Source - This is my job...
I assumed he meant in this type of scenario, I guess tricky ones are when somebody changes lanes then brakes, I think that might of been scam going round a few years ago.

Soldato
I assumed he meant in this type of scenario, I guess tricky ones are when somebody changes lanes then brakes, I think that might of been scam going round a few years ago.

Yes, I though brake testing scams weren't dead, equally (earlier thread) the mercedes active braking, that may override the user.

were there two lanes on this on-ramp ? previously mentioned rear-dash cam, whilst they don't film relative speed/braking behaviour well, obviously do capture position.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I though brake testing scams weren't dead, equally (earlier thread) the Mercedes active braking, that may override the user.

were there two lanes on this on-ramp ? previously mentioned rear-dash cam, whilst they don't film relative speed/braking behaviour well, obviously do capture position.

No, one lane on the slip road. The car in front didn't get up to speed very well, then couldn't join as there was a car in the inside lane. The car in front braked to about 20mph, I did too. It wasn't a full on ABS braking situation.

I don't know what the guy behind was doing if I had time to see him in the mirror then say "oh ****" to my Wife. and then try and manoeuvre to the left

Man of Honour
So I just pulled out the boot lining to have a proper look at what's happened. There's a dent in the bit where the spare wheel should go, repairable? or does it not really matter?
I'm not an expert so happy to be corrected by someone. But I believe the boot floor is part of the crumple zone. So it needs to be repaired to maintain structural integrity in the event of another crash in the future. It's usually repairable but will push up the cost. Whether it causes it to be a write off will depend on overall costs and the value of the car.

Commissario
Parkers estimates £14-16k for that car (depending on mileage) - I'm not clued up on car repair prices but isn't the rule of thumb over 50% of car value = write off?

Back
Top Bottom